Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cinelli Supercorsa (What's the dilly?)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-02-07, 11:42 PM
redmist
outside agitator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i saw a cinelli supercorsa on e-bay today, and i thought about bidding on it just because it was so beautiful, but it went quickly with the buy-it-now option! i didn't buy it now, because i thought it was a shade expensive.

what's the story on these frames? i've searched around here, and not much info is available for such a "known" frame. i see that they are columbus steel (neuron), and are lugged, but what's the geometry like? what's it like to ride? is it ridiculously heavy like the "old days"?

i'm warming up to the idea of building a traditional steel frame with light-weight modern components- a retro-rod so to speak. i want to keep things under 20 lbs (gulp), and i want to enter some local races on it. i know, it sounds crazy to want to race young guys (i'm on the wrong side of mid-30's) on a bike built not for racing, but for riding, but hey- i'm old-school.

Last edited by redmist; 12-12-07 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-03-07, 12:13 AM
moki

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great reviews on roadbike review

one review states the angles are "pure criterium": st angle is 74deg and the headtube angle is 75.5 deg, i.e. very steep, twitchy, but stable at speed. This review was for an '85 SC built w. SLX, not Neuron, so a 2002 SC is probably much different.

No idea what a new SC would go for, but way back in 02, I bet a new frameset would be over 2K. Worth it? Maybe, but for that price, you're paying a lot for the pedigree and the hot paintjob. For $850 BIN... it was worth it to someone, clearly.

You shouldn't have much trouble keeping a steel bike under 20lbs fully outfitted. My early-mid 80s Rossin weighs under 20, and that's with a steel railed saddle, chorus and strap pedals, a 1st gen c-record rear der (heavvvvy, but it's really aero ). Tubular wheels help shed weight.

good luck with the hunt. If you see any more reasonably priced NOS Cinellis near my damn size, lemme know!.
Old 10-03-07, 01:02 AM
caterham

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
>>>one review states the angles are "pure criterium": st angle is 74deg and the headtube angle is 75.5 deg, i.e. very steep, twitchy, but stable at speed. This review was for an '85 SC built w. SLX, not Neuron, so a 2002 SC is probably much different. <<<

Here's supercorsa's sizing & geometry chart-

>>>I bet a new frameset would be over 2K. Worth it? Maybe, but for that price, you're paying a lot for the pedigree and the hot paintjob.<<<

Current MSRP is US$1650 w/fork.Pricing heavily reflects the abysmally weak US Dollar
GVH has inventory in stock at US$1100

>>>You shouldn't have much trouble keeping a steel bike under 20lbs fully outfitted.<<<

BTI/Cinelli USA gives these figures for weight-
Weight (frame/fork): 3.75lb/1.1lb (1700g/499g) - size 54

https://www.cinelli.it/EN/index.html
https://www.cinelli-usa.com/

https://www.gvhbikes.com/

Old 10-03-07, 04:41 PM
redmist
outside agitator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys for the links- can anyone interpret the geometry into laymen's terms?

i love that bike- red is a bit...too red for me though.

Old 10-03-07, 05:32 PM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redmist
i love that bike- red is a bit...too red for me though.

Shut yo' mouth! Ferrari Rosso is the ONLY color a Cinelli should be!

Here's mine:

It's mostly SRAM Rival, except for the C Record Deltas. I have a Record crank, too, but went with the compact for a recent event.
Old 10-03-07, 06:50 PM
redmist
outside agitator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oopfoo

It's mostly SRAM Rival, except for the C Record Deltas. I have a Record crank, too, but went with the compact for a recent event.
well, i know it's very traditional, but i don't want to stick out too much, but truth be told, i was going to bid on the red super corsa on ebay- i'd rather have the bike i wanted rather than the color i wanted and the wrong bike.

strange that you went with sram- i would think that campy would be the only choice for a retro-cinelli. nice brakes though

tell me what you think of the bike. what do you like, what bothers you. is it worth the $1,110 from GHB? any issues? and if you think i should have bought it on ebay for $850!!! (i'm still mad about that one!).

recent event? did you race the super corsa?

Old 10-03-07, 07:15 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The buy it now price was very cheap for a Cinelli Supercoursa. You should have bought it immediately. The Cinelli is a great steel bike. I have seen older ones go for $5000. I have a 1969 Cinelli and find it is the bike I gauge all my other bikes by. I wish I had seen the frame. I would have bought it in a flash for that buy it now price.
Old 10-03-07, 07:16 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts

Here's mine:

During the Cino Cinelli days, "the" Cinelli color was Silver. Not a high price nor super deal on this one, Cinelli's reputation was built on conservative stable road bikes, this is a Post Cino bike, where things had gone much more mod. Good? Bad? just different, and more like other Italian bikes of the period, so Cinelli geometry is very time dependent after say 1977. Talking road bikes only here.
Old 10-03-07, 08:22 PM
redmist
outside agitator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
During the Cino Cinelli days, "the" Cinelli color was Silver. Not a high price nor super deal on this one, Cinelli's reputation was built on conservative stable road bikes, this is a Post Cino bike, where things had gone much more mod. Good? Bad? just different, and more like other Italian bikes of the period, so Cinelli geometry is very time dependent after say 1977. Talking road bikes only here.
i'd prefer a silver one then. atm, silver is one of my favorite colors but i'll take whatever i can get- red, black, silver, what have you (maybe not yellow though).

i think it's odd that they call the color "ferrari rosso", because ferrari doesn't call their red that, they call it "rosso corsa" "racing red", the traditional color of an italian automobile racing team- rosso corsa is not the sole domain of ferrari, but also include maserati, and alfa romeo, motorcycles such as mv agusta, cagiva, moto guzzi, and finally, ducati. british teams use british racing green for english teams, silver for german, yellow for belgian, orange for the dutch, white/red for the japanese, white/blue for american, and french blue for the, you guessed it, french. i'm sure there are more, but that's all i know.

red is traditionally associated with italy, but the original color was a light blue (azzurra). this was the color of the savoia, the ruling house of italy from 1861 to 1946. this is why their national football team play in azzura (light blue).

now, about the bike, is this bike strictly a "looker" or does it go as well? i love the way it looks, but i like my bike to have some go as well.

Old 10-03-07, 09:19 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 122 Posts
Hi Redmist, Moki was talking about a Supercorsa with criterium specs. here it is:

Head tube angle: 75.5 degrees, Seat tube angle 74.5 degrees, seat tube c to c 585mm, top tube c to c 575mm. Columbus SPX tubing - slightly thicker walled tubing just right for a stiffer criterium frame (one set of biddon mounts).

I have fitted a Cinelli VIP set; seat, biddon cover, tubular pouch, suede handle bar wrap (bars and stem), toe straps and alloy seat post replacement bolt for seat clamp.

It is a 'China Blue' colour which matches the Cobalto brake centre bolt stones. ICS levers are fitted as well.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 10-14-20 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 11:32 PM
redmist
outside agitator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what year is bike from?

the super corsa is such a classic looking design, and i like it even better in criterium guise. it's looks ready for business.

as for the price of that e-bay auction, a new one from gvh is $1,100, only $250 more, and it was $250 cheaper. oh well...lesson learned.

Last edited by redmist; 12-12-07 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-04-07, 02:26 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

[QUOTE=redmist;5387775]what year is bike from?

The Blue Cinelli was bought new in 1985 but the order was placed in 1984 by the bike shop. The shop ordered red, white and blue frames. I fell in love with the red one but it was stolen during a nightime breakin.

It is great to ride although it is twitchy but it's fast. It weighs a respectable 21lbs. I rode it for a few years as my main ride. It is still in great condition and the Campy Super Record gruppo looks most appropriate and is in great condition as well. I purchased the rare Cinelli VIP set after I retired it from daily use.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 07-28-11 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-04-07, 04:17 AM
caterham

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that's one stunningly beautiful supercorsa, gary.
she's obviously had a very good home for all these years.
Old 10-04-07, 07:28 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by redmist
but i don't want to stick out too much
Then you shouldn't be riding a Super Corsa

-Kurt

Old 10-04-07, 07:32 AM
moki

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ferrari red is for ferraris.

Old 10-04-07, 07:39 AM
Gary Fountain

2 great examples of what Cinelli is all about.

The older bike built in the era of Cino Cinelli - a most respected Italian frame builder and a Cinelli Laser when the Columbo family took over the Cinelli company and pushed the boundries of frame technology and easthetics.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 10-04-07 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 07:48 AM
skinny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it a fake one or a real one?
Old 10-04-07, 07:57 AM
rugerben

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow. The bikes you guys ahve posted are beeeeyyyyooootiful. ugh. I wish I had more money.
Old 10-04-07, 09:07 AM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moki
Ferrari red is for ferraris.
As though I'm willing to take aesthetic advice from a man who puts aerobars on a Cinelli.
Old 10-04-07, 10:01 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
As though I'm willing to take aesthetic advice from a man who puts aerobars on a Cinelli.
Granted, but that IS a Cinelli Laser, so I think that is excusable.
Old 03-07-08, 02:10 AM
Grimlock
Frozen in carbonite

Bikes: '85 Full Cycle Cycle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have any experiences with the new ones or a current review to share? I'm weighing my options between a brand new Supercorsa and a Gios Compact Pro and I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on either yet. I also don't have the opportunity to see a Cinelli in person before I buy whereas the shop has the Gios frame in stock, FWIW. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-07-08, 05:04 AM
74Cinelli

Bikes: 1974 Cinelli Super Corsa, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2002 Trek 850

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know what the closest match for the silver color of the old style Cinelli's ? I would like to touch up my 74 Cinelli and was looking for a good source. Alfa romeo silver?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cinelli in the Fall 07.jpg (45.5 KB, 363 views)
Old 03-07-08, 09:02 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
They are great rides. Only negative for me is the thin, fragile paint.
Old 03-07-08, 09:49 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Here's mine, 1984. I think the thing about the Super Corsas is Cinelli introduced a number of innovations in his frame design, they've been in production since the 40s or 50s and they really ride great. Plus, they're beautiful!
Attached Images
cin1.jpg (94.6 KB, 382 views)
cin4.jpg (62.0 KB, 338 views)
cin5.jpg (57.4 KB, 343 views)
Old 07-27-11, 03:20 PM
HankStamper

Bikes: Peugeot PX10, Cinelli Supercorsa, Colnago Master

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
anyone have a good match for the cinelli supercorsa ferrari red? mine is in great shape with exception of a couple of larger chips.
bought this on craigslist in seattle, campy record drivetrain, been a blast to ride. thanks.
Attached Images
cinelli.jpg (102.0 KB, 664 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.