Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Eastern Canada
Reload this Page >

Need help to prove I bought my Miyata Six-Ten in Toronto, ON please

Search
Notices
Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 02:44 PM
Tranquility

Bikes: Miyata Six-Ten (Men's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everybody/Bien venue!

I love biking and golden retriever dogs!

I bought a gorgeous, black Miyata Six-Ten (men's) touring bike in 1979-1980 in Toronto, Canada.
My baby and I rode the equivalent of across Canada several times.

I attended grad school in the USA during the end of the 1990s and early 2000s.
I left my bike in Portland, OR figuring I'd never really need it again. However, I have since decided that I would like to bring it back to Toronto where I am living now.
I have the bike's serial number but the store I bought it from and I gather the bike company are out of business now.

***I need to prove to Canada Customs that it is my bike and I bought it in Toronto otherwise they can be very mean and they will slam me with inordinate duties and taxes on MY Canadian bike.***

Is there any way to prove with the serial number that it was sold in Toronto, Canada and not in the USA.
Unfortunately, I still can't prove that I bought it here new and didn't buy it second hand from someone else.

I customized the gear ratios, etc on it so it rides like the perfect bike. I really, really want to get it back. I'll never have the money I would need to buy anything of comparable quality like that ever again. But most of all, it is irreplaceable because when I rode her we were One with the wind.

I would greatly appreciate any helpful suggestions you have.

Sincerely,
Tranquility on my Miyata
Old 07-11-18, 12:54 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Are you flying down to pick it up? If you stay more than 48 hours in the US you get an 800$ exemption on goods so I would be shocked if a customs agent though an old touring bike was worth more than 800$ and that you would fly all the way across the continent to pick one up when they do show up for sale in Ontario.
Old 07-11-18, 01:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
What about old photos...

Not necessarily proof, but if you can show that you were riding the bike 30 to 40 years ago, they might let it slide.
Old 07-16-18, 07:05 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Older and obviously 'used' products are usually allowed through the border without hassle. I cannot imagine a CBSA agent will look at a 40 year old used bike and say "you just bought that!"
Old 08-21-18, 04:58 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Worst case, look for a really cheap used advert for one and bring that as justification of current value - I'd think something sub $50 should be justifiable.