Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Tour de Steamboat vs Copper Triangle

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 08:26 AM
RFEngineer

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu Gravel Bike, 2015 Motobecane Turino Team

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just completed the Copper Triangle organized ride and had a blast! Already thinking about what to do next year. Can anyone say how Tour de Steamboat compares in difficulty level and scenery quality? The Triple Bypass might be an option too, so throw in thoughts on that if you have them. One big ride for me a year and I need to choose wisely.
Thanks!
Alan
Old 08-08-18, 03:25 PM
mje

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Sequoia, Cannondale RT3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tour de Steamboat has about 1500ft more climbing, but it is concentrated in only two climbs instead of three. It is about 40 miles longer, and has the pontential for more wind exposure. The scenery is much more wide open vistas, and not so much in forests. You are a long way from any town for most of the ride so you feel much more isolated. The ride has far fewer participants. I rode Tour de Steamboat for the first time in eight years this year and will probably ride it again next year. I don't expect to ride the Copper Triangle event again.

Triple Bypass is harder than either of the other two, both longer distance and more climbing.