Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Old Mountain Bike inner tube question

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 02:46 PM
Giadzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just decided to recondition a bicycle we had in storage. In trying to replace the inner tubes, I have had a difficult time finding the right fit. The bicycle was a gift from my employer many years ago, It is an 18 Speed, size 26, Columbia Kodiak Men's bike. The inner tube has the following markings: HM106408. I have tried the current Mountain bike tubes as well as the standard tubes but they are way too large. Any suggestions as to finding the correct size? Thanks.
Old 08-21-18, 02:54 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Giadzi
I just decided to recondition a bicycle we had in storage. In trying to replace the inner tubes, I have had a difficult time finding the right fit. The bicycle was a gift from my employer many years ago, It is an 18 Speed, size 26, Columbia Kodiak Men's bike. The inner tube has the following markings: HM106408. I have tried the current Mountain bike tubes as well as the standard tubes but they are way too large. Any suggestions as to finding the correct size? Thanks.
What size is the tires, it should be marked on the sidewalls Most 26" mountain bikes can use a universal type tube 26" x 1.75"-2.125" like this one from Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Spor...-2-25/17619562

Old 08-21-18, 06:48 PM
Giadzi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried

I tried a few. The size is 26x1.75
but for some reason the ones I bought are too large and I don't understand that. I have almost an inch excess on the tube. I even measured it against the old tube. The tube itself is also thinner, and almost like a racing bike. I know Columbia doesn't make the bike anymore but I figured the tubes would still be standard.
Old 08-21-18, 09:38 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
but for some reason the ones I bought are too large and I don't understand that. I have almost an inch excess on the tube. I even measured it against the old tube. The tube itself is also thinner, and almost like a racing bike. I know Columbia doesn't make the bike anymore but I figured the tubes would still be standard.
Do you possibly have a tube for an old Schwinn or something? What exactly does it say on the box the tube came in?
Old 08-22-18, 02:44 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Are you saying the circumference is too large or the width of the tube?

If it is the circumference then you are not buying the right size tube.....any chance you misread the size of the tire and it is a 24 x 1.75?

Old 08-22-18, 03:03 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
You're measuring the tube before inflating it, right? Inflate the tube until it takes shape, and it'll fit. Or take it to a bike shop and let them install it.
Old 08-22-18, 05:26 AM
Giadzi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Are you saying the circumference is too large or the width of the tube?

If it is the circumference then you are not buying the right size tube.....any chance you misread the size of the tire and it is a 24 x 1.75?

Nope, reading it correctly, that is why I don't understand it. Tried putting on the tube and it on and still have leftover length. Old tube is also not as thick. Just for the heck of it, I may try a 24 to see if it fits even though all the markings are 26. Very mysterious.
Old 08-22-18, 06:51 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Nope, reading it correctly, that is why I don't understand it. Tried putting on the tube and it on and still have leftover length. Old tube is also not as thick. Just for the heck of it, I may try a 24 to see if it fits even though all the markings are 26. Very mysterious.
It may seem to big if you over inflated the tube before installation. Try letting all the air out and let it sit for a day so it may shrink back to size. I guess it is possible that the packaging on the tube is mismarked and you actually have a larger tube... Strange indeed.
Old 08-22-18, 06:54 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Possibly you've just pumped too much air in before installing the tube. It doesn't take much extra air to make the circumference too large. Put in as little air as possible and still have the tube more or less hold its shape.

The tube does say 1.75, and not 1 3/4, right?
Old 08-22-18, 11:26 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
What does the side of the tire say?
Old 08-24-18, 06:31 AM
Giadzi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
What does the side of the tire say?

As I look at the tube, it appears thinner, even the mil isn't as thick so possibly it is a three speed tire. It has 26X1.75 on the tube. Will take it to our local bicycle store and ask them. Thaks for all the replies.
Old 08-27-18, 05:35 AM
Giadzi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I went to the local bike shop and they used a tube that maximum size was 1.75 (the ones I was buying and saw in stores 1.75 was the minimum size that went up to 2.25).