Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Was doing so good this season...until I burped

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 04:14 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

Luckily it was only at CX practice yesterday. Been trying lower and lower pressures, down to 25psi. Was actually 3 successive burps on the same lap starting with a bad bunny hop over a log coming down too hard on the front wheel. Then had another small burp on a hidden root in the dark, and finally a complete loss of pressure on the final burp on an off camber downhill. These wheels(stans alpha 340s) and tires(ritchey tubeless WCS shield 700x35s) have done pretty well the for the season being run closer to 30psi for my 175lb frame.

So my takeaways: Don't suck at bunny hopping, don't go too low on the pressure if you're heavier, and don't continue to ride a tire that burps.

What I'm a bit surprised about was burping on the bunny hop since generally I think of burping due to side loading the tire pulling the bead away. Anyone else experience this much? Is there a setup hack to help stop this? Thinking I'm going to pull the tire and add another strip of rim tape, but saw Stan's sells a rubber rim strip that supposedly pushes against the inside of the bead as well to help prevent the inward movement of the bead. Anyone try to build up the center channel of their wheel? The alpha 340 has a semi deep center channel even though the shoulder are generous