Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about chickening out tomorrow

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Thinking about chickening out tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 09:02 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been chickening out since I bought my new house 4.6 miles from my job. The weather's been nasty and I kept justifying not riding by saying I needed studded tires. The reality was i was terrified of the uncertainty of riding in the cold and with studded tires and also at double the commute length that I was accustomed to plus slower rolling tires. After I bought my 35mm schwalbe marathon winters, I rode around the block on some crappy roads over ruts, ice and packed snow and quickly determined it was sketchy at best. November 20 until two days ago is how long I drove in the 4.6 miles to work. I've regretted it this whole time.

I was nervous that these slower rolling tires and the added distance and my month and a half break from riding might make me late for my corporate job. And with kids, mornings get pretty hectic at my house.

It was a dumb excuse for me. But to echo other suggestions, there isn't really very much that should stop you from your commute except for not having the right gear. The tires make a massive difference and I don't think that there's very much that I won't ride into now that I've done it.

I hope you get your tires and report back soon enough.
Old 01-17-18, 09:24 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now I'm riding when it's cold and dry, but not when it's wet. I found out the hard way that if I have any nasty germs hanging around, getting wet and fighting a headwind when the weather is extremely cold will depress my immune system just enough to make me get sick.

Last time the roads were dry but there had been a recent snowfall I stayed on the road instead of getting on the bike path, since no studded tires. Technically illegal since there is a bike path, but I'd figure that maybe a police officer would take pity on me if I encountered one and if he didn't care about it being cold outside his car and if he was bored enough to pull me over. Pretty sure with all those if's I'm pretty safe.
Old 01-18-18, 06:45 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
Right now I'm riding when it's cold and dry, but not when it's wet. I found out the hard way that if I have any nasty germs hanging around, getting wet and fighting a headwind when the weather is extremely cold will depress my immune system just enough to make me get sick.

Last time the roads were dry but there had been a recent snowfall I stayed on the road instead of getting on the bike path, since no studded tires. Technically illegal since there is a bike path, but I'd figure that maybe a police officer would take pity on me if I encountered one and if he didn't care about it being cold outside his car and if he was bored enough to pull me over. Pretty sure with all those if's I'm pretty safe.
My rule of thumb is if I'm not prepared to explain it to the judge, I won't do it.
Old 01-18-18, 07:17 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
My rule of thumb is if I'm not prepared to explain it to the judge, I won't do it.
Lol, yeah, I do a few technically illegal things in traffic because I figure if I throw myself at the mercy of the court and explain how it made things safer for me and other traffic I'll get a pass.
Old 01-20-18, 08:02 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rachel120

If the city fails to plow the path, why should you be expected to endanger yourself there with a perfectly good road next to it. It seems like that would hold up well in court. In fact, it may be worth writing to your city. You'd be amazed at how often they listen; I know I have been.

Don't ever feel like you are chickening out. Even if you decide only to ride when it's above freezing, that way more than the rest of the country would ever even consider. You are a rockstar for riding and awesome for even attempting to ride in winter weather!