Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Snow Errands...

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Snow Errands...

Old 01-21-18, 06:49 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Snow Errands...

I commute to work most days, but due to my schedule and the mild winter this year, today was the first chance I had to ride in the snow. So I rode to a couple of stores. This is my 1997 Nishiki Blazer MTB-based commuter/utility bike which gets slicks in the warmer months, and Suomi Nokian 106's in the winter. It has Wald folding baskets.

This was an 11 mile outing at a constant 27F. Since it had snowed more than predicted I wore my wool socks over my cotton socks (I know that may seem backwards as the wool wicks moisture, but it seems to work better for me this way) and plastic grocery bags over those. I had water-resistant but breathable long jogging pants over long breathable jogging pants over bike shorts. Because of the layering on my legs, I went light with just my high vis windbreaker over a long sleeve synthetic t-shirt, over a synthetic wicking short sleeve t-shirt. I had my 2nd heaviest winter gloves and just covered my ears with my HAlo headband, no belaclava...and I was warm and comfortable after riding a few minutes.

As usual I brought an extra top layer, and my belaclava, just in case I miscalculated, or the weather turned colder.

Until I discovered bikeforums nine years ago I would overdress for winter riding and end up chilled due to excessive perspiration. And while I did use mountain bike tires in the snow with some success, bike forums introduced me to studded snow-tires and the importance of raising or lowering the tire pressure to make them work best in dry, ice and snow conditions.

I just turned 56, but I feel like a teenager when I ride...especially in the snow!

Old 01-22-18, 08:59 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Thanks for posting that, nice rig. What brand are those extra bars, do you have any forum posts with more pictures of the bars?

The only way I've found to make it through the winter is cycling lol. Unfortunately for me, we're getting rain instead!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
DMX_loop-01.jpeg (150.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-22-18, 09:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
first chance I had to ride in the snow
ah the perfect amount of fresh snow. just enough to make it interesting & fun! those are some awesome paved trails too, looks like you can rack up some miles
Old 01-22-18, 11:18 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
What brand are those extra bars, do you have any forum posts with more pictures of the bars?
I've got 3 things going on bar wise. This was my only bike when I bought it in 1997 and for the next 17 years. When I bought it I put wider "straight" bars canted forward. Then in my 40's as hand issues demanded more hand positions I added bar-ends. But since the bars were so wide I pushed them "in-board". As it turns out, they are almost like riding "on the hoods" Then one day an LBS had these unpackaged, pre-owned aero bars on sale for like $17. So I bought 'em. Now I have a couple of drop bar bikes which work better for my hands.

This gives me four main hand positions: 1) original, 2) inboard, 3) aero and 4) holding the for-arm rests, which allows me to sit upright.

It works well enough for me, but if I were to modify the bars today, I'd probably go with drop bars, which would necessitate brake and shifter changes as well, or go with trekking bars which would not.

While this is no longer my main commuter, I do like to ride it fairly often, and at 56, being able to stretch out on the aero bars does wonders for my back (and hands). Also I had fitted this bike with a large front gear and longer cranks for high-speed cruising. So despite its weight, in the aero position this thing can get fly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14923664335471.jpg (345.0 KB, 39 views)