Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Power Meters

Old 02-10-18, 07:12 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Power Meters

Any Clydes or Athenas using power meters?

If you are what you got and do you like it?
I am going to get one this year just because I really want one.
Old 02-10-18, 08:02 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I use a Stages power meter that replaced the left crank arm. I like it a lot.

Stages now had dual power meters (reads both sides of the crank).

By using this option I can change my rear wheel to the trainer wheel and still have a power meter; whereas with a rear hub based power meter like Power Tap you would have to have two wheels that have power meters.

Stages has sales throughout the year to liquidate prior year's models.
Old 02-10-18, 08:16 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by dagray
I use a Stages power meter that replaced the left crank arm. I like it a lot.

Stages now had dual power meters (reads both sides of the crank).

By using this option I can change my rear wheel to the trainer wheel and still have a power meter; whereas with a rear hub based power meter like Power Tap you would have to have two wheels that have power meters.

Stages has sales throughout the year to liquidate prior year's models.
Thanks!

I am down to a few power meters actually.

1. Stages crank arm version. very good reviews more than stages, but maybe better?
2. 4iii crank arm version. Also good and a bit cheaper than stages
3. Powertap pedals. I like because it can go on any bike and good reviews as well
4. Powertap chain ring version....limited to one bike is the downside, but good value

Its a big decision.
Old 02-11-18, 12:04 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Also check into power2max-- if you have a compatible crankset, you can get an NGeco meter (which does L/R) for about the same money as Stages, and the battery lasts 7-8x as long.
Old 02-11-18, 07:12 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Thanks!

I am down to a few power meters actually.

1. Stages crank arm version. very good reviews more than stages, but maybe better?
2. 4iii crank arm version. Also good and a bit cheaper than stages
3. Powertap pedals. I like because it can go on any bike and good reviews as well
4. Powertap chain ring version....limited to one bike is the downside, but good value

Its a big decision.
The pedals route sounds good, but if you don't already have them, you are going to need shoes that can take three-bolt cleats.
Old 02-11-18, 07:38 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Also check into power2max-- if you have a compatible crankset, you can get an NGeco meter (which does L/R) for about the same money as Stages, and the battery lasts 7-8x as long.

That is why it didn’t make the final list. I don’t have a comparable cranks. I would have to upgrade. Not out of the question but not something I want to do.

Originally Posted by ericy
The pedals route sounds good, but if you don't already have them, you are going to need shoes that can take three-bolt cleats.
I do already ride clipless so this is not an issue. They are my front runner right now actually because they are bike universal.
Old 02-12-18, 03:42 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Any Clydes or Athenas using power meters?

If you are what you got and do you like it?
I am going to get one this year just because I really want one.
I have given this out before but if you have some time, check out DC Rainmaker's website. He has product reviews of a lot of stuff including power meters. He is a cyclist and the reviews tend to get pretty technical, but it is a good place to go to get reviews on many different options of cycling electronics.

Some folks may have issues with him or his site, but I have found it very useful to at least read up on stuff from someone that is actually using the equipment. It is not the all to end all, but I've found his site very useful. After all the reviews there is a comment section and you can scroll thru the comments to see the latest comments on people using the devices and their issues since some of the reviews can lag behind by 6-12 months.

john
Old 02-12-18, 04:19 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by rutan74
I have given this out before but if you have some time, check out DC Rainmaker's website. He has product reviews of a lot of stuff including power meters. He is a cyclist and the reviews tend to get pretty technical, but it is a good place to go to get reviews on many different options of cycling electronics.

Some folks may have issues with him or his site, but I have found it very useful to at least read up on stuff from someone that is actually using the equipment. It is not the all to end all, but I've found his site very useful. After all the reviews there is a comment section and you can scroll thru the comments to see the latest comments on people using the devices and their issues since some of the reviews can lag behind by 6-12 months.

john

thanks John!
Old 02-13-18, 12:08 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have a powertap wheel and a quarq crank... can use the wheel on any of my bikes, whereas I can use any wheels on the bike with the quarq. Crank (double sided at least) and pedal power meters can give you left/right balance measurements and also do some fancy analysis on your pedal stroke if you're into that sort of thing. Also, you can get cadence from the crank/pedals, so you don't need an extra sensor.

If I were buying a new power meter today, I'd probably get powertap pedals. 1 meter for all your bike/wheel combos is handy sounding. You have to like Look cleats though (I do)

Oh, in the interest of budget, I really wouldn't obsess about double sided measurement either. It really isn't critical for anything.
Old 02-13-18, 09:05 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I have a powertap wheel and a quarq crank... can use the wheel on any of my bikes, whereas I can use any wheels on the bike with the quarq. Crank (double sided at least) and pedal power meters can give you left/right balance measurements and also do some fancy analysis on your pedal stroke if you're into that sort of thing. Also, you can get cadence from the crank/pedals, so you don't need an extra sensor.

If I were buying a new power meter today, I'd probably get powertap pedals. 1 meter for all your bike/wheel combos is handy sounding. You have to like Look cleats though (I do)

Oh, in the interest of budget, I really wouldn't obsess about double sided measurement either. It really isn't critical for anything.

Thanks!!!

I am actually down to 2:

1. Powertap pedals the one sided version. I like this because they can go from any bike to bike.

2. Powertap C1 chain rings are the second option. They will fit my bike and they are on sale cheap right now. $350 for a ring set up.....great deal actually. Makes me want to get this just because of the price. Seems crazy cheap. 1/2 the price of normal and 1/2 the price of pedals.
Old 02-13-18, 11:50 AM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Have you considered the Pioneer? I am a dyed-in-the-wool Campy Look Delta pattern pedal guy and all of the pedal based systems seem to have weight limits. The Pioneer can be fitted to the Campy Potenza crankset....
Old 02-13-18, 12:32 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by brandon98
Have you considered the Pioneer? I am a dyed-in-the-wool Campy Look Delta pattern pedal guy and all of the pedal based systems seem to have weight limits. The Pioneer can be fitted to the Campy Potenza crankset....

I looked at Pioneer but I think I ruled them out because of price.

the P1 pedals from PowerTap have no weight limit. I called them and asked and they said no issues with weight.
Old 02-13-18, 06:37 PM
DWhitworth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Stages here. I had an early model I got on eBay that failed eventually. They were helpful even though I wasn't the original purchaser, but it ended up cheaper to get a new closeout one instead of their refurb or swap out.

A friend had all kinds of issues with his early models and they kept sending crappy refurbs. It didn't get fixed until he got a new one.

Anyway, watch the weight rating on the power pedals. Pedals seem sensitive to weight, at least for me as I seem to kill them off pretty regularly.

DaveW
Old 02-14-18, 11:57 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Well I pulled the trigger today. Got the Powertap C1 chain ring power meter. I hope it all is as great as I think its going to be!