Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Accelerations via cadence or shifting

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 03:28 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts

When training to focus on accelerations (i.e. not sprinting), do you just work on intervals for speed and watts or is there benefit on high cadence and watts as well?

I ask because my most competitive was when was able to spin up to a very high cadence (120+) in lieu of shifting to handle accelerations. I don't know if that was because I was strong, but it felt like spinning faster to catch up was a faster action than shifting which saved milliseconds and inches which translated to an easier effort to close the gap. Amazingly, I haven't found much on this and if its out there its lost in the 'spinning' vs 'mashing' debate (which this is not).

Fast forward to present and after just focusing on raw power my 'snap cadence' has suffered along with my ability to close fast. All my accelerations have been done via shifting. I do not think I can break 110 rpm unless its a really low wattage (which doesn't count). To alleviate that, my plan is to do this twice a week:

3 Sets of
20 Seconds @110-150 rpm over 250 watts (this will change as I get faster)
40 Seconds Rest

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to spin at 150 rpm for 20 seconds. There isn't really a reason I'd need to, but that means 120 rpm should be 'comfortable'.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-18, 03:32 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
spinning up is more efficient, so yeah it makes sense to train this.

ideally though I think the answer is “both” - be able to spin when needed, mash when needed.
Old 04-25-18, 03:38 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
train for both, though due to the track stuff and years of fixed gears I tend to spin up in races. Rarely get out of the saddle.

I can get over 200 rpms, which has no pratcical application on the road.
Old 04-25-18, 03:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
Same as Gary here, not sure if I could hit 200 tho
Old 04-25-18, 04:09 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Spinning up was a lot more important when drivetrains sucked (imagine friction downtube shifters compared to modern Di2). Shifting up is much more of a reasonable option now.

Originally Posted by mattm
spinning up is more efficient, so yeah it makes sense to train this.

ideally though I think the answer is “both” - be able to spin when needed, mash when needed.
Spinning up is more responsive but I would bet money it is technically less efficient.
Old 04-25-18, 04:24 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
If you have wko (or maybe some other programs, too), you can do the quadrant analysis stuff which can be insightful.

For me, becoming more efficient at spinning big watts has made a massive difference in my racing.

Some big races I'd get halfway through the race and could barely stand up because I was so exhausted from standing and sprinting out of the turns. In the last two years I've spent a lot of time over the winter (and some in the summers, too), working on seated accelerations with higher cadence. It's been such a boon. My legs are so much better at the end of races (crits, especially).

It's been the difference between getting dropped halfway in a PRT crit to finishing in the top 20. There are times when it's necessary to just get out of the saddle and close a gap as quickly as possible, but overall I've found being able to lay down some power with less torque has really helped. To the point where I now do FRC workouts completely seated and focused on spinning more.

I will, say, however, that I personally think "spinning" drills and the like are a waste of time and I'd never just go out and spin high rpms for the sake of high rpms. All of my higher cadence work is done with higher watts (vo2/FRC/etc); extremely specific to race situations.
Old 04-25-18, 04:27 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
^good post^
Old 04-25-18, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What rubiksoval said.
Old 04-25-18, 06:09 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
If you invoke seated versus standing everything changes.

Ideally I would like to know more about how the best handle seated only situations.
Old 04-25-18, 06:58 PM
furiousferret

Thanks for the info guys, you're helping put me on the right track!

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
If you have wko (or maybe some other programs, too), you can do the quadrant analysis stuff which can be insightful.

For me, becoming more efficient at spinning big watts has made a massive difference in my racing.

Some big races I'd get halfway through the race and could barely stand up because I was so exhausted from standing and sprinting out of the turns. In the last two years I've spent a lot of time over the winter (and some in the summers, too), working on seated accelerations with higher cadence. It's been such a boon. My legs are so much better at the end of races (crits, especially).

It's been the difference between getting dropped halfway in a PRT crit to finishing in the top 20. There are times when it's necessary to just get out of the saddle and close a gap as quickly as possible, but overall I've found being able to lay down some power with less torque has really helped. To the point where I now do FRC workouts completely seated and focused on spinning more.

I will, say, however, that I personally think "spinning" drills and the like are a waste of time and I'd never just go out and spin high rpms for the sake of high rpms. All of my higher cadence work is done with higher watts (vo2/FRC/etc); extremely specific to race situations.
Thanks, this really helps out a lot. I actually got WKO based off this (was planning but was hoping for another discount code in my email).
Old 04-26-18, 12:48 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Oh man, if left to my own tooling around I'd tool around under 90. If left to my own to get best threshold power id be around 105. Cuz my legs get tired at less. In races when I gotta accelerate I have no clue what I do really I just go. My gut tells me I don't shift till **** settles. My guess is ill go up to 130 or so in a random acceleration. Its just easier to spin super fast for a bit.

I agree its more responsive to spin more. Easier to suddenly spin faster than to suddenly apply monster force.

I disagree that spinning drills are useless. I think they help me get used to spinning. Not like actual training, more like priming my automatic response. I don't do it much anymore cuz it seems like racing kinda forces it. But you don't race much or aren't racing into shape I think it could help to get the legs used to that stuff.
Old 04-26-18, 06:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I tend to be a seated guy, so I spend a lot of time working on being able to spin up, and lately, I've been working on spinning up big gears while seated - I've been concentrating on track racing the past year and a half. And like Gary, I can spin over 200 rpms.
Old 04-26-18, 08:28 AM
furiousferret

Yesterday I did my first drills, working from home I was able to do each set on an individual ride (brunch, lunch, post lunch rides). While I didn't get my cadence near where I wanted (probably topping out around 125) I was hitting some good wattage for my perceived effort. My legs were tired though so I should be able to hit 135 this weekend. It felt like my efforts were 200 watts average but it was double that.
Old 04-26-18, 07:28 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Yesterday I did my first drills, working from home I was able to do each set on an individual ride (brunch, lunch, post lunch rides). While I didn't get my cadence near where I wanted (probably topping out around 125) I was hitting some good wattage for my perceived effort. My legs were tired though so I should be able to hit 135 this weekend. It felt like my efforts were 200 watts average but it was double that.
Get some rollers. It'll really show where your weakness in spinning lies. I know I top out* around 140RPM, but I rarely go that high in races because I'm a bad sprinter who has overgeared every sprint I've ever been in.

*top out as in I start bouncing too much to be comfortable on the rollers. I'm sure I can go higher than that, and pretty sure I have when I used to race track.
Old 04-27-18, 10:04 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
For me I prefer the muscle method, so a sharp downstroke in a larger gear.

If I spin up it loads my typically stressed aerobic system and blows me up. Spinning correlates at some level to heart rate; spinning really fast takes energy. As an extreme example, doing 200+ rpm is extremely taxing, even with virtually zero resistance on the pedals. I think it was Carmichael that found that aerobic efficiency drops once you go above 120 rpm, meaning the expense of spinning starts to weigh in pretty heavily compared to power output.

When I'm fit I can spin more, but still do sharp downstrokes to close gaps.

I try to take it easy at the beginning of races. My ideal race, if I'm fit, is to spin 100-110 rpm for the first 30 min of the race, virtually no hard efforts, then start getting used to pushing a bit, then in the last lap or two alternately coast/soft-pedal or do 70-90 rpm in bigger gears. Just before the sprint I'll be shifting into slightly lower gears, knowing that I want to jump at 100-110 rpm. I want to have my muscles sort of rested so I try to spin and transfer load to my aerobic system. Sprinting is anaerobic for me anyway so as long as my muscles are okay (not cramping, not extremely fatigued) I'll be able to go for a bit even if I hold my breath.

I got to the last lap of one somewhat important race and just then discovered that I'd been in my small ring the entire race. It was a 45T to be fair, but still, small ring. I put it in the big ring but

I've had a bar mounted rear shifter on my bike since... 1985? Maybe 1984. I've always used it to adjust rpm at a given speed, shifting up and down just to check rpm/legs. It was one of my advantages in the old days, shifting during the sprint. Another was that I started using aero wheels in the the late 80s and regularly used a rear disk, Zipp 440s (pre-404 58mm rims), and my favorites, the ultralight 340s (pre-303?). Finally I tried to use low inertia stuff, including the aforementioned disk wheel (270g rim, no metal in the "disk" part), the 340s, the 38g (for the pair!) titanium Aerolite pedals (or about 70g for the steel ones), and some very lightweight wood sole shoes (nylon strap attached when I went to clipless/Aerolite). Made for good sharp accelerations.

Hm. Makes me want to try and make the Aerolites work again. I have one new pair of pedals (a pro friend won them in a crit and gave them to me) plus about 6 sets of my own pedals, and maybe 3 years worth of cleats. And some ultra light carbon/kevlar Aerolite shoes.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson