Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

$20 Custom frame pouch for brevets - DIY filling the triangle

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 05:12 PM
bluestacks867

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought I would share a DIY project I have been working on.

I have always used a triangle frame pouch for my rides that are over 200 miles, but the pouch I used always bulky and not very aero.

Below is my my $20 custom frame pouch

Supplies:

$1 - Poster board (Walmart)
Hold the poster board behind your frame, then draw a triangle template using your frame as a guide.

$8 - Fabric (Walmart)
Thick with a somewhat plastic backing is best. It will not fray when you cut it and it will be strong when the sides are pulled tight around your frame tubes.

$13 - Bulk velcro w/ glue backs (Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AI28QFU
This stuff is amazing. I used about 1/4th of what I purhased. The rest can be used for other DYI projects around the house.

$0 - 2 x zippers (Aunt)
Amazon sells these but my aunt had a lot laying around.

$0 - Thread (Momma)
My mom already had thread and a sewing machine. The triangle seams and zippers were pretty easy for her to sew even though she only gets the sewing machine out once a decade.

Tools:

Pencil
Chalk (great for putting marks on the black fabric)
Scissors
Sewing machine
Ruler

I designed this pouch a couple months ago but finally got around to making it. My mom helped me with the sewing. It took us about 2-3 hours total to make the pouch. I spent the evening at my parents house and helped my dad build a pergola. During down time, my mom and I would work on the pouch on and off.

The pouch velcros around the top tube, bottom tube, and upper portion of the seat tube. I also velcroed the bottom of a xlab stealth pouch to the top of the custom pouch. Both pouches can be removed and put back on in under 2 minutes. Additional tape can be added to secure small pieces to the frame.

In the below pictures, I was able to fit the following items in my pouches:
  • lock
  • patch kit
  • tire boot
  • extra contacts
  • cash
  • 7 x gels (flask)
  • 6 x energy bars
  • sunscreen
  • coconut oil
  • chamois cream
  • multi-tool
  • tire levers
  • tire jack
  • pump
  • tape
  • 2 x spare tubes
  • toe covers
  • arm coolers
  • charging bank
  • 7 x lights
This frees up my jersey pockets for other needs (example: phone, more food, directions, kitchen sink etc).