Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Dairy fat is safe, and may help guard against strokes.

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Dairy fat is safe, and may help guard against strokes.

Old 07-17-18, 02:33 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This thread is about milk and cheese. Whole vs skim. Were you high when you wrote that?
You were given notice that the thread was being hijacked, Please be civil and use the report button.
Old 07-17-18, 04:55 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
That wasn't a hijack it was an example. Albeit a lengthy one. In any event few threads can exist totally on their own. You can't talk about studies without first knowing who supported the study. After all, you would you believe a report that stated tobacco is safe that was funded by the tobacco industry would you? Another example, I'm not changing the topic to tobacco.

Lets suppose you read an article in Car and Driver about how magnificent the BMW 3 series is then discover that BMW is one of the magazine's major advertisers. How much credit do you now give to the review?
Now if its in Consumer Reports (no advertisers), or it says an independent study, then it will get my attention.

Now 'm not saying that the study is wrong (I love milk/dairy and will drink it regardless), only that its important to investigate and be an educated consumer.
Old 07-17-18, 08:51 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
This isn't about cars, either.

We're talking about the nutritional benefit and risk of dairy fat here. Not marijuana. Not BMWs.

@KraneXL, do you have a problem with the funding for this research, or are you just letting us know the shocking truth that research costs money? Because everybody already knows that.
Old 07-17-18, 08:57 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
That wasn't a hijack it was an example. Albeit a lengthy one. In any event few threads can exist totally on their own. You can't talk about studies without first knowing who supported the study. After all, you would you believe a report that stated tobacco is safe that was funded by the tobacco industry would you? Another example, I'm not changing the topic to tobacco.

Lets suppose you read an article in Car and Driver about how magnificent the BMW 3 series is then discover that BMW is one of the magazine's major advertisers. How much credit do you now give to the review?
Now if its in Consumer Reports (no advertisers), or it says an independent study, then it will get my attention.

Now 'm not saying that the study is wrong (I love milk/dairy and will drink it regardless), only that its important to investigate and be an educated consumer.
so what's your problem with the national institute of health funding the study, or did you actually not read the study yourself?
Old 07-18-18, 12:07 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The study, published today in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found no significant link between dairy fats and cause of death or, more specifically, heart disease and stroke – two of the country’s biggest killers often associated with a diet high in saturated fat. In fact, certain types of dairy fat may help guard against having a severe stroke, the researchers reported.

“Our findings not only support, but also significantly strengthen, the growing body of evidence which suggests that dairy fat, contrary to popular belief, does not increase risk of heart disease or overall mortality in older adults. In addition to not contributing to death, the results suggest that one fatty acid present in dairy may lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease, particularly from stroke,” said Marcia Otto, Ph.D., the study’s first and corresponding author and assistant professor in the Department of Epidemiology, Human Genetics and Environmental Sciences at UTHealth School of Public Health.

The study evaluated how multiple biomarkers of fatty acid present in dairy fat related to heart disease and all-cause mortality over a 22-year period. This measurement methodology, as opposed to the more commonly used self-reported consumption, gave greater and more objective insight into the impact of long-term exposure to these fatty acids, according to the report.

Nearly 3,000 adults age 65 years and older were included in the study, which measured plasma levels of three different fatty acids found in dairy products at the beginning in 1992 and again at six and 13 years later.

None of the fatty acid types were significantly associated with total mortality. In fact one type was linked to lower cardiovascular disease deaths. People with higher fatty acid levels, suggesting higher consumption of whole-fat dairy products, had a 42 percent lower risk of dying from stroke.

https://www.uth.edu/media/story.htm?...6-230d71b834ac
It's amazing how proficient lobbyists have become.
Old 07-18-18, 01:21 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
so what's your problem with the national institute of health funding the study, or did you actually not read the study yourself?
I believe in science, I believe in the scientific method. Unfortunately, it appears that the scientific method demonstrates that most scientific conlusions are wrong. See, among many, this.

I don't know what to make of this other than what often is purported to be science is, in fact, what Feynman called "Cargo Cult Science." And, it seems, the further you get away from the science of physics, the worse it gets. I think the best you can do is consider a study like this to be an interesting observation until the conclusions are reproduced by independant evaluation.
Old 07-18-18, 02:02 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
I believe in science, I believe in the scientific method. Unfortunately, it appears that the scientific method demonstrates that most scientific conlusions are wrong. See, among many, this.

I don't know what to make of this other than what often is purported to be science is, in fact, what Feynman called "Cargo Cult Science." And, it seems, the further you get away from the science of physics, the worse it gets. I think the best you can do is consider a study like this to be an interesting observation until the conclusions are reproduced by independant evaluation.
All that editorial article says is that not all science is the same, which we already knew. The correct conclusion to draw, which any good scientist already knows is that you never take a single paper at face value, and that good or bad science is easy enough to determine. We should also be sure to differentiate between experimental studies which the article is mostly referencing and observational studies. Of course this is a seperate issue than the attempted implication that this "bad science" is due to bias from agenda driven funding which simply isn't the case here.
Old 07-18-18, 02:16 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Umm...not really.

Science attempts to explain theories, not create unbreakable laws. This is why people get confused because they want order when what science seeks is a better answer.

So now you ask, what's the point?

Now YOU are a scientist.