Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Lactate threshold (running)

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Lactate threshold (running)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 12:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It's not your ability to absorb oxygen. Might be your ability to deliver it from the air to your working muscles, but the limit is never extracting oxygen from the bloodstream, except in completely untrained people.
Old 07-31-18, 12:58 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Running into the same thing I'm asking. Anaerobic threshold deals with oxygen/co2 balance. Lactic threshold deals with change in blood lactate concentration. Two different things, although "threshold" is where some condition applies to both of them, generally at the same heart rate.

Maybe some control mechanism regulates both of them directly, all neat and tidy. Maybe it's a locally stable state from a whole slew of feedback control mechanisms. I don't know, but the answer to his question would depend on how that "lactic threshold" actually works.
The reason you can use them essentially interchangeably is that one is the "input" and one is the "output".
Its actually pretty simple biochemically lactate is an intermediate byproduct of anaerobic metabolism

The excess lactate is then shuttled back to the liver to be converted back to glucose in the Cori cycle. You reach a semi-steady state point at your MLSS of ~4mMol.
You can train to be faster before you hit the anaerobic threshold, and you can train lactate clearance and processing at the anearobic threshold, but they are kind of achieved simultaneously
Old 07-31-18, 01:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
The reason you can use them essentially interchangeably is that one is the "input" and one is the "output".
That was my first guess, since it's the simplest, but where does that come from? Or even simpler, you could assume that the control mechanism is a simple function of energy demand.

But, I don't think it is accurate, even approximately, because a) lactate production is not triggered (much) until after the aerobic threshold and b) controls for both of them also involve feedback mechanisms.
Old 07-31-18, 01:07 PM
redlude97

That was my first guess, since it's the simplest, but where does that come from? Or even simpler, you could assume that the control mechanism is a simple function of energy demand.

But, I don't think it is accurate, even approximately, because a) lactate production is not triggered (much) until after the aerobic threshold and b) controls for both of them also involve feedback mechanisms.
lactate production is high after the anaerobic threshold because lactate production is the product of anaerobic metabolism, that is why they can essentially be used interchangeably
Old 07-31-18, 01:11 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It's not your ability to absorb oxygen. Might be your ability to deliver it from the air to your working muscles, but the limit is never extracting oxygen from the bloodstream, except in completely untrained people.
I was thinking more about extracting oxygen from the air into the blood stream, as much as extracting it out of the blood. I realize that people also say that we have plenty excess capacity in our lungs, but that doesn't make it necessarily true either. Considering how often big lung capacity is a feature of top endurance athletes. Even more likely a limiting factor is getting rid of the CO2 (which impacts the ability to absorb O2)
Old 07-31-18, 01:17 PM
wphamilton

lactate production is high after the anaerobic threshold because lactate production is the product of anaerobic metabolism, that is why they can essentially be used interchangeably
That's kind of circular reasoning. While I will acknowledge that the first 10 or 20 Google results will define anaerobic/lactate threshold in a way as to imply that, I don't believe that is is very correct. They are used interchangeably only because the interest is setting a threshold number for pace or hr training.

Lactate production rises after the LT by definition, and after the AT because energy demand exceeds the aerobic supply. Two very different things, and very possibly two different numbers under some circumstances.
Old 07-31-18, 02:28 PM
redlude97

That's kind of circular reasoning. While I will acknowledge that the first 10 or 20 Google results will define anaerobic/lactate threshold in a way as to imply that, I don't believe that is is very correct. They are used interchangeably only because the interest is setting a threshold number for pace or hr training.

Lactate production rises after the LT by definition, and after the AT because energy demand exceeds the aerobic supply. Two very different things, and very possibly two different numbers under some circumstances.
Under what circumstances?The definition of anaerobic threshold that has been widely accepted for over 2 decades is:
During exercise, the oxygen consumption above which aerobic energy production is supplemented by anaerobic mechanisms, causing a sustained increase in lactate and metabolic acidosis, is termed the anaerobic threshold (AT).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3551513
"Lactate threshold" on the other hand doesn't have an accepted definition since its not a clear physiological representation. Your definition above of
Lactate production rises after the LT by definition,
is certainly wrong in the context because lactate production rises beginning at aerobic threshold, reaches a quasi-steady at anaerobic threshold/MLSS but continues to accumulate. Now if you want to define "lactate threshold" as the point where the accumulation is no longer linear with exercise intensity which is more accepted then maybe we can have a discussion about the nuanced differences, but the range between the two is barely quantifiable if at all. Once the lactate begins to outpace the clearance then accumulation begins to occur. One causes the other. If you haven't read this article by Dr. Millan, or disagree with his POV as one of the leading researchers in the field, then I don't know what else to tell you
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/w...ate-threshold/
Old 07-31-18, 02:31 PM
redlude97

I was thinking more about extracting oxygen from the air into the blood stream, as much as extracting it out of the blood. I realize that people also say that we have plenty excess capacity in our lungs, but that doesn't make it necessarily true either. Considering how often big lung capacity is a feature of top endurance athletes. Even more likely a limiting factor is getting rid of the CO2 (which impacts the ability to absorb O2)
No, it is because aerobic/anaerobic metabolism is not rate limited by oxygen consumption, it is rate limited by the speed of the reactions. Aerobic metabolism cannot supply ATP at a fast enough rate at higher power outputs. Aerobic and anaerobic is a bit of a misnomer in this context because its not the driving force.
Old 07-31-18, 03:08 PM
wphamilton

Under what circumstances?The definition of anaerobic threshold that has been widely accepted for over 2 decades is:
Quote:

During exercise, the oxygen consumption above which aerobic energy production is supplemented by anaerobic mechanisms, causing a sustained increase in lactate and metabolic acidosis, is termed the anaerobic threshold (AT).

That's not actually a definition. It's a statement about a quality anaerobic energy, and even for that purpose it is particularly garbled. Literally, it says that oxygen consumption is the threshold, which is nonsensical for a couple of reasons ... I think that you're just trying to argue and found a quote that seemed to help, and I'm not really interested in getting into that.

I'll be blunt here. I didn't ask how to set levels for threshold training - I already knew that, and have already done it. I didn't ask for anyone to explain what AeT is - I already know that as well. I asked if anyone knew how to measure lactate levels in an activity where there is no sensation of it, even indirectly to a single data point such as lactate threshold, distinct from the anaerobic threshold. Rubiksoval thinks they're the same thing. That's fine, and you'll notice that we aren't arguing about it.
Old 07-31-18, 03:20 PM
redlude97

That's not actually a definition. It's a statement about a quality anaerobic energy, and even for that purpose it is particularly garbled. Literally, it says that oxygen consumption is the threshold, which is nonsensical for a couple of reasons ... I think that you're just trying to argue and found a quote that seemed to help, and I'm not really interested in getting into that.

I'll be blunt here. I didn't ask how to set levels for threshold training - I already knew that, and have already done it. I didn't ask for anyone to explain what AeT is - I already know that as well. I asked if anyone knew how to measure lactate levels in an activity where there is no sensation of it, even indirectly to a single data point such as lactate threshold, distinct from the anaerobic threshold. Rubiksoval thinks they're the same thing. That's fine, and you'll notice that we aren't arguing about it.
It is not garbled, because it is defined at a % of V02max, hence the oxygen consumption component.
Even if you could measure lactate levels, you would see that value continue to rise after aerobic threshold, that is the point, and why there isn't a distinction, above anaerobic threshold lactate will continue to rise with time at a given intensity because we have a limited ability to process the lactate byproduct. "Lactate threshold" is a quasisteady state where the amount of lactate accumulation is small because the amount of lactate production is almost balanced a short (<1 hour) timeframe. Furthermore, as explained above, lactate levels do not produce any sensation themselves. You keep trying to find or define these two distinct things when the consensus is that they are close enough to the same thing because one leads to the other. You still haven't provided a situation where you would be able to sustainably operate above your anaerobic threshold without lactate accumulation above baseline.