Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New saddle recommendations??

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-09-18, 01:49 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking at getting a new saddle. 142mm, anyone have any luck with anything?
Old 08-09-18, 02:40 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
Looking at getting a new saddle. 142mm, anyone have any luck with anything?
Could you maybe tell us about yourself? What kind of riding do you favor? What is your current saddle? What issues are you having with it that you are hoping to remedy by trying a new saddle?

I’m not a Brooks user even though the old school leather cover and those big hand worked copper rivets are cool. Many people who have serious saddle issues swear by them. They weigh a ton, not that this really matters in the big picture.
One guy in our club has one of those Selle Anatomicas. He is a lightweight guy - Looks like he only weighs ~140#. He says he loves that saddle. It looks similar to a Brooks with a cut out. A bit of a conversation piece.

I have a Selle Italia Turbomatic Team with carbon rails, mounted to a zero setback Thomson seatpost with the optional 7x9mm saddle clamp to handle the carbon rails. This saddle has elastomers under the rails to soften road bumps ever so slightly. It has a smooth synthetic leather top with no cutouts - I like this since I can shift front to back with no snags. The earlier versions of the Turbomatic saddle were covered in buffalo hide. The natural striations in the buffalo hide cover were the stuff for me - slick but grippy at the same time if that is possible. Plus the striations actually permitted ventilation of your butt. I kid you not.

Any butt comfort issues should be re-evaluated at certain milestones such as your first thousand miles of the season. Often it takes that long just to sort the optimal tilt, height and setback. These variables are not static, as your fitness and flexibility change (hopefully for the better) so do some of these settings. Thus the need for a high quality microajusting (2-bolt for Clyde’s) seatpost.

Good shorts are a must as well, I prefer bibs since they can’t droop. Butt paste of some sort is also best if we must tell all. I use Queen Helene Shea body butter from Sally Beauty Supply. A 1 pound tub is like $7, last a long time and (for me at least) makes a huge comfort improvement. It also washes out easily and does not leave stains. Normal hygienic practices to prevent saddle sores are another obvious comfort must.

BTW - The Team Turbomatic, even with the elastomers is a firm saddle. Not much give to it at all. It is fairly generously wide at the rear as per your stated 143 mm width so depending on how you ride might be worth a look.

Old 08-09-18, 04:02 PM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Get a Brooks. It will become comfortable in 25 years or the day a pink unicorn flies out of your ass -- whichever occurs first.
LMFAO! I needed a good laugh.
Old 08-09-18, 04:38 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
@Rock71, Saddle recommendations are just about useless because what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Finding a saddle that works involves a lot of trial and error.

Last edited by tunavic; 08-09-18 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling error
Old 08-09-18, 08:23 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
@Rock71, Saddle recommendations are just about useless because what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Finding a saddle that works involves a lot of trial and error.
I got that "error" stuff down... I think I've got about $500 worth of saddles on the shelf.. and hate every one of them
Old 08-10-18, 05:35 AM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ive been doing some research, and from reviews it looks like the specialized power expert is a number one pick for people who spend most of their time in the drops, for all intents and purposes the Fabric shallow pro looks like it could be a contender.
Old 08-10-18, 01:54 PM
knitguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
Ive been doing some research, and from reviews it looks like the specialized power expert is a number one pick for people who spend most of their time in the drops, for all intents and purposes the Fabric shallow pro looks like it could be a contender.
If you live in a location that has a bike shop that will allow you to try saddles before you buy, save yourself the money and just do that. It's just too individual to easily rely on anyone's recommendation in terms of which saddle works for them.
Old 08-11-18, 07:12 AM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by knitguy
If you live in a location that has a bike shop that will allow you to try saddles before you buy, save yourself the money and just do that. It's just too individual to easily rely on anyone's recommendation in terms of which saddle works for them.
That is my biggest issue, none of the LBS carry much of a selection. They mostly carry the cheaper seats for hybrid and comfort bikes because like many have mentioned, what works for one wont for the next. I have my selection narrowed down to a selle italia and a Fabric.
Old 08-11-18, 09:09 AM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Get a Brooks. It will become comfortable in 25 years or the day a pink unicorn flies out of your ass -- whichever occurs first.
Ain't that the truth. I put 2k miles into a Brooks Flyer. It hurt every time. No payoff for me.
Old 08-12-18, 05:13 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
For me, I started using a Brooks C-17 AWS, and it works well for me, but you aren't me, so it may not work for you. The right saddle may take some time and lots of miles to find.
Old 08-13-18, 06:01 AM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered a Selle Italia SLR Superflow over the weekend. It had about 300 reviews and only about 3 or 4 of those were bad, so i figured it is a decent place to start.