Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 04:40 PM
factotum

Bikes: Rodriguez Phinney Ridge, Rodriguez fillet brazed tandem, rotating cast of projects

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Nice bike!
Thanks! I think the drop bars suit the look of the swift, better than I expected they would.
Old 04-22-18, 08:25 PM
fatsomatso

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broken Rear Derailleur Hanger

So my beloved Xootr Swift has suffered a broken rear derailleur hanger. Tried to fix it but I'm out of luck- its not repairable.

Unfortunately, it looks like this is one of the few customized parts and Xootr dont seem to list them anymore (I wrote to them so hoping they have a few left over).

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives- I am hoping that there is a similar design somewhere out there I can use?

If I cant get a replacement hanger then I think my only alternatives are to switch to a single speed, go for an IGH or retire the bike- and I am really hoping that is not the case!
Old 04-23-18, 07:11 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fatsomatso

So my beloved Xootr Swift has suffered a broken rear derailleur hanger. Tried to fix it but I'm out of luck- its not repairable.

Unfortunately, it looks like this is one of the few customized parts and Xootr dont seem to list them anymore (I wrote to them so hoping they have a few left over).

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives- I am hoping that there is a similar design somewhere out there I can use?

If I cant get a replacement hanger then I think my only alternatives are to switch to a single speed, go for an IGH or retire the bike- and I am really hoping that is not the case!
I'd be looking at single speed hangers .. something like This One ..
Old 04-23-18, 07:30 AM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fatsomatso

Please let us know what you find out. I was just thinking I should order a backup when I noticed Xootr no longer had them in the spare parts section.
Old 04-23-18, 04:35 PM
Tall_Xootr

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If by some chance Xootr doesn't have one you can also contact Swift Folders and see if they have something for you.

swiftfolders@gmail.com

I have emailed Peter Reich about another matter and he responded quickly and was helpful.
Also if that doesn't work, check out this website and look for a match. It may take awhile.

https://derailleurhanger.com/shop/?pageloop=5000

Also possibly Xootr could recommend a match from that website.

Joseph

Last edited by Tall_Xootr; 04-24-18 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-25-18, 03:41 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Old 05-07-18, 08:05 AM
Trocadile

To follow up on the derailleur hanger question - Xootr confirmed that they no longer have them and Peter Reich wrote to say he had a few spares which can be had for $9.50 (Design Mobility, Inc., 280 Nevins St., Brooklyn, NY 11217).
Old 05-20-18, 07:44 AM
Kmcd

Bikes: 84 Trek 720, 86 Univega Gran Sprint, 65 Rudge De-luxe, 90s Schwinn Le Tour

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New build for black aluminum frame

Here is the build I’m considering. I like James Black’s bikes and want a similar take but with the addition of three speeds.
I’ll be riding it around town and for light weekend trips.
Please weigh in if anything jumps out as problematic, or a missed opportunity.

Comes with frame:
Shimano cartridge BB
Aluminum seatpost
Aluminum steerer tube

To buy (through Peter if he can source it):
Sugino single crankset 170 mm
Sugino chain ring 42t
Shimano Nexus 3-speed hub
Sturmey Archer SLS30 index thumb shifter
Sun CR-18 36 hole rims, satin
DT stainless spokes
Deore front hub, silver
Sugino cantilever brakes, silver
Sugino mountain brake levers, black/silver
Aheadset, silver
Black cable housing
Panaracer HP406 20 x1.75 black/gum tires
MKS AR2 quick release pedals, black

Parts I have and might recycle:
Raleigh "North Road" or GB Maes bars both 25.4
(drops would require road levers)
GB 110mm or Nitto Technomic 130mm stem
Avocet touring saddle

Old 05-20-18, 07:57 AM
Kmcd

Bikes: 84 Trek 720, 86 Univega Gran Sprint, 65 Rudge De-luxe, 90s Schwinn Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions for my new build

1. What do you do for a lighting generator?
Peter cautioned against a dynohub to maintain easy front wheel removal for packing.

2. How do I choose gearing for a new internal 3-speed hub and cog combinations on a bike I’ve never ridden? I have a Rudge w Sturmey Archer 3-speed and love the spread.
Old 05-21-18, 07:57 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I would use Sheldon Browns gear inch calculator. For example with a 52 tooth chainring, and a 13 tooth sprocket you get 56, 74.7 and 99.6 gear inches.plug in what you like and adjust the ride for your locale, i.e. hills, your strength, distance ridden and headwinds for example. I would stick with v-brakes because they are light and work very well. I like bullhorns because they are light and give me the the handshake position I find most confortable. I like to be able to rotate the bars, or bullhorns with the bar ends up so the bike rests on the saddle and bar tips when upside down because I have found it m!uch easier to remove and install the rear wheel when the bike is upside down. Drop bars are good too if that is your preference. Stturmey Archer makes a very nice bar end shifter, BTW. I replaced my QRs on seatpost and stem with bolts because I don't fold the bike very often. If you read the this thread you will find that with aluminum Swifts the chainstays and seatpost arrangement is where they can fail.
Old 05-22-18, 07:30 PM
Kmcd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
I would use Sheldon Browns gear inch calculator... v brakes... drop bars... replace quick release with bolts...
^ helpful – TY

So V brakes are really that great? I’ve never used them. All my bikes are CV and they stop okay. But I believe you!

Anyone have a strong opinion about diacompe / tektro / cane creek drop bar levers for V brakes? I’ve read mediocre reviews.

Unfortunate, about the frame failure related to QR for folding.

Last edited by Kmcd; 05-22-18 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 10:54 PM
Vanrex

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
V brakes work well for me, and they're easy to set up and adjust. The nice thing about them is that they don't stick out far past the frame. If you're talking to Peter, I'd be curious to know what his experience with cantilevers has been.

I've had a set of the Tektro long pull road levers on a Xootr Swift I ride through the winter; I haven't had any problems, and they've held up well. I like the comfort of the SRAM levers on my other bike better, but the Tektro's aren't bad.
Old 05-26-18, 02:47 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I don't see how Trocadile got that much of an ergon grip on the right handlebar with the grip shift and brake. Are those cut down or are they the grip shift model?
Old 05-26-18, 05:30 PM
Trocadile

Originally Posted by BikeLite
I don't see how Trocadile got that much of an ergon grip on the right handlebar with the grip shift and brake. Are those cut down or are they the grip shift model?
yes, a saw was involved (so it really doesn't matter if you use the grip shift model since either version would need to be cut with the stock shifter and handlebars)
Old 06-01-18, 02:47 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Love, love, love this bike. The stiff aluminum frame is a huge plus when towing a trailer... especially when that trailer is loaded up with a heavy load of freshly brewed beer, straight from the brewery!

Last edited by CriticalThought; 10-19-18 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 12:14 AM
CAX

Bikes: Brompton & Thorn Sherpa Mk3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have a front derailleur adapter that you woudl be willing to part from? Or willing to trace it on a piece of paper and send me a picture and I'll make my own.

And picture on how my Xootr looked for many years.
https://imgur.com/a/KaUpv0o

Fixed gear when I was younger. Now it has drop bars and gears. Getting older I think I could use a front derailleur as well.

Last edited by CAX; 06-26-18 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 09:35 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I am curious to see how my fellow swifties are doing.

I am thinking of buying a stock seatpost, stock stem, ditching my rack, and getting a friction shifter.
And other suggestions?
Old 07-18-18, 09:23 AM
pismocycleguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
I am curious to see how my fellow swifties are doing.

I am thinking of buying a stock seatpost, stock stem, ditching my rack, and getting a friction shifter.
And other suggestions?
I’m using the stock seatpost and longer stem, no rack (use a bar bag) and replaced the grip shifter with a SRAM trigger shifter so I could use longer grips. Works fo me.
Old 07-20-18, 04:27 AM
randomwon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am thibking about buying pitlock skewers for the swift namely the front wheel and the seatpost, what size should I buy?
Old 08-04-18, 09:02 PM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy

I’m using the stock seatpost and longer stem, no rack (use a bar bag) and replaced the grip shifter with a SRAM trigger shifter so I could use longer grips. Works fo me.
I upgraded to Shimano 10 speed Z 11/36 derailuer with short cage and trigger shifter. Changed front sprocket to 44. Love the new setup.
Just hit 2k miles for the yr and 9k for 2 yrs.
I've owned lot's of bikes and this is one of my all time favorites.
Old 08-25-18, 02:50 PM
ttgg

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swift: Electric mid-drive, it will work but just affect the fold?

Hello, I believe I've read most if not all of this thread! Somewhere in here I saw mention like "too bad it can't take a mid-drive"... [Swift]. I'm a few months into owning a used Xootr Swift [loving it], looking and thinking things over it would seem the bike could take a mid-drive you'd just lose some of the folding range? I've never messed with an e-bike of any kind but have done a lot of reading/looking/planning. From what I can tell, this would seem to be the case, am I missing something?

The full fold is great for tucking in the back corner of my minivan but in general all I ask of a folder [as far as collapsing goes] is to have 20" wheels, handlebars that can quick release turn sideways, and folding pedals. Looking ahead, thinking maybe having 2 Xootr Swifts, keep one in the back of my van and a second with a mid-drive could easily be kept in my apartment unfolded.
thanks
Old 08-27-18, 06:51 AM
blodorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where can I buy one of these single piece curved stem/risers for the Xootr Swift? I see a couple photos with them and they look good. Some titanium but also non ti. Any pointers?
Old 09-03-18, 07:35 PM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can get the titanium version from Titan Cycles TITANcycles | custom titanium bike frames, forks and parts

Jur arranged for them to make some Swift design frames from titanium and they are still selling them. Peter Reich gave permission for a few frame runs... I’m not sure if they still have his blessing to be doing so but they still are at any rate. It’ll be expensive.

A Bike Friday stem may work. They make a custom stem riser for there folding bikes which also use a standard sized fork steerer tube so might fit. I can’t say for sure.

Someone posted a Swift that had a aluminum stem riser a little while back. It was listed as a Bacchetta riser which is a recumbent bicycle brand. Looks like they are available here https://www.bacchettabikes.com/produ...ce-system-swb/ for $40.

I have wondered before if a Bike Friday or Dahon riser would work on a Swift to give it a folding riser that would stay attached instead of coming off and just dangling.

Last edited by iamdougsbike; 09-03-18 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Found aluminum version...
Old 09-03-18, 07:48 PM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randomwon
I am thibking about buying pitlock skewers for the swift namely the front wheel and the seatpost, what size should I buy?
The front wheel has standard 100mm spacing like a road bike, the rear is 130mm I believe but also will take 135mm hubs so maybe it’s 132.5mm...

I bought a Clix Quick Release Front Skewer from https://www.clearybikes.com/collecti...e-front-skewer and it’s a huge improvement on making it easier to remove the wheel. Kind of the opposite of what your going for though.
Old 09-04-18, 05:53 AM
randomwon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamdougsbike
The front wheel has standard 100mm spacing like a road bike, the rear is 130mm I believe but also will take 135mm hubs so maybe it’s 132.5mm...

I bought a Clix Quick Release Front Skewer from https://www.clearybikes.com/collecti...e-front-skewer and it’s a huge improvement on making it easier to remove the wheel. Kind of the opposite of what your going for though.
yeah I figured it out that the width was 100, but I decided to just use another bike as the commuting bike and leave my prized possession swift at home,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.