Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good trail bike

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-19-18, 06:38 PM
Grebs

Bikes: Specialized rock hopper 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off I'm middle aged and over weight. About 350 pounds but currently losing. Was about 420.
I use to mountain bike and really enjoyed it. But that was a long time ago. Looking for a bike to use and was considering a gravel bike like a specialized diverge because I live by the Erie canal and there's miles and miles of tow path to hit. Seems that kind of bike would be more suited for that kind of riding but I can't stop thinking about the stump jumpers. At the local store they said the stump jumper is more than capable of towpathing. Even another fella (a customer ) came over and said the same. He just got one and loves it. Similar age. He was taller but thinner. Still fat tho lol. Anyways I'm at a loss on what direction to go. I would mostly be on the towpath until I'm more fit. Then I really want to try some off roading again
Old 08-19-18, 06:51 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Either bike I am sure you would enjoy. My gravel bike is very comfortable with tubeless 40mm tires. Of course my trail bike with plus tires soak up the hits very well.
these folks are having a sale.

https://nsbikeusa.com/collections/eccentric

Here is my gravel bike
https://m.norco.com/bikes/road/adven...earch-xrs-105/
Old 08-22-18, 03:20 PM
rm76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
I'm middle aged and getting less overweight thanks to my Banshee Spitfire V2.
I like to have fun on my bike and road oriented setups just don't do it for me. Chunky tyres, ride anywhere, super comfy ride. What's not to like?
At first getting back on the bike I was a bit nervous about jumps and gaps. Confidence is building and I'm having tons of fun learning.
There's tons of great bikes out there. I'd be thinking about what you want to end up riding and buy the best bike you can that's suited to that purpose but encompasses what you want to start off with in its capabilities.

For me, I'd choose the stumpy of the two!