Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Managing cue sheets in pouring rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 09:39 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
You posted pics of that design, right? Nicely done!
I didn't remember that I posted that, but it sounds like something I would do. That ortlieb map case looks gigantic. I wouldn't think you need something that big for a cue sheet. I used a topeak tourguide for a while that comes with a map case that's a good size for a cue sheet. I stopped using it because it made it hard to ride no-handed, which I like to be able to do from time to time.
Old 06-22-18, 10:07 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I didn't remember that I posted that, but it sounds like something I would do. That ortlieb map case looks gigantic. I wouldn't think you need something that big for a cue sheet. I used a topeak tourguide for a while that comes with a map case that's a good size for a cue sheet. I stopped using it because it made it hard to ride no-handed, which I like to be able to do from time to time.
Yes, the map case is oversize. I think the built in map holder on the bag will be more than enough room. My big concern is a rainy day melting my cue sheets. There was one person riding in the down pours during Benjamin that could still use cue sheets - he had a large map holder on this bar-bag. He laid out the cue sheets side-by-side so he could see all of them at once, no need to get wet hands on them and expose them to the rain. I hate to say how many times a pouring rain has destroyed my cue sheets, but I've always had a GPS route for backup. DAMn won't have the GPS option... so I gotta be sure I can use cue sheets reliably in the worst conditions. Plus I'm really bad at managing cue sheets on the move, so have more than one sheet displayed will really help me.

I am concerned about the bar-bag effecting handling, I'll take some test rides to see how this one effects my bike.
Old 06-22-18, 12:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Handling will not be a problem unless it's really heavy. My handlebar bag can get pretty heavy (I do put waterbottles in it) but the bike still handles fine. And the rake is too short for that. But my handlebar bag is huuuuuge relative to the small Ortlieb.

I used to put a handlebar bag about that size on my racing bike when I was doing long rides. Never had problems with handling.
Old 06-22-18, 07:57 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Yeah I used the banjo brothers medium handlebar bag for a while and never had an issue with handling. More than enough room for food for a century ride, too.
Old 08-20-18, 08:09 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

OP here with a quick report from The DAMn - I made it to Hagar City, WI around 8:30pm Saturday and I'm a DAMn Champion!

The Ultimate6 Small Classic was damn near perfect (sorry about the pun, but not really). I was able to fit two cue sheets side-by-side, it was easy to change sheets on the fly. I would like to figure out a way to secure the sheets a little better, they would move around on rough roads and be difficult to read.

Also loved keeping snacks up there and putting garbage in it too.

Here's a pic of the set up, this is from a training ride:

Old 08-21-18, 08:28 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I hope the OP comes back and posts a picture of the cue sheets the organizer provides. I'm not going to be surprised if they are horribly inadequate. OTOH, I imagine that the roads there are somewhat easier to navigate than in a lot of places.
Here's a pic (TMB Images) of the cue sheets: https://tmbimages.com/Cycling/Gravel...es/i-Nkpr6zq/A I can only think of one or two times we had to stop and analyse the correct directions. So the cue sheets weren't inadequate at all. However, this was a very simple route, basically 'go East'. The first 60 miles were less than two cue sheets!

This is a great video of the route:https://www.relive.cc/view/1781765893
Old 08-23-18, 07:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I could live with that cue sheet.