Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What tires you out more?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What tires you out more?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 04:38 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
What tires you out more?

Hi all,

I am currently riding 100-125 miles a week and lately find myself feeling more worn out. My rides are mostly 20-30 mile work commutes, depending on the route I take.

What wears you out more? 5-6 20 mile rides/week or 3 40 mile rides/week. Assume all other factors are equal. Hills, wind, etc.

Maybe Ijust have to give in to the fact that I am getting older. NOOOOOOOO!
Old 08-19-18, 04:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The older I get, the more I've been riding.

I can't imagine age should be much of an excuse unless you are over 80

I get tired in the evenings at times, but I can't say that 5 or 6 days a week at 20 miles a day would have much of an impact.

40 miles no stop, or 2x20 mile commutes? Still, doing that every other day or so isn't bad.

what really knocks me out is when I do that 150 miles a week.... in one day... TOWING.
Old 08-19-18, 05:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Are you taking a recovery week every 4 to 5 weeks?

Exercise tears down muscles. The body needs time to recover and build back strength.

Reduce intensity, duration and volume every few weeks and you will find that you come back fresher and stronger.

-Tim-
Old 08-19-18, 05:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
What tires me out is not the distance I often set out for traveling, it's the surroundings that impact each ride. The impacts & challenges of folks not having courtesy & expecting others to be sharing the same grounds will mentally drain the overall experience. It boggles my mind how those very same people have made it this far in life sometimes...
Old 08-19-18, 05:42 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
When I was in my forties and early fifties, my daily commute was about the same as yours. What I found was that my body would get conditioned to those 20 mile rides. I did go pretty hard, but they were basically sub- hour efforts. I would get quite fatigued at the end of a week - actually Thursday was usually the worst day.

What worked for me was to take one day off during the week (either work from home or ride the train) and start riding a long ride on the weekends. Once I was comfortable doing 60-80 miles in a day, the commute days became much less wearing and my energy levels went up. Rest is important, but so is variety.
Old 08-19-18, 05:48 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
This is a clear indication that you need a new bike. Oh, and you also need to take vitamins, eat more nutritious foods, quit your job (retire) so you can go on longer rides. Let the guilt of buying a new bike drive you to commit to a 45 to 55 mile loop. Ride every other day, taking naps when you get home. After a week, ride 10 to 20 miles on the days between. And so on. Then go for the big loop on back to back days and follow with a day off, rinse and repeat.

I followed this training regimen at age 62 when I bought my Renegade. A month building conditioning and then a month riding 55 miles, two days on, one day off, yielding 5x longish loops a week for the month of August in Carolina humidity. Then I got distracted dating a lady, but it was a great month of riding. You should try it.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 08-19-18 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-19-18, 05:49 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
The answer is obvious. You need to quit your job!
Old 08-19-18, 06:01 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
The answer is obvious. You need to quit your job!
The Doctor and I agree!!
Old 08-19-18, 06:06 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Troul
What tires me out is not the distance I often set out for traveling, it's the surroundings that impact each ride. The impacts & challenges of folks not having courtesy & expecting others to be sharing the same grounds will mentally drain the overall experience. It boggles my mind how those very same people have made it this far in life sometimes...
I just concentrate on riding safely. Beyond that, I don't worry about other people making their own way through life.

Perhaps there is some difference between country, mid city, and large city riding. Nonetheless, I was up in Portland which was the bigger city the other day, and there were several aspects that were comfortable about riding around the city.
Old 08-19-18, 06:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It depends on the intensity of your rides...If your intensity is low-medium then riding 6 days per week shouldn't be a problem...If you are hammering hard on every ride then you will burn yourself out and will need to ride less frequently.
Old 08-19-18, 07:27 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hills ... Hills and/or a strong headwind are what tire me out.
Old 08-19-18, 10:51 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It depends on the intensity of your rides...If your intensity is low-medium then riding 6 days per week shouldn't be a problem...If you are hammering hard on every ride then you will burn yourself out and will need to ride less frequently.
Quoted for truth.

I do 27-28 commuting miles per day. Five days one week, four days the next. It’s only possible because I don’t ride each time like it’s a time trial. I joyride on the weekends and try to fit in a short tour a couple times a year. Overall I’m doing lots of miles but by carefully monitoring my intensity level I can keep going almost indefinitely.

The advice to do longer rides in an effort to make the shorter rides less challenging is useful. There’s no shame in enjoying a leisurely cruise sometimes too. Chill.

-Kedosto
Old 08-20-18, 08:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Are you taking a recovery week every 4 to 5 weeks?

Exercise tears down muscles. The body needs time to recover and build back strength.

Reduce intensity, duration and volume every few weeks and you will find that you come back fresher and stronger.

-Tim-

Sounds like he's got recovery days built into his week. If so, a week recovery time is almost certainly unnecessary. We can trade sources on this if you like, but it doesn't sound like he's remotely in danger of over-training or tearing down muscle.
Old 08-20-18, 11:24 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I am going to try more variety in my rides and see if that feels better. I could also probably take a day and cruise more. I’m no crit racer but I do roll at a pretty good pace.
Old 08-20-18, 11:46 PM
Bahnzo

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Passage, 2006 Giant OCR3

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The older I get, the more I've been riding.

I can't imagine age should be much of an excuse unless you are over 80

I get tired in the evenings at times, but I can't say that 5 or 6 days a week at 20 miles a day would have much of an impact.

40 miles no stop, or 2x20 mile commutes? Still, doing that every other day or so isn't bad.

what really knocks me out is when I do that 150 miles a week.... in one day... TOWING.
I've found that the older I get, the more I've been riding also. But I ride less per ride (according to my stats) but more rides per month/year.

A couple years ago I was really putting on the miles and around Aug/Sept I was just dead. I mean one day I suddenly couldn't get out of bed I was so tired. And I was worried it was something serious like West Nile Virus (big around here some summers) or something worse even, so I went to the doc. He told be to stop riding so much. And he was right, to a point. I had ridden something like 30+ days straight, around 20+ miles each day in the heat of the day and it was just too much.

I've since learned to slow down some and not worry so much about how many miles or how fast the average is. It's worked out much better and I find I enjoy my riding more now that I'm now worried so much about distance/speed.
Old 08-21-18, 12:23 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I've found that the older I get, the more I've been riding also. But I ride less per ride (according to my stats) but more rides per month/year.

I went to the doc. He told be to stop riding so much. And he was right, to a point. I had ridden something like 30+ days straight, around 20+ miles each day in the heat of the day and it was just too much.

I've since learned to slow down some and not worry so much about how many miles or how fast the average is. It's worked out much better and I find I enjoy my riding more now that I'm now worried so much about distance/speed.
Most of my riding is commuting of sorts. I will say that 30 days a month is tough to handle. A couple of days off is always good.

So far I'm averaging 21.9 miles a day for this year (without riding every day).

A little faster would be nice, but I also take speed with a grain of salt. Usually. Distance, of course, is always just getting to my destination.
Old 08-21-18, 08:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
With a user name of "raceboy" I suspect the unrelenting intensity is the problem. It's probably possible to maintain the mileage every day without fatigue if you remember to treat a couple days' commute as recovery day rides. Take 5-7 minutes longer to get to and from work. You'll be surprised how much lower the intensity is on those days (and it's honestly hard to keep yourself from pushing sometimes), but the next day you'll be flying again.