Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Transitioning to road bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Transitioning to road bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 07:21 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hokicake
no, he's got a 32 mens pant inseam, that's like the most common size so has normal length legs. I always thought long legs in fact.
Sure it's not a 59? According to this, the 49 CM falls into the 5'0''to 5'3'' range.

Old 08-17-18, 07:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
If its a tailored 32 inseam, i don't know what to tell you then. Some kids wear 32 length yet they're no more then a 28.
Old 08-17-18, 07:40 PM
hokicake

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nopes you can see it in one of the pictures above, it's the white/black one behind my new bike. It says 44cm on the tube and the guy fitted him for it. I was there and I remember cause at the time it was the most money we ever spent on a bike cause it cost 900 dollars.
Old 08-17-18, 07:55 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by Pendergast
It was probably just new bike enthusiasm that did you in. You may have pushed a little harder than normal and weren't ready for that level of effort.
Maybe so. I think also the fact that I went late morning instead of my usual late afternoon, meaning I hadn't eaten or drank as much the previous 10 hours as usual. And it was pretty hot, 90 and humid at the finish.

There's a group ride tomorrow morning, and I was so cocky in the middle of the ride today that I thought I could do that 50-miler and turn around and do a 40-mile group ride tomorrow. But after how this one ended and how I feel at the moment, I will be postponing my group ride debut.

But I'll get there.
Old 08-18-18, 01:18 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
I took the plunge this week and bought a road bike. Thanks for all those who gave feedback on my deliberations about doing this a while back. Very glad that I did.

On the greenway that I frequent, I could complete 50 miles at 13 mph on the hybrid.

Today, on the new road bike, I covered the first 25 miles in 15 mph and maintained that speed through 40 miles.

So I'm thrilled that it did what I hoped - got me to a speed that will make group rides realistic. I think I can go even faster than 15 mph in a pack and entirely on pavement (the greenway is dirt for about 12 of those 50 miles). Plus, the greenway forces me to stop a half-dozen times for traffic.

Now for the sobering part - I bonked the final 10 miles today. It was partly heat and dehydration, but I think it was mainly not being used to the road bike, which takes a bigger toll on my arms and neck muscles, and to some extent might be working my legs slightly differently.

Is that to be expected? That I need a little more time for my body to adjust to the different posture?

Or am I just making an excuse for running out of gas?

Here's the bike, fwiw. Very happy with it. Just something to get me in the game of group riding on the roads.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me when I went out on my first ride of my road bike! Rode the exact same route as I use to on my hybrid (27 mile loop) got half way and had to stop as felt physically exhausted! Luckily the was a petrol station near by so was able to get food and drinks. Not happened since, thought it was down to new gear ratios but think I just got over excited and tried harder than normal! 🤣 Not happened since.
Old 08-18-18, 05:26 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
no, he's got a 32 mens pant inseam, that's like the most common size so has normal length legs. I always thought long legs in fact.
This doesn't make any sense. I wear pants with 32 inseam, sometimes even 30. My bike is 54 cm and there is a plenty of space to top tube left...
Old 08-18-18, 06:40 PM
Troul 

nopes you can see it in one of the pictures above, it's the white/black one behind my new bike. It says 44cm on the tube and the guy fitted him for it. I was there and I remember cause at the time it was the most money we ever spent on a bike cause it cost 900 dollars.
tailored as to a suit, & measured by them people for accuracy
Old 08-18-18, 06:54 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I like shorter test rides w new gear. but I can see wanting to ring it out
Old 08-18-18, 06:58 PM
Troul 

I've always tried to make it a short test ride, but it turns into full tilt riding from the pure adrenaline of a new ratio combo.
then i regerts (intentionally spelt) it the follow rest day... But then hop back on for more action.
Vicious cycle with cycling... I swear i dont have an addiction!
Old 08-18-18, 11:03 PM
ksovich

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5 foot tall and I ride a 48....that seems really small for your boyfriend.
Old 08-21-18, 07:22 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe so. I think also the fact that I went late morning instead of my usual late afternoon, meaning I hadn't eaten or drank as much the previous 10 hours as usual. And it was pretty hot, 90 and humid at the finish.

There's a group ride tomorrow morning, and I was so cocky in the middle of the ride today that I thought I could do that 50-miler and turn around and do a 40-mile group ride tomorrow. But after how this one ended and how I feel at the moment, I will be postponing my group ride debut.

But I'll get there.
So you were basically doing a fasted ride. Have you done fasted rides before? If you're not used to it, you will reach your limit much earlier than when you do your regular rides.
Old 08-21-18, 07:29 AM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by finch204
So you were basically doing a fasted ride. Have you done fasted rides before? If you're not used to it, you will reach your limit much earlier than when you do your regular rides.
I don't know the specific definition of a fasted ride, but I'm sure I was not as 'pre-nourished' as I normally am as someone who generally always rides in the afternoon after having had both breakfast and lunch and a pre-ride snack.
Old 08-21-18, 07:33 AM
CoogansBluff

And to follow up on this, I did my first group ride yesterday w/ the new bike. I'm actually visiting Athens, Ga., this week (I live in North Carolina). Found a 25-mile group ride online and just showed up. It was four of us, and I thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciate the two 'veterans' of the group who showed the other two of us the ropes and made us feel very welcome. It was a 15-17 mph group, and I was able to hang in there. No way I could've done that on my hybrid, so it validated my decision to splurge on the road bike. Very eager to get out on another group ride. Lot of fun. New world to me.
Old 08-21-18, 07:42 AM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know the specific definition of a fasted ride, but I'm sure I was not as 'pre-nourished' as I normally am as someone who generally always rides in the afternoon after having had both breakfast and lunch and a pre-ride snack.
My definition for a fasted ride is waking up and immediately going out for a ride without eating anything, except drinking some water before and during the ride. I usually do fasted rides but only limit them to 30 minutes, since that's all the time I have in the morning. I eat when I get back home.
Old 08-21-18, 07:45 AM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by finch204
My definition for a fasted ride is waking up and immediately going out for a ride without eating anything, except drinking some water before and during the ride. I usually do fasted rides but only limit them to 30 minutes, since that's all the time I have in the morning. I eat when I get back home.
I ate before I rode, but not a lot. Maybe two bowls of cereal and began the ride at 10 a.m. So the cereal was all I had eaten between probably 8 p.m. the night before until I finished the ride around 2 p.m. the next day.
Old 08-21-18, 07:46 AM
CoogansBluff

What is the purpose of a fasted ride?
Old 08-21-18, 07:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
From upright JRA, to Road Bike?

Lots of Toe touches, (spine flexibility) sit ups, (core strength)
and push ups (arm strength)..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-21-18 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 06:47 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Lots of Toe touches, (spine flexibility) sit ups, (core strength)
and push ups (arm strength)..

I need that advice and prompting. I'm not strong in those areas, very imbalanced,and I do think I felt it more than some might.
Old 08-22-18, 10:28 AM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is the purpose of a fasted ride?
It's not that I intentionally aim to do a fasted ride, it is just that I cannot exercise right after eating breakfast. So I end up doing my workouts before eating breakfast.

Based on articles I've read before, not everyone recommends doing fasted workouts everyday, especially if you aim to push yourself during the workout. Link below has a little more info on it. There was also a book I read last year that mentioned a specific benefit with doing fasted workouts, but I cannot remember the details. I'll try to dig up that info. At the end of the day, getting a workout done is better than not working out at all.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...atest-science/

And to bring it back to topic on bikes, I think we can say for sure that you did not bonk just because you transitioned to a road bike. It most likely was a combination of things that other people and you yourself already mentioned. Not enough food/fluids, humid riding conditions and a certain eagerness to push more on a new road bike.
Old 08-22-18, 11:00 AM
vtdougie

Bikes: Felt Z-5 Cannondale Quick 5

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is 25 miles the halfway mark of an out and back 40 mile ride?

Last edited by vtdougie; 08-22-18 at 11:01 AM. Reason: left out the distance of the ride
Old 08-24-18, 10:50 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by vtdougie
How is 25 miles the halfway mark of an out and back 40 mile ride?
Metric system?
Old 08-30-18, 04:16 PM
bikingtotown

Bikes: 15 Giant anyroad 1, 16 Trek farley 9.6, 15 Trek domane 5.2 c

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are kind of easier going bikes you were probably pushing a little too hard for the geometry. I have found myself to get sorest when riding too intensely on more relaxed style of bikes. Id recommend to drop handlebars/ raise seat if you want to ride at racier pace. Or maybe just dial it back a little bit and enjoy the ride!

Last edited by bikingtotown; 08-30-18 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-30-18, 04:32 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
This doesn't make any sense. I wear pants with 32 inseam, sometimes even 30. My bike is 54 cm and there is a plenty of space to top tube left...
I ride a 58 and wear 32 inseam pants and my nuts are in no danger AND my top tube doesn't slope down either.

Something's not right, probably the 5'10" part.
Old 08-30-18, 05:26 PM
gvegastiger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fasted rides

Normally your body burns glucose for energy. The glucose typically comes from carbs. When your ride fasted your carb stores are depleted prior to the ride so your body converts fat into fatty acids which it uses for fuel.

Fasted rides can help you lose weight but it primarily helps train your body to burn fat for fuel and become more efficient at turning all food into energy. At least that is the theory. I’m not sure how effective this is but some pro riders swear by it.

But it you never want to push it especially if you aren’t used to it. One of the biggest dangers is that you can become very light headed if your brain isn’t getting enough fuel. Our brains function mostly from glucose derived energy. If your body can’t produce enough fatty acids because it’s not used to jumping into a ketosis state you can pass out.