Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Derailleur Hangers 25 Years Later

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-21-18, 01:25 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts

Just wondering if derailleur hangers used on bikes today will still be available 25-30 years from now, particularly for no-name online bikes. It will be a miracle enough if Wheels is still making them for name brand bikes 25 years old or more, but for no-name stuff?? Or small makers of custom or limited production frames? Just wondering how we will deal with it when the need arises.
Old 08-21-18, 01:54 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
no-name bikes and big-name bikes use the same specs (mostly) as far as hangers go. And as long as a rear derailleur (in its current form) is being used, then all hangers will be pretty much similar and will work for no-name or big-name bikes. I don't see this changing anytime soon, not even close.
Old 08-21-18, 01:58 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
No name bike is more likely to have used a "standard" or more common hanger than one of the brand names. i have no proof, but the brands that like to introduce their own standards (i.e. Cannondale) i suspect more to use their own designs than one of the shelf. Again, i have no evidence of that, just a suspicion.
Assuming you ask about your specific bike, look up at wheelsmanufacturing if one of their 280+ hangers matches yours and buy a spare. My fatbike came with a spare and I have it with my tools just in case.

General bike industry rant:
Why do we have so many hanger types? There is probably an engineering reason to have 5 different ones, but not that boatload of hanger types. No store can keep them in stock and even if you find one they are relatively pricy for what hey are (some soft aluminum)
Old 08-21-18, 01:59 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The best bet would go to https://derailleurhanger.com/shop and find the closet match. They have like over 450 of them. The bike I bought a few months ago came with a spare one. I'm keeping that under lock and key.
Old 08-21-18, 02:01 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by aclinjury
no-name bikes and big-name bikes use the same specs (mostly) as far as hangers go. And as long as a rear derailleur (in its current form) is being used, then all hangers will be pretty much similar and will work for no-name or big-name bikes. I don't see this changing anytime soon, not even close.
You must not have seen the vast variety of hangers. One hanger from one bike fitting to another one is like wining the lottery. This is just from a 3rd party manufacturer that covers often used ones (not including rare ones as there is no business case for them)
Old 08-21-18, 02:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Stock up on a couple spares?
Old 08-21-18, 02:42 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I am thinking more about restorations in 25-30 years. Will those who restore bikes be screwed or required to replicate them from sheet aluminum(nice and flexy)? Kind of like restoring a Cord or Duessy?
Old 08-21-18, 03:35 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
While not easy, I was able to find a current-production replacement for a 20+ year-old Giant frame that uses an obsolete system. I would say fears are likely unfounded.
Old 08-21-18, 06:10 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
In 25 years, there will be a database of every one ever made and you'll spit one out of a 3d metal printer.
Old 08-21-18, 07:19 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
You must not have seen the vast variety of hangers. One hanger from one bike fitting to another one is like wining the lottery. This is just from a 3rd party manufacturer that covers often used ones (not including rare ones as there is no business case for them)
OP was wondering about generic no-name bikes being sold online today. That means generic bikes from online sellers like Nashbar, Bike Direct, et al. Chances are, all these no-name bikes come from China or Taiwan, all coming out from a few large factories, and all using the same spec hangers, or maybe two. I'd be very shocked to see if each of those no-name bike models would use a a totally different off the beaten path hangers. These marginal-profit bikes don't make a profit by a 100 different specs hangers. OP has absolutely nothing to worry about.
Old 08-21-18, 08:27 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 381 Posts
I ride a Gios Compact Pro, which I have had for 20 years, and which is still in production today. I once had the derailleur get caught in the spokes, bending the hanger, but as the Compact Pro is steel, I simply bent the hanger back into position. I have a spare just in case I ever need it.
Old 08-21-18, 08:49 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by aclinjury
OP was wondering about generic no-name bikes being sold online today. That means generic bikes from online sellers like Nashbar, Bike Direct, et al. Chances are, all these no-name bikes come from China or Taiwan, all coming out from a few large factories, and all using the same spec hangers, or maybe two. I'd be very shocked to see if each of those no-name bike models would use a a totally different off the beaten path hangers. These marginal-profit bikes don't make a profit by a 100 different specs hangers. OP has absolutely nothing to worry about.
unlike the LBS brands?
Old 08-22-18, 06:03 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
In 25 years, there will be a database of every one ever made and you'll spit one out of a 3d metal printer.
That's what I was thinking. The supplier wouldn't even need to keep a stock on hand, just print out what's needed as the orders come in.
Old 08-22-18, 06:40 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
While not easy, I was able to find a current-production replacement for a 20+ year-old Giant frame that uses an obsolete system. I would say fears are likely unfounded.
I think some of the old CADEX hanger/dropouts are getting tough to source, but they fall into a very unique niche, and probably are part of the question above...

Generics (Pacific Cycles for example) are very ubiquitous, and should be available for a good long time. On the other hand, big name brands might introduce one for a couple of years, the move on.

On the bright side, many replacement hangers are not OEM, but rather copies. And, long as Wheels Manufacturing and similar companies have the CNC templates, they'll likely to continue to support them.