Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Amanda Coker's Highest Annual Mileage Attempt

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 07:04 PM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Haven't read this entire thread so perhaps this has been discussed, but looking at Amanda's ride data on Strava, she's averaging over 20 mph for 250 miles daily at a heart rate that, for a female her age, is undoubtedly low zone 1 recovery output. That just seems difficult to fathom, even for an elite pro male rider. Is she being motorpaced by a vehicle or something on these rides? Not trying to discredit her, but just curious.
You must not have been following her at all. She is doing this in a public park. I can's see how she can dodge all those people and still maintain that avg. It just shows how strong of a rider she is. On the person that posted about her 3 bikes and support. I think she is riding one of the Schlitter's bike shops bent. Since they ride with her from time to time I guess they are close enough to help keep that bike maintained. I don't know what kind of bike mechanic skills her Dad has but I am guessing quit a bit as they supporter her riding across the USA before she started this attempt. This really has nothing to do with anything she is still going out and riding those mega miles every day. I am guess all she has to worry about is getting on the bike every day.
Old 05-09-17, 06:48 AM
bluestacks867

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is she riding a recumbent bike?
Old 05-09-17, 06:56 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluestacks867
It's my understanding that she uses multiple bikes and a recumbent is in the mix.

Old 05-09-17, 01:53 PM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bluestacks867
She has a TT bike, a road bike, a Schlitter Encore, and rides each of them pretty much every day.

Leg muscle recruitment, as well as contact points, are different on each bike and swapping between them helps to mitigate saddle sores, overuse injuries, fatigue, etc.

Last edited by c.miller64; 05-09-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 12:00 PM
bluestacks867

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be interesting to see a mileage or daily break down between recumbent and non-recumbent rides. Regardless of those numbers, it is still an amazing, super-human feat.
Old 05-12-17, 01:22 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
She'll probably end up with over 86,500 mi for the year. She was at 85756.6 mi with 3 more days to go.
Old 05-13-17, 03:07 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by joewein
She'll probably end up with over 86,500 mi for the year. She was at 85756.6 mi with 3 more days to go.
She went over 86,000 yesterday ending it with a 302 mile ride. She has today and tomorrow to go, so you're probably pretty close on your estimate.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-13-17, 05:55 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
She went over 86,000 yesterday ending it with a 302 mile ride. She has today and tomorrow to go, so you're probably pretty close on your estimate.
Wow 302 miles with only 2 days to go. She is killing it.

Zman
Old 05-14-17, 04:58 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Where to find the final tally from today?

Last edited by dksix; 05-14-17 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 07:53 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
Where to find the final tally from today?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2022488017
Old 05-14-17, 08:09 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Thank you.
Old 05-15-17, 02:06 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Looks like the finally tally is in:
86573.2 miles from May 15, 2016 to May 14, 2017.
Old 05-15-17, 02:06 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
86573.1 miles
Old 05-15-17, 05:40 AM
c.miller64

Is Amanda Coker For Real? | Bicycling
Old 05-15-17, 06:00 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
All due credit to her. As discussed earlier in this thread, it is not something that I would or could possibly consider doing; there is for sure a certain psychological requirement to succeed at this sort of thing, whether created by birth or by accident earlier in life.

She has her name in the record books, and she has shown that a woman is more than equal to a man in this sort of endurance. Full credit and congratulations to her.

As a side note,I hope that the network that sustained her for the past 12 months will continue to support her welfare in the next 12 months and well beyond. Perhaps her psychological make-up is such that she won't fall prey to depression and feeling of hopelessness that often follow major undertakings like this, and that she has some other meaningful activities to occupy her.
Old 05-15-17, 06:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
so, she's going to keep riding? How many days off has she taken?
Old 05-15-17, 06:58 AM
c.miller64

Originally Posted by unterhausen
so, she's going to keep riding? How many days off has she taken?
Yes, she's now attempting to set the UMCA and Guinness record of "Fastest to 100,000 miles".

Originally Posted by unterhausen
How many days off has she taken?
None.
Old 05-15-17, 07:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
no days off is almost more impressive to me than the miles.

I used to suffer from dysphoria after long rides. When I rode 400k in my 20's, it was pretty acute, but short-lived. After my first 600k, it lasted a month. My understanding is that it's pretty common. I suppose there is a potential for that to happen to anyone. Fortunately, for me, it doesn't happen anymore.
Old 05-15-17, 05:50 PM
John_V 

Originally Posted by Rowan
All due credit to her. As discussed earlier in this thread, it is not something that I would or could possibly consider doing; there is for sure a certain psychological requirement to succeed at this sort of thing, whether created by birth or by accident earlier in life.

She has her name in the record books, and she has shown that a woman is more than equal to a man in this sort of endurance. Full credit and congratulations to her.

As a side note,I hope that the network that sustained her for the past 12 months will continue to support her welfare in the next 12 months and well beyond. Perhaps her psychological make-up is such that she won't fall prey to depression and feeling of hopelessness that often follow major undertakings like this, and that she has some other meaningful activities to occupy her.
For the past year, Amanda and her family have had fantastic support from dozens of people that are regulars at Flatwoods and many that aren't. She and her family have made many friends there and from what I have witnessed, I don't think that will end anytime soon. I know my wife and I will continue to support her and her parents for as long as she decides to take on challenges.

I have been riding Flatwoods on a daily basis for the last 6 years. Never have I seen so many people come together and support anyone at that park as I have with the Cokers. They have created a family that I think will be around for some time to come.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-15-17, 06:41 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
incredible, beating the world record held by Tommy Godwin for most miles in 365 days. Well done.
Old 05-15-17, 06:47 PM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c.miller64
Great article. Her world record is amazing in its own right, but just as amazing, and maybe even more significant, is the impact she's had on those around her by providing inspiration and motivation. The number of people who recorded their own personal bests, lost weight, picked up the sport, etc. is a testament to her example. Congrats Amanda!
Old 05-16-17, 05:26 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
For the past year, Amanda and her family have had fantastic support from dozens of people that are regulars at Flatwoods and many that aren't. She and her family have made many friends there and from what I have witnessed, I don't think that will end anytime soon. I know my wife and I will continue to support her and her parents for as long as she decides to take on challenges.

I have been riding Flatwoods on a daily basis for the last 6 years. Never have I seen so many people come together and support anyone at that park as I have with the Cokers. They have created a family that I think will be around for some time to come.

John_V I have only been able to follow her when she posts something on UMCA. I knew the Schlitters supported here and help her with her bent bike. I thought I read somewhere where she didn't like new people riding around her as she wasn't comfortable with that. Do you mean that she did get a chance to ride around some of the locals. Care to talk more about that?

Thanks
Zman
Old 05-17-17, 09:24 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by Zurichman2
John_V I have only been able to follow her when she posts something on UMCA. I knew the Schlitters supported here and help her with her bent bike. I thought I read somewhere where she didn't like new people riding around her as she wasn't comfortable with that. Do you mean that she did get a chance to ride around some of the locals. Care to talk more about that?

Thanks
Zman
She still doesn't like people she doesn't know jumping in her draft or group. It takes her meeting you a few times before she gets comfortable with you. However, that's not a guarantee that she'll let you ride with her. It totally depends on how you approach her and your attitude on cycling. She doesn't like hotdoggers and show offs and those that can't safely ride in a paceline. I have a riding buddy that rides with me about four days a week. He's a terrible paceline rider and they do know each other by more than just being at the park. As much as he wants to ride with her, neither she nor I will let him get anywhere near her. Between he and my hay fever is why I haven't ridden with her as often as I would like, during the past several months.
Old 05-30-17, 01:52 PM
Rider51

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, S-Works Camber, Eddy Merckx Ti-Ax

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the update John.

I wanted to make a comment that wasn't mentioned before (that I know of). It's well known that the area can be pretty windy, but we're now in the part of the year there where it can be oppressively hot and humid, often for days on end. I have a friend who lives about ten miles from Flatwoods, and there have already been several days recently where the heat index has topped 100 degrees for several hours during the day. In fact, as I type this right now, the heat index there is 108 degrees.

Amanda is out riding in it.

If you have not attempted to exercise in such conditions, you have no idea what this is like, how incredibly draining it is, and how careful you have to be with hydration and electrolytes. I managed to once ride a half-century in triple digit heat index, and it pushed me to my physical limit. I was probably going about half as fast as the speed Amanda rides the last 20 miles or so of my ride.
Old 07-27-17, 07:16 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I mentioned this story in conversation the other day to my 18 y/o daughter who is an elite-level national swimmer and thought her response was pretty interesting.
Dad: ”A 24 year-old girl just passed the record for most miles cycled in a year, and she still has a month to go. Isn’t that cool?”

Daughter: “Does she get anything for it?”

Dad: “No, she’s just doing it to break the record”

Daughter: “Where is she doing it? Is she riding around the country or something?”

Dad: “No. She’s riding around a 7 mile bike path in a park in Florida. Over 200 miles every day.”

Daughter: “What? She’s riding around in a circle? That’s not cool. It’s just weird. That would be like me swimming pool laps to break the record for distance swimming in a year versus someone else trying to do it in open water. If she were fast she would race”
She did race and she won.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.