Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Shoes/Boots

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter Shoes/Boots

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 11:00 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by elocs
Forty years ago I had a 1970 Subaru 360:

It was so small I could stick my right hand out the passenger's window. But I couldn't wear winter boots because there was not enough room between the gas pedal, brake, and clutch pedal.
Way cool!!! One of my uncles had a Subaru 360, back around '72.
Old 11-05-17, 11:17 AM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
Way cool!!! One of my uncles had a Subaru 360, back around '72.
I wish I still had it because it would be worth some money today but then I wish I still had my comic book collection from the late 50s and early 60s which would have included the first Spiderman comic. Thanks Mom!
Old 11-05-17, 08:50 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
LL Bean Snow Sneakers 3 with platforms for snow rides.
Old 11-06-17, 09:50 PM
audrey27

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best outfit to wear when riding a bicycle during winter is to wear just enough clothes to be slightly cold when you start pedaling. The first few minutes may be chilly, but your body produces a vast amount of heat when riding a bike so you'll warm up quickly.
Old 11-12-17, 11:40 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
I'm a road rider, mostly in the city. If there's snow and ice on the roads and I can't drive, I can take the bus. I do want to be able to ride when the roads are mostly clear, though, no matter the temperature. Mostly, I don't need cycling-specific gear. My winter coats, gloves, thermal underwear, and jeans work okay on the bike.

Up until a couple years ago, I had at least one bike with toe clips, so I could hypothetically ride in any shoes. My winter boots wouldn't fit in the clips, though. Even with platforms, the boots still hit the crank arms. I'm thoroughly sold on clipless pedals, now. It's not that I like being able to pull on the up-stroke, but I have bad memories of slipping off platform pedals and banging my shins. I suppose that's not as bad with boots and long johns and jeans, but I'd still prefer to keep my feet on the pedals. I don't have a footwear solution yet. I have two pairs of cleated shoes, but they are both sized for very thin socks, and are rather breezy. I'd like some cleated boots, but I think I'll try some shoe covers, first.

My head isn't as much a concern as my feet, but I can't fit my knit caps under my helmets, and I would like a warmer solution without giving up the helmet.
Old 11-12-17, 12:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK

My head isn't as much a concern as my feet, but I can't fit my knit caps under my helmets, and I would like a warmer solution without giving up the helmet.
Helmet covers such as that by Sugoi boost head warmth as much as a medium skull cap under. There are also skull caps in "fleece" that are quite warm. I bought a nice fleece skull cap at REI last spring. I also buy helmets that I can dial the headband back to fit those caps under.

Ben
Old 11-13-17, 12:35 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have the REI thermal fleece lined skull cap. It keeps the warmth in down to 37F. I haven't ridden at temps below that because (1) it's CA and (2) I wimp out when it's really cold. But now with new winter cycling shoes, I might be able to keep my feet warm enough to not be such a wimp.
Old 12-29-17, 09:20 PM
providencebikes
Banned

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had two solutions i usually use toe clips and sometimes its ok sometimes i long for the effientcy of my road clippless it really comes down to how good you are on a bike vs the conditions you are used to

One solution that is cheap and effetive is to get a bunch of pairs of merino wool and a larger water proof shoe cover get some plastic or even carbon fiber sheets add some thermal material what ever you like it could be cheap walmart thermal blankets or tin foils or what ever. now take one pair of large wool socks put them over your cheap affordable road shoes glue or attach a layer of what ever insulation you want to the outside, you can also use a tall boot or ever a dummy leg just to hold the shape so you can form it up , and i reccomend a flexible materials. Also cut the plastic or carbon fib sheet to the shape of the shoe you will use make two if them one goes inside the last layer one goes out . now after you make you thermal layer over the first wool socks put the next wool sock over it attch how ever you like repeat this one more time if you want. But the final layer will be the inexpensive shoe cover again glue or sew it over . then take the layers off your shoe or boot and attach the second plastic cut out inside the shoe and try to mark a hole for your cleat you can also attach some platice sheet cut out to the top to help your shoe slide in and out but this hack is mostly for one pair of shoes to to stay in and you just roll it down to fasten you shoes and take them off . finally you cut out as much material as you need to make a hole for your soles and cleats .now if you want to walk in treaded cycle shoes you will need an elastic strap and a way to keep the over shoe hack ridigid on the sides. What you get is a cheap winter shoe under 200 easy .i would say no more than 70 for the base cycle shoe and the socks plastic and thermal material can be had under 40 even pulled from old jackets gloves ect . what ever and then just dont forget the water proof layer . and it should be just fine . and the second part would be almost the same just get a base pair of shoes and find some bigger winter boots you can slice open hack a fastening system on and you can wear boots over your cycle shoes as covers . little harder but still might save you from buying a 300 wolfsqammer booby shoes just to have it not work break or even get stole ....

Last edited by providencebikes; 12-29-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 07:51 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For the past eleven winters I've been using LL Bean Snow sneakers. They're good to 0f. NEOS overshoes for below that.

Last edited by scoatw; 01-16-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 09:27 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I initially used Performance's Neoprene Bootie over my MTN shoes but after about 4-5 years, I went to Lake's Winter Boots with my SPD's. When it gets really cold* though, I add Endura's MT500 thicker Neoprene Bootie over the Lake's. I most definitely have it dialed in for my needs now. I'll never go back.

*15F and below or so
Old 01-28-18, 10:52 PM
cj19

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6, Salsa Vaya Apex

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love winter riding, hate having cold feet. I've tried every trick listed here as well as others but finally decided to go all in with winter riding boots. After a lot of research I purchased 45Nrth Wolvhammer and I simply could not be more pleased. Well put together, easy to take on and off, lots of cleat adjustability, warm down to 10 deg F (that's the lowest I've ridden) and absurdly comfortable. No more worrying about my feet or fiddling with homemade solutions. Different strokes for different folks but if you're considering winter riding boots I can tell you that the Wolvhammer is now my favorite piece of winter riding gear.
Old 01-28-18, 11:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
I just got reminded of another real foot warmer - gators. No, not the goofy ones snow shoe-ers and cross-country skiers use. Gators made for winter cycling in either the cold or heavy rain. I have a pair where the top half velcros around my ankle inside my legwarmers or tights. They then expand to a bigger, flaring diameter with a second velcro behind my boot covering the top snugly. Slim fit and not noticeable (if you wear old-school correct black footwear).

This keeps all wind and water off my ankles and out of my boots/shoes. Sadly, I had to invent them so there are non out there for sale. And I've already lost enough money trying to get very small market, really cool stuff off the ground.

cj19, those 45 North boots are killer, aren't they! I live in Portland, nowhere near cold enough for the Wolvhammers so I use the Fasterkatts. Love them. My gators were conceived and made to seal the tops of those boots. (I'm pretty skinny. The fit is great but there is a gap at the top.)

Ben
Old 02-03-18, 04:35 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Specialized Defroster winter boots. Neoprene shoe covers don't work so great when it's -15*C out, even with toe warmers, and I've run out of these already.
Old 02-03-18, 09:34 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Since this winter, I'm using thick wool socks (I love these ones from MEC https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4008-030/40-Below-Socks), Keen boots and relatively thick neoprene shoe covers against the wind. Works well for me, which has been down to approx. -13C (-20 wind chill) so far. I would agree with mcours2006 that I would expect that setup to become exhausted of options somewhere below -15C...-20C or so.