Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What’s your number one tire lever?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What’s your number one tire lever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 09:22 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Seriously though....I haven't encountered a tire that needed serious leverage to get on. I just use the lever to get them off.
Old 06-19-18, 10:22 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
@bikingbill and @Abe_Froman, you either have hands of steel or have really loose tires. With the Continental Gatorskin folding (kevlar bead), I'm just able to mount my hand if the tire has been on the rim already (and stretched a little). New tire, no way. Also doubt that hand mounting would be possible with many wire bead tires. But if you can mount by hand, then by all means go for it. Just be careful while stuffing in the tube. I'v both pinched the tube with the tire bead and also caused a fold or twist in the tube. Both if which forced me to take one tire bead off and redo the process...

Last edited by ptempel; 06-19-18 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 10:38 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
To mount without lever one needs to use your palms and rub the tire bead over the rim edge. Keep the beads that are already in rim centered in lowest part. I stopped using levers years ago when I figured this out. It is easier with used tires, but I've never had a new one that wouldn't rub on.
Old 06-19-18, 11:05 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
@bikingbill and @Abe_Froman, you either have hands of steel or have really loose tires. With the Continental Gatorskin folding (kevlar bead), I'm just able to mount my hand if the tire has been on the rim already (and stretched a little). New tire, no way. Also doubt that hand mounting would be possible with many wire bead tires. But if you can mount by hand, then by all means go for it. Just be careful while stuffing in the tube. I'v both pinched the tube with the tire bead and also caused a fold or twist in the tube. Both if which forced me to take one tire bead off and redo the process...
Yea see the above comment. I mean I’m not 75 with frail hands and arthritis, but I dont have exceptiona hand strength by any means. My arms look closer to a cyclists T-rex arms than anything lol

I mean this is the ultimate cliche, but 90% of getting a tire on is technique. Once one bead is on, I put the wheel on the ground, valve opposite me, bend over the top of the wheel, and massage the 2nd bead in towards the center of the tim, and downwards toward the valve with both my thumbs, one on the left side, one on the right arc of the rim. Once I get as far as I can using my thumbs, THEN i use the palms of my hands and some strength. Push hard with your palms now on the bead. You’ll probably get another inch or two of bead on. On a looser tire, it might just snap in here. Usually not. So just reprat the process. The bead esge closest to the valve ahould be pretty taught now, and won’t go anywhere. Start at the top, and do the same thing with your thumbs. You’re just trying to creat slack in the bead at the valve end. Repeat as many times as necessary. Each time you go around the rim, you’ll get the bead to seat a bit closer the the valve, where finally it pops in.

It’s not a matter of strength...more like patience. But it shouldnt take more than 5 minutes this way, even for a stubborn, stiff bead.
Old 06-20-18, 03:25 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have technique AND hands of steel. I've done Marathon Pluses by hand.

Abe is right though, technique matters more.
Old 08-20-18, 12:51 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've done Marathon Pluses by hand.

It's technique and hand strength.
Old 08-20-18, 01:05 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Added to calendar for October 20: "check bikeforums thread about tire levers, see whether bikingbill can still do Marathon Pluses by hand. Also, is technique important?"
Old 08-20-18, 09:01 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
To dismount, Swiss Army Knife screwdriver blade, always mount by hand.
Old 08-21-18, 10:10 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I say it is teeth and jaw strength with a bit of technique.
Old 08-22-18, 09:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I say it is teeth and jaw strength with a bit of technique.
good thing I wear a tooth guard
Old 08-22-18, 09:29 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bug Shield
Quick Stick, in the rare case that my fingers are not up to the job. I'm really shocked to see that Quick Stick is not very popular in this thread.
Me too-been using them for years and they've very rarely let me down. I can often use my hands but for tight beads (tubeless tires for example) the QuickStik does the job 99/100.
Old 08-22-18, 09:50 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Yeah I got one of those as a freebie from a Bike To Work Day kiosk a few years ago. I use it sometimes, it seems to work pretty good.