Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Origami Electric in pre-production stage

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Origami Electric in pre-production stage

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 09:36 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
I think it looks quite smart for what it is...

...in fact, if Paul sold in Indonesia I'd ask to buy a frame (with v-brake bosses) only...
Old 02-16-18, 09:46 PM
gfc56

Bikes: SE Bikes Fat Quad SE Bikes OM DURO 40th Anniversary Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
Yes. All of our bikes are very capable off road.
Good to hear. How soon will this folding bike be available for purchase. Thanks
Old 02-16-18, 10:23 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
On paper that bike is great. Mid motor, carbon fiber, disk brakes and aesthetically it is quite pleasing. I think you have a winner here.
Old 02-17-18, 12:19 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A) opinion
B) How on earth could you assume this? The fold is actually small at 33 x 24 x 14
C) it is informational only, just like all of the other posts here.
Except you own the company. So, this is advertising. Is there not a trade section where you can promote your wares with your « informational » posts?

Also, the fold is considerably larger than, say, a Brompton or the forthcoming Helix, of which, for me anyway, the former is the benchmark for folding bikes.
Old 02-17-18, 01:57 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It looks cool to me and am OK with learning about a new bike. Maybe in a future revision the battery could hang under the frame or go in front of the motor to free up rack space. Price doesn't seem too crazy to me since it's carbon and powered.
Old 02-17-18, 03:11 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Nice looking well thought out design.
Fenders?
Old 02-17-18, 09:54 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Revoltingest
Nice looking well thought out design.
Fenders?
I have been looking at fender options, but nothing yet
Old 02-17-18, 10:56 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Except you own the company. So, this is advertising. Is there not a trade section where you can promote your wares with your « informational » posts?

Also, the fold is considerably larger than, say, a Brompton or the forthcoming Helix, of which, for me anyway, the former is the benchmark for folding bikes.
You've already been advised to take it to the moderators, so quit clogging up this thread with your whining. Thor got popped for being a dealer promoting bikes he had for sale, Pinigis is a manufacturer discussing a future model we might have some thoughts and advice about. If he didn't do it in the Folding Bikes forum I would never know it existed.

Nobody thinks a fold-in-half frame is going to fold down to the size of a Brompton or Helix. If you want an electric Brompton, buy one. If you want an electric Helix..well, you can't even buy a non-electric one.
Old 02-17-18, 11:17 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

I really like the design with mid-drive, and 250W is a good power level for it. I had an aluminum folder with 1500W and it was WAY overpowered for a 20-inch-wheel folder.

I like the battery location: Low and near the motor for good weight balance, and easily removed. The latter is important for a folder because it's easier to lift into a car with the battery removed, plus I store and charge my batteries in an ammo case in the house.

$2399 is a fair price for a carbon mid-drive folder..you'll sell a bunch of them, Paul. Nice bike.
Old 02-17-18, 11:35 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I really like the design with mid-drive, and 250W is a good power level for it. I had an aluminum folder with 1500W and it was WAY overpowered for a 20-inch-wheel folder. .
The 250W motor is more boost than one may think. The boost rating is 1 to 5 and I have yet to get above 3. I have been riding mostly at the minimum boost level.
Old 02-17-18, 12:59 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
About 25 years ago I was an active member of several bicycle newsgroups. There was one member ( I recall from Toronto ) that would create drama every month or two like clockwork. Every once in a while I got involved in the drama and my sales skyrocketed. Eventually I realized that his actions were just a setup to increase sales. He perpetuated nonsense and then claimed to be a victim...sound familiar?

Fast forward to today, this thread is not legal according to the rules. It's worse when combined with all the other sales stuff Pingis posts. After being called out, Pingis always claims be the victim ( same as 25 years ago ).

I understand Thor's situation, he didn't break any rules. I contacted him and encouraged him to advertise on bikeforums, since it would benefit his business. However I understood if he felt like he was blackmailed into advertising. I advertised here, and hooked him up with the agent. I told her I would buy some ads in the summer. However, this is getting awkward.

#1 Thor did not break any rules, and he would welcome an investigation.
#2 Threads discussing the ban are deleted. ( This has not been explained )
#3 About 50% of Pingis's posts break the rules.
#4 Advertising does not change the rules. FYI this site runs on vBulletin which costs as little as $15/mo on a cloud platform. Additionally moderators are not paid. Adverting dollars go directly to the owners.

Until things get straight, I am unable to advertise here. I am not even interested in being a member anymore.

I am hopeful that rules are enforced equally for all members, and I would be glad to participate. However I think I will find somewhere else to hang until I hear things are "proper".

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 02-17-18, 02:05 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
You've already been advised to take it to the moderators, so quit clogging up this thread with your whining. Thor got popped for being a dealer promoting bikes he had for sale, Pinigis is a manufacturer discussing a future model we might have some thoughts and advice about. If he didn't do it in the Folding Bikes forum I would never know it existed.

Nobody thinks a fold-in-half frame is going to fold down to the size of a Brompton or Helix. If you want an electric Brompton, buy one. If you want an electric Helix..well, you can't even buy a non-electric one.
I realise the truth hurts, but there it is.

Take it to the moderators? No advice as far as I'm aware, and, anyway, I believe these things should be expressed openly not hidden in secret reporting.

You also don't seem to understand what the term 'benchmark' means. It is the standard to which others should aspire, nothing to do with buying or selling anything. You've also proved my point, by the way - you yourself said you would not have known about the model had the manufacturer not brought it up, as in advertised it, here. Hoist on your own petard, as we say .

Anyway, no further comment from me, as none necessary.
Old 02-17-18, 02:38 PM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by bargainguy
There is a process for reporting threads to a moderator if you believe it violates forum rules. For tcs and avole, I hope you did report it so you can get an answer back, and we can get on with this discussion if the mods see fit to let it stand.
There's your advice to report to moderators, avole. You clearly decided it was more interesting to keep whining on this thread.
Old 02-17-18, 02:55 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
The design changes during development of this bike are interesting.
And I welcome the opportunity to have my questions answered, &
suggestions heard. This is not just advertising.
FWIW, I vote to keep the thread.
Don't make this place less interesting.
Old 02-17-18, 03:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
My two cent suggestion is to mount the battery forward of the bottom bracket below the main tube, which may be raised slightly to accommodate the change. Odds are that there's enough room that the hinge can stay in the same place and folded size would be unaffected.

Wherever you decide to place the battery has to be better than the current place, which increases folded size, and takes valuable real estate that I, for one, would refer to use for carrying stuff.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-17-18, 06:17 PM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by FBinNY
My two cent suggestion is to mount the battery forward of the bottom bracket below the main tube, which may be raised slightly to accommodate the change. Odds are that there's enough room that the hinge can stay in the same place and folded size would be unaffected.

Wherever you decide to place the battery has to be better than the current place, which increases folded size, and takes valuable real estate that I, for one, would refer to use for carrying stuff.
I don't think suspending a battery from a long section of carbon near the hinge is safe. And this frame isn't set up for a rear rack anyway, so you're not going to be putting stuff there. The best plan - which someone else mentioned - is a KlikFlix mount at the headtube.
Old 02-17-18, 08:48 PM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Looks nice.
Old 02-17-18, 09:30 PM
gataddhin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This bike looks similar to Origami ebike.

The SAVA E8 or SAVADECK E8 ebikes are manufactured by Huizhou SAVA Bicycle Co. Ltd in China.
Old 02-18-18, 12:08 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gataddhin

This bike looks similar to Origami ebike.

The SAVA E8 or SAVADECK E8 ebikes are manufactured by Huizhou SAVA Bicycle Co. Ltd in China.
Currently available from a well-known online retailer at around the $2000 mark. Well specced, too.
Old 02-18-18, 01:11 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Seems identical down to various details, with a mounted lamp though. Discounted a bit at Alibaba with free shipping to US.
Old 02-18-18, 07:36 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by avole
Currently available from a well-known online retailer at around the $2000 mark. Well specced, too.
We partnered with SAVA for this one. We are still making tweaks to differentiate our version. Also, thier $2000 bike has a hub motor, their mid drive costs the same as ours. The difference is that we will provide support in the US
Old 02-18-18, 01:00 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
We partnered with SAVA for this one. We are still making tweaks to differentiate our version. Also, thier $2000 bike has a hub motor, their mid drive costs the same as ours. The difference is that we will provide support in the US
I do not want to be disrespectful but what does the term "we partnered" exactly mean? Did you develop the bike or relevant core aspects of it? Did you pay them for the development of the bike? Or is it a badge design that you bought from them with some possibilities for customization for the buyer? So is it a development of your own or a rebranded bike of them?
Old 02-18-18, 01:38 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
I do not want to be disrespectful but what does the term "we partnered" exactly mean? Did you develop the bike or relevant core aspects of it? Did you pay them for the development of the bike? Or is it a badge design that you bought from them with some possibilities for customization for the buyer? So is it a development of your own or a rebranded bike of them?
The development was by them, we are working together on modifications.
Old 02-20-18, 05:40 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
I give it a "10" on style-points. I quite like its looks...larger rubber and sporty demeanor. It's not a "me-too" look
(yet anyway)

The CF factor is NOT an attraction for me however...in fact quite the opposite.
In real world use...folding/unfolding, into and out of a car etc. I would consider it too brittle and prone to the type of damage
CF is more vulnerable to than alum.

Good luck I'm sure it will be a fine addition to a growing e-bike market.
Old 02-24-18, 03:16 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looks Nice Paul.
I'm not seeing the motor well. That is a concentric Motor w a Big BB hole or am I just interpreting the shadows wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.