Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bike Recommendations please

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 02:02 PM
clubmanager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,
Obviously a Newbie. I'm 55 and weigh 215 but am fairly fit; I lift and am on my feet a lot at work. I would like a bike for trips in the 20-30 mile range (75% on bike path/pavement) with a charity ride in September of nearly 40 miles. I have a Trek Gary Fisher mountain bike but my son has outgrown me (at 13 no less!) and needs a new bike so he'll get that one. Point is, I can still use it should I need something for offroad.
I've never been 'into' bikes so am pretty clueless; I'm looking at Gravel bikes as they seem to fit my needs well. Not sure if I would be comfortable on a drop bar bike for long distance but did try one on a Specialized Diverge the other day and liked it for the 2 miles I rode it. Or, do I get another Mtn. Bike and find some less-knobby tires, get an extra set of rims and tires and have both?
Budget is open but prefer not to spend more than $1500. In fact, I'd really like to buy used so nearly anything goes.

thanks a bunch!
Old 07-24-18, 03:28 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by clubmanager
Hi,
Obviously a Newbie. I'm 55 and weigh 215 but am fairly fit; I lift and am on my feet a lot at work. I would like a bike for trips in the 20-30 mile range (75% on bike path/pavement) with a charity ride in September of nearly 40 miles. I have a Trek Gary Fisher mountain bike but my son has outgrown me (at 13 no less!) and needs a new bike so he'll get that one. Point is, I can still use it should I need something for offroad.
I've never been 'into' bikes so am pretty clueless; I'm looking at Gravel bikes as they seem to fit my needs well. Not sure if I would be comfortable on a drop bar bike for long distance but did try one on a Specialized Diverge the other day and liked it for the 2 miles I rode it. Or, do I get another Mtn. Bike and find some less-knobby tires, get an extra set of rims and tires and have both?
Budget is open but prefer not to spend more than $1500.
In fact, I'd really like to buy used so nearly anything goes.

thanks a bunch!
Since you are looking for mostly pavement, a gravel bike should be fine for mostly pavement, and occassional off road adventures, as long as you don't get too carried away. Much better suited to the road than a modded mountain bike. At $1,500 budget, the world is your oyster. Frankly, that is more money than you need to spend even new. Just about every major brand a lot of minor brands carry some sort of gravel or light touring bike. So get yourself to your local bike shop and take a look.
Old 07-24-18, 04:51 PM
Knet

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Marakesh / 2006 HooKooEKoo / 2005 CoMotion Nor'wester / 1987 Trek 520 and 560EX (1 ea.)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like you could get pretty much what you want int he used bike market right now. Just gotta figure out exactly what it is you actually want.

Sounds like a gravel bike, or even a touring bike (LHT, 520 or Marakesh type new steel touring bike) would all work, but your not so big a that you couldn't look at some carbon bikes.

I would go to eBay and do some window shopping, just put in your size and cap the amount you want to spend (don't forget shipping) and see if anything pops up that really gets your attention. You'll prolly know it when you see it.
Old 07-24-18, 05:15 PM
clubmanager

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have to say, I'm diggin' those Niner RLT's and have found a couple interesting examples but the one I'm focused on is a nearly new 2018 2 Star and was used as a demo for $1500 delivered. Probably doesn't have 20 miles on it. Also, it would come with warranty as I'm the first owner. Also, there's a Specialized Sequoia Elite for sale in my town that was ridden once and the guy decided to go back to Mtn. Bikes. It's selling for $1500 and is essentially brand new.
Old 07-30-18, 04:50 AM
clubmanager

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Found a local Twin Six Rando and after a grueling week of work (truly), I’m going no out today on my first ride with it. Can’t wait, love the look of it and expect I’ll keep it for a very long time.