Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I love my bike, but.... :(

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 09:45 PM
dabigboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

.....after taking it off the rack last night after an awesome ride, I found this.

This is my 2014 Redline D860. Some of you might recall over a year ago I posted about my old Talus 3.0 and possibly upgrading to a Redline a buddy of mine was selling. Long story short, I got serious about MTB last fall, started hitting the trail 2 to 4 times a week, re-vamped my eating habits, went from 230lbs to 177lbs, doing about 11 miles a ride now, and this spring my wife snuck behind my back and went ahead and bought the Redline from my buddy. I have been having an absolute BLAST with this rig! It fits me perfectly, rides great, the handling is awesome, and I've enjoyed having some decent quality components for a change. So, I was super bummed when I found this crack. My buddy is searching for his purchase info for warranty purposes, but no joy so far. I emailed Redline tonight, so we'll see what they say, but for now I'm back to the clunky old Talus.

Being aluminum, I'm assuming there's no point in even considering a repair to this frame. I'm having trouble finding a replacement frame, which I suppose makes sense with these bikes only being produced for a short time.

Is this a strange place for the frame to crack? I have a hard time believing I just wore it out....I'm still kinda a newbie, so my jumps are very small, and I mostly ride Draper in OKC, which is not terribly rough. Plus I'm 50lbs lighter than when I started with the old Talus, which is still holding together! As far as I can tell, the crack was undetectable until this last ride, I do thorough visual inspections before each ride (plus it didn't make creaking/popping sounds until now).

Last night was one of my best rides yet....I've been able to ride regularly for a while, so I'm feeling pretty fit, and I'm gaining more skills and confidence (and speed!).

Matt
Old 07-25-18, 10:34 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts

I've only ever cracked one frame and I did it in the same spot, diamondback sortie 29er. Pretty sure mine came from a bad landing on a jump. I just ended up buying a On-One Parkwood 29er hardtail frame for really cheap new and transferred everything over to that. No warranty because I bought the bike used.
Old 07-26-18, 09:10 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
That Redline D860 looks like a good bike. With 100mm suspension and 29in wheels, I'd call it a Cross Country bike, trail bike, not really meant for jumping.
Maybe look for another frame or bike and transfer components?
Old 07-26-18, 09:03 PM
dabigboy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, it was billed as a cross-country rig. I figured the very light jumping/dropping I do would not be a problem, but maybe it is. That crack looks uncannily like mine, maybe I really did just overdo it.

As it happens, a buddy of mine grabbed a slo-mo of me jumping just a few days ago:
That's about the most extreme jumping I do. Does that seem like too much of a hit for an XC bike? Even if I go around the jumps, there are places on the trail at Draper where you pretty much have to take at least a little drop (unless you walk it, of course). If only jumping weren't so dang fun!!!!

If I were to purchase a more jump-oriented ride, what would I be looking for? A downhill-oriented FS with at least 140mm on the front?

Matt
Old 07-26-18, 10:55 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
It looks like you may have just done the same thing I did when I cracked mine. You landed hard and probably needed more air in your fork and/or to land smoother. My bike had 120mm fork on it but that doesn't help much when the air pressure is too low, I was playing with pressures, and you make the bike's frame take most of the hit rather than the suspension and your legs. I had hit the frame cracking jump 100 times before with no problems and I kept hitting that jump on the hardtail replacement frame with the same 120mm fork for another 6 months before I bought a new full squish bike with 140mm of travel. I also ride with guys that hit it with 100mm bikes with no problem.

What I'd do and I did is just buy a cheap hardtail frame that all my stuff would fit and wait till a good deal on a the full squish bike I want pops up, I got really lucky there.
Old 07-27-18, 09:18 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
hey another draper rider
Old 07-28-18, 03:06 PM
badangel

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is nothing bro. Dont worry!