Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike ethics

Old 07-29-18, 11:42 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
Bike ethics

As a bike hobbiest, I often flip bikes to maintain my keepers. I take trades and also receive freebies. I took some bikes from a guy in a hoarder type situation that I usually wouldn't, but it helped him get going on moving a lot of other stuff. One bike, a Magna 15 speed, I posted for free in a local app. Everything worked on this bike, but the canti brakes were pretty useless. I let people know this and the first responder wanted the bike for his grandson. He told me the brakes wouldn't be an issue but I didn't get the feeling he would do anything about it. With that in mind, I pulled the ad and texted him the bike was gone. Ended up replacing with an Exage brake set I had, but still feel like I pulled this guy's chain. Did I act reasonably or do you feel I screwed this guy?
Old 07-29-18, 12:19 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
"Never make a promise you can't keep." Or in this case, a deal.
Old 07-29-18, 12:30 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Considering the quality of the bike, you "did him a kindness" as far as I'm concerned.

WalMart or whoever sold the bike originally should have never sold a new bike with brakes like that in the first place. I doubt the brakes worked any better the day the bike was sold. Besides, if you sold that bike and someone's kid gets hit by a bus because the brakes failed . . . I personally worry about stuff like that, unlike WalMart.

You were trying to CYA, nothing wrong with that, especially if you want to be able to sleep at night, and have anything at all to lose if sued.
Old 07-29-18, 01:41 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,833 Times in 3,141 Posts
Good ethics case with an interesting subsidiary question about our estimates of others' competence and conscientiousness and how they should affect our actions. No question in my mind you did the right thing on balance.
Old 07-29-18, 02:13 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Sounds like you were making an ethical judgement based on the information you had. The alternative was just just gave the guy the bike and said "not my problem" if he doesn't have it fixed before letting his grandson ride it. Or, I guess you could have very specifically asked him if he was going to have it fixed pulled back if the guy was ambiguous in his answer. But that could have resulted in a a potentially difficult situation. From what you've said, I think on balance, you did the right thing.

As an aside, perhaps a way to avoid that kind of thing in the future is not offer a bike that has a safety issue with it on an app where a stranger may accept the offer. That would 'cut off at the pass' the potential for an ethical conflict.
Old 07-29-18, 02:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,345 Posts
So, what are you going to do with the new and improved Magna?

I find it exceptionally rude to have Craigslist sellers make a deal, then sell the item out from under oneself. I've had that happen a couple of times when I was actually on the road heading to the meet spot.

In this case you didn't even sell it, you simply lied to the person, and now have a bike you don't want.
Old 07-29-18, 03:23 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I think you handled it ok. It would better if you told him that you felt uncomfortable about the brake issue and were going to fix it, but then you would be charging a small fee.

Anyway, probably moot because I'd bet that had you given him the bike, it would turn back up on CL within weeks.
Old 07-29-18, 03:45 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Yes, didn't get to him coming by, but I've set up for free bikes before and was told a neighbor picked it up. Think that's what bothered me on that end. Good question on what to do with it now that it's road worthy. I'll let it sit for now and see if anyone has a need. Bike...
Old 07-29-18, 03:51 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Usually any bike i've sold has been rideable. I've had a few that needed a chain (rusty) or had tires that were past their 'shelf life' but i make sure the brakes and what gears it has are functional. Usually with a >$50 bike, I don't tune it to climb and descend the Pyrenees, but enough so it goes down the road with no drama, and stops when i expect it to stop.

If you didn't feel right letting the bike go in that condition, I wouldn't feel bad about pulling the sale.
Old 08-08-18, 09:45 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Ethically, as long as you disclosed any known significant defects, you are in the clear whether you sell the bike or give it away.

Morally, if you believe that giving the bike away would put a child at risk, you are fine in deciding to keep or repair the bike.
Old 08-08-18, 03:23 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Ethically, as long as you disclosed any known significant defects, you are in the clear whether you sell the bike or give it away.

Morally, if you believe that giving the bike away would put a child at risk, you are fine in deciding to keep or repair the bike.
Is a car dealer that sell someone a car responsible if you decide to use that car to rob a bank? Or for the damage you cause in an accident? What you imply is true for a minor or someone incapable of making mature decisions.

The worse possible person is someone that make a deal and then reneges on it. The only exception would some unforeseen circumstances/hazards to society or legal restrictions.
Old 08-08-18, 04:27 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You should have asked him. Why he felt the brakes wouldn't be a problem. Because he may have known how to fix/replace the brakes. Because, The bike was going to be for his grandson.
Old 08-08-18, 04:53 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Useless because they were canti brakes or useless because they were broken? People stopped just fine or fine enough before all the new fangled technology. I also knew a lot of kids as teens who didn't have brakes or intentionally removed brakes (idk why). You'd stop with your foot on top of the back tire. Dan Dan the motorcycle man didn't have brakes and would bunny hop over 4 of us. Some fixies don't have actual brakes but you can lock up the rear wheel. You could have spoken more honestly with him and found out why its no big deal. A friend in the process of buying a house according to the lawyer until money changes hands no one is obligated to stick to any verbal or even signed contracts.
Old 08-08-18, 08:34 PM
curbtender

Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
Useless because they were canti brakes or useless because they were broken? People stopped just fine or fine enough before all the new fangled technology. I also knew a lot of kids as teens who didn't have brakes or intentionally removed brakes (idk why). You'd stop with your foot on top of the back tire. Dan Dan the motorcycle man didn't have brakes and would bunny hop over 4 of us. Some fixies don't have actual brakes but you can lock up the rear wheel. You could have spoken more honestly with him and found out why its no big deal. A friend in the process of buying a house according to the lawyer until money changes hands no one is obligated to stick to any verbal or even signed contracts.
Ha, I guess I could have thrown in a pair of 12 shoes to jam between the frame and tire. They seemed to lack leverage to stop. Design, pot metal, pads? Just know they didn't stop in a safe manner. I get kids coming by for air and the handlebars are loose, front wheels not tight, crank arms about to fall out. Guess you need the foresight to why it could be a problem. Hell, we rolled down grass hills in 55 gal drums and thought nothing of it until one guy went off an embankment and landed in front of a car.
Old 08-09-18, 07:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith

Brilliant! This makes for a great example to use to explain the difference between ethics and morals.

BTW...I think it was wise not to give the bike away with sub-par brakes in this case.
Old 08-09-18, 12:37 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Bike with bad brakes should not have been listed as rideable in the first place. If you made it clear in the ad that it was parts-only because it needed repair to the brakes, go for it.

If it didn't cost you anything, or much, to fix up the bike, maybe contact the buyer and give it to him, all fixed up, if it would assuage your conscience. Small price to pay for peace of mind.
Old 08-09-18, 02:01 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Sold as 'for parts' because "brakes are fkd, mate" is perfectly suitable.

If i sell someone a mains radio and they drop it in the bath and die, it's not my fault. Too many snowflakes in this world being all emo about things that frankly just equates to people being controlled, and restricted from learning. When i was 4yo my bike didn't even have brakes.