Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Air filter face mask

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Air filter face mask

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 01:50 PM
there

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Air filter face mask

Does anyone have recommendations for air filter masks?

Background: I'm going to living and commuting in the city. I find it bad enough to walk near traffic, let alone be trailing buses every day.

Ideas: I'm thinking along the lines of a face mask such as this (https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Acti...dp/B01MAY6HCJ/). Not thinking of going so far as a respirator. If face mask is the solution, then I'm thinking along the lines of a 100% cotton outer with activate charcoal inner.
Old 08-08-18, 01:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Any of the masks from Respro (like the Techno or Sportsta) would suit your needs-- they are generally well reviewed, come in multiple sizes (thank god for no "one size fits most") and are readily available on Amazon, including replacement filters.

It's really quite smoky outside right now from the local forest fires, and I should probably have worn a mask for today's ride. I've got that "heavy" feeling in my chest like I spent the whole day in a pool.
Old 08-08-18, 02:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Urban, Diesel bus exhaust particulates, , or smoke from all the wildfires , now?

Seems London England has need of those, I'm OK here, by the seashore..
Old 08-08-18, 04:21 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by there
Does anyone have recommendations for air filter masks?

Background: I'm going to living and commuting in the city. I find it bad enough to walk near traffic, let alone be trailing buses every day.

Ideas: I'm thinking along the lines of a face mask such as this (https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Acti...dp/B01MAY6HCJ/). Not thinking of going so far as a respirator. If face mask is the solution, then I'm thinking along the lines of a 100% cotton outer with activate charcoal inner.
Either the type of mask used in hospital ORs', or the type of mask used on occasion by people in lawn care. Those are two that immediately come to mind.
Old 08-08-18, 04:35 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd get one with fangs or a red star.
Old 08-08-18, 08:41 PM
there

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by onyerleft
When it's smoky from fires, I wear an N95 certified mask. Pro tip: wear the surgical kind of mask (the kind that doesn't protrude off your face) underneath an N95 mask. It provides a better seal, which is especially important if you have a beard.
Thanks. I do happen to have one of those (beard, that is).
Old 08-08-18, 08:41 PM
there

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
I'd get one with fangs or a red star.
Old 08-09-18, 02:49 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
The mask linked from Amazon would be useless for the purpose. Even the Respro masks are probably more psychological benefit than actual. Those dual canister gas mask things that painters use ... now your're talking. I've worn one in traffic. Once. Even so, the hit to my street cred will remain for the rest of my life. I will NEVER live it down. The good news is there is so much awful stuff in our water and food, that we are all going to die prematurely, no matter what we may (try to) do about breathing in car exhaust. Yay.
Old 08-09-18, 06:15 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
N95 filters remove 95% of particles down to .3 microns and the bulk of what one worries about healthwise is in the 2.5 micron range, so good on the particulate front. The other big health risk is gases: ozone and NOx, which require activated charcoal and that mask doesn’t seem to have it.
Old 08-09-18, 06:43 PM
there

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The mask linked from Amazon would be useless for the purpose. Even the Respro masks are probably more psychological benefit than actual. Those dual canister gas mask things that painters use ... now your're talking. I've worn one in traffic. Once. Even so, the hit to my street cred will remain for the rest of my life. I will NEVER live it down. The good news is there is so much awful stuff in our water and food, that we are all going to die prematurely, no matter what we may (try to) do about breathing in car exhaust. Yay.

You can always blame it on crash protection. Hey, just like a helmet. If your street cred is okay with helmets, then just say the mask is to protect your face in the case of a nose dive into the concrete! (For that matter, I'm actually considering a leather jacket and long pants as mandatory for all of my upcoming rides. But that's another thread. Can someone point me in the direction of the full body-armor thread?)

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
N95 filters remove 95% of particles down to .3 microns and the bulk of what one worries about healthwise is in the 2.5 micron range, so good on the particulate front. The other big health risk is gases: ozone and NOx, which require activated charcoal and that mask doesn’t seem to have it.
Very interesting. Good info, I think you've got me sold!
Old 08-09-18, 08:19 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
The good news is there is so much awful stuff in our water and food, that we are all going to die prematurely, no matter what we may (try to) do about breathing in car exhaust. Yay.
The life expectancy of an affluent American man is about 88 years, the longest it has been in history.
Old 08-09-18, 08:49 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha

The life expectancy of an affluent American man is about 88 years, the longest it has been in history.
The bad news is how few affluent people there are now, and how much larger the gap between them and everyone else has grown with the collapse of the middle class.

Hence
https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/21/healt...udy/index.html
Old 08-10-18, 06:09 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Political posts not allowed?
Old 08-10-18, 10:14 PM
Leisesturm

You can do better than that ...
Old 08-11-18, 06:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-37906246
pollution masks.. newest designs use tech to analyze what they are filtering out.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-11-18 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 05:22 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
The best thing you can do for your health is not to commute in the city by bike. The wrong mask or an appropriate mask without a proper fitting is a waste of time and money. I work in a lab and we do not permit scientists to wear masks without extensive training and fitting.
Old 08-16-18, 11:45 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
The best thing you can do for your health is not to commute in the city by bike. The wrong mask or an appropriate mask without a proper fitting is a waste of time and money. I work in a lab and we do not permit scientists to wear masks without extensive training and fitting.
Lack of exercise is the biggest killer of Americans by far. Commuting regularly by bike in the city is hands down the best thing you can do for just about everything that matters, including your health. Any risk to health that is involved in biking is not eliminated by avoiding the bicycle, you still breathe anyway, you still cross intersections anyway. Not living or working in a large city is another thing entirely. But if you work in the city, you may as well live in the city, and if you live in the city and you are not biking regularly in the city then you are contributing to the overall decline in the environment as well as your own overall decline, unless you commute exclusively via mass transit, then its just on you.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 08-16-18 at 12:27 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-17-18, 09:27 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Lack of exercise is the biggest killer of Americans by far. Commuting regularly by bike in the city is hands down the best thing you can do for just about everything that matters, including your health. Any risk to health that is involved in biking is not eliminated by avoiding the bicycle, you still breathe anyway, you still cross intersections anyway. Not living or working in a large city is another thing entirely. But if you work in the city, you may as well live in the city, and if you live in the city and you are not biking regularly in the city then you are contributing to the overall decline in the environment as well as your own overall decline, unless you commute exclusively via mass transit, then its just on you.
I agree completely but the OP seems more worried about filter masks and plastic helmets.
Old 08-23-18, 11:59 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
This may be of interest it is focuses on fire smoke, but it notes that common masks don't reall protect you need the n95 level.....I suspect that this would apply to general dirt in the air also

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Doc...bs/334-353.pdf

Old 08-23-18, 11:04 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Fire smoke yes, bus particulate no. All that was cleaned up years ago. Its nothing like it was back in the day when every breath was a lung full of soot.