Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Today's obstacles

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Today's obstacles

Old 08-10-18, 02:06 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Today's obstacles

Every ride involves waiting for something, and it's usually cars or traffic lights. But today's ride to work was different. For years I've been pulling up to empty intersections and having to wait for the one vehicle in motion that's in sight to pass so I can continue, and today's ride was no exception. What was unique about it though was the first obstacle was a guy I'd seen salmoning in my neighborhood before. Except this morning, he was riding on the right side of the street. That was a nice surprise, even if it would have been nicer if the traffic that consisted of two bicycles could have passed without one of us having to come to a complete stop before I even got to the street. A couple of blocks after that it was some guy studiously avoiding the smooth level and unoccupied sidewalks on either side of the street by walking in the street - right at me. I wonder what the ride home will be like?
Old 08-10-18, 04:00 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Every ride involves waiting for something, and it's usually cars or traffic lights. But today's ride to work was different. For years I've been pulling up to empty intersections and having to wait for the one vehicle in motion that's in sight to pass so I can continue, and today's ride was no exception. What was unique about it though was the first obstacle was a guy I'd seen salmoning in my neighborhood before. Except this morning, he was riding on the right side of the street. That was a nice surprise, even if it would have been nicer if the traffic that consisted of two bicycles could have passed without one of us having to come to a complete stop before I even got to the street. A couple of blocks after that it was some guy studiously avoiding the smooth level and unoccupied sidewalks on either side of the street by walking in the street - right at me. I wonder what the ride home will be like?
Perhaps you set a good example for the former salmon.

For your ride home I predict three "nice-holes", and if it is after dark, ninja-salmons.
Old 08-10-18, 04:20 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The former salmon had even upgraded his bike too, something inspired him.
Old 08-12-18, 08:07 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Sufficient unto the day are the trials thereof
Old 08-12-18, 08:40 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I hate salmon riders. I make it a point to pass them on the side opposite of the traffic to see how they like being pushed into the traffic lane. I have had to stop a couple of times and wait for them to get on the sidewalk because I will not go into traffic just because they are going the wrong direction.