Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton 6 speed question-odd noise.

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 08-10-18, 09:42 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts

I have a new S6L with approximately 150 mi. on it. The middle gears, 3&4 (2+’ 2-) make an odd, loud clicking sound when Im coasting or back-pedaling from the SA hub. My wifes’ M6L, also with similar mileage does NOT make this same sound.

I am supposed to have a post delivery free service done on these within 90 days of delivery, and before I do that I’m curious if anyone else has experienced a noise like this. (Id like to be armed with some knowledge re this before heading back to the semi-LBS shop we got these from)

Anyone?
Old 08-11-18, 07:13 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I have never had a SA 3 speed hub that didn't have a clicking sound in it when back pedaling or even coasting. The only time they do not have this is when the have had fresh oil added to the hub. Bought my first one of these in 1963. Roger
Old 08-11-18, 01:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
in 3rd you over drive the pawls that engage the hubshell when in 1st..
Old 08-12-18, 05:50 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks for the input...I found the locking ring for the gear indicator chain had loosened up, and caused the chain to fall sightly out of adjustment. Tightening up the chain and (hopefully) snugging up that ring seems to remedy the noise....which was secondary to the normal ratcheting sound of coasting or backpedaling.

This same lock ring was found loose, by me on my wifes M6L the day we brought them home. I dont suppose I can outwardly blame the shop who provided us the bikes, but by the same token they made such a big stink out of wanting to “check them and adjust them” prior to us picking them up that with this being 2 for 2 they could either spend more time or not be so adamant about the PDI they claim to do.

Alls well that ends well, I’ll make those chain connectors an attention-point along with tire pressure, etc. from here on out.