Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Price evaluation on this Bike Friday PR

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 07:18 PM
Riooir

Bikes: BF PR, Tern link D8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I met the owner once, and this bike was almost 7~8 years old.
I rode it and seems like fine, maybe too light to the unpaved roads, which made it somehow hard to control.
I don't know too much about each part or upgrade and customized further, I am a totally newbie of BF.
here are some data of the bike I'm going to make the deal, is the price fare based on all the parts and components?

Bike Friday Pocket Rocket folding road bike, blue, 52cm.
Chromoly frame - handmade in Eugene, Oregon
3 bottle braze ons
Front and rear rack braze ons
Full Shimano 105 groupset
Salsa pro road bars
Chris King headset
Schwalbe Stelvio tires
New Charge saddle

My situation:
Want to get a not entry-level folding bike asap(time matters, and no patience and money for a brand new bike)
This bike is the only locally one that I can get near my area within 100 miles.
I mainly used the bike for fitness and exercise after work, like 10~20 miles per day before winter comes(that's why time matters first for me), and partially for groceries(I know it's wired to get a road sports bike in this way) , and riding around town 90% of time, maybe carry it when I do camping and air flight traveling, maybe go abroad.
My ideal bike is NTW, but costs more time and money.
One thing I thought that was not an option before was when I met a dealer with a narrow tire in his PR, and he told me I would be very hard to find a right size to fit in the tires if I want to upgrade, but this bike on the post is 20 in size of tire, so it might be fine?? I don't know, just think it seems like the same size as normal NWT.
Thanks every experts in advance!
Old 08-19-18, 01:48 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
If you want a BF as your dream folder AND you do not go off the beaten track then a pocket rocket may be a good choice. I am no expert in BFs but there's two things about the PR wheels that you should be aware of:

- the PR has 20" wheels but the size is the less common ETRO 451, not the common ETRO 406. The 451 wheels are slightly bigger (so a good choice for a roadie) but in most cases you'll have to order them - most bike shops do not have them in their backroom. Having spare tubes and a spare tire with you may thus be a good idea.

- the PR has caliper brakes which means the max width of the tires is somewhat limited. This plays perfectly with the 451size - I'd assume wider tires are not available for that size anyway. And - if I am correct - the tires in that size are mainly road oriented, which means: narrower, faster, less puncture protection, less profile. But I may be wrong - just check what's available.

If you can live with that and like the bike and the riding, the bike fits you and the price is right - why not? If it turns out not to be the perfect choice it should be easy to resell w/o loss if you do not pay too much. Be aware that for air travelling you have to take the BF apart - not too hard but something to be aware of. Plus for air travel it makes total sense to use the BF trailer thingy with the suitcase which would add on cost if it is not part of the deal now.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 08-19-18 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 01:50 AM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by Riooir
here are some data of the bike I'm going to make the deal, is the price fare based on all the parts and components?
Hard to tell as you neither mentioned the age of the bike nor the condition nor the asking price...
Old 08-19-18, 10:13 AM
Riooir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
Hard to tell as you neither mentioned the age of the bike nor the condition nor the asking price...
Hi, the bike is nearly 7~8 years old, and I want to upload some pics but it wouldn't let me because i'm too few posts.
He asks $700.
Old 08-19-18, 10:49 AM
berlinonaut

Here in Germany the price for this bike would be a bargain - Bike Fridays are massively expensive here and very rare. I paid more than that for a late 90ies Pocket Llama recently (including rack, fenders and the travel system)...

According to the BF website the PR starts at 1575$ in the US. So less than half the original base(!) price sounds totally ok to me for the age, but others will be more competent regarding prices in the US. There is btw. a preloved NWT in 52cm on BF's webpage at the moment. But it costs more than double of the PR that you are looking at.
Old 08-19-18, 11:21 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Bike Fridays regularly show up on Craigslist around here, for varying prices.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/search...ry=bike+friday

That Pocket Tourist in Cottage Grove would be a screaming deal if it is still for sale.

The Pocket Rocket you found is a pretty good deal, especially with a 105 groupset (10 speed?).

Some will depend on the accessories included such as a trailer and suitcase.
Old 08-19-18, 12:05 PM
Riooir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Bike Fridays regularly show up on Craigslist around here, for varying prices.

That Pocket Tourist in Cottage Grove would be a screaming deal if it is still for sale.

The Pocket Rocket you found is a pretty good deal, especially with a 105 groupset (10 speed?).

Some will depend on the accessories included such as a trailer and suitcase.
It's 27 speed, I live in the Midwest, which makes it so rare and hard to find one.
And nothing will accompany, just for the bare bike, maybe I need to find a set of saddle and peddle.
Old 08-19-18, 12:13 PM
Riooir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
Here in Germany the price for this bike would be a bargain - Bike Fridays are massively expensive here and very rare. I paid more than that for a late 90ies Pocket Llama recently (including rack, fenders and the travel system)...

According to the BF website the PR starts at 1575$ in the US. So less than half the original base(!) price sounds totally ok to me for the age, but others will be more competent regarding prices in the US. There is btw. a preloved NWT in 52cm on BF's webpage at the moment. But it costs more than double of the PR that you are looking at.
yeah, I just hate that some parts not come with the original brand, like the tires, saddle and no racks, no monitor and basically just bare bike. I just consider if I add some parts like travel system or upgrade, it would be as same as the pre-owned bikes on the website.
And second is that my ideal model is NTW, though I can't find one even I've flighted to Boston, Chicago and so on. Plus brand new + time waiting is a big issue to me.
All the things mix up a hard decision to me, without any choice, after seeing you guys suggestion, I just relief and ready to take it this evening.
Maybe I'll enjoy the customize work later, but right now I can't imagine how complex and time-consuming it will be.
Old 08-19-18, 03:32 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
There's a BF expedition ( a lot like NWT) on the BF facebook community page for $600. If you're interested, you can either join the page or send me your email to send on to the original seller (who is in MD but will ship). Comes with saddle, pedals, thudbuster, and rack, too. Does not have the folding seatmast. It's QR. Makes the bike lighter weight.
"$600Selling BF expedition for $600.00. Custom ordered high pedals for off rode riding." <<from seller
Old 08-20-18, 07:03 AM
Riooir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
There's a BF expedition ( a lot like NWT) on the BF facebook community page for $600. If you're interested, you can either join the page or send me your email to send on to the original seller (who is in MD but will ship). Comes with saddle, pedals, thudbuster, and rack, too. Does not have the folding seatmast. It's QR. Makes the bike lighter weight.
"$600Selling BF expedition for $600.00. Custom ordered high pedals for off rode riding." <<from seller
I've made the decision, and had that PR ready.Thank you for the introduction.