Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New road bike, feeling like it was a mistake

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-19-18, 11:40 AM
Vq30de

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello everyone, I’ve been reading this forum for quite a while now, and finally joined to make this post. So I’ve been riding the hell out of a $250 diamondback hybrid this summer - 30-40 miles at a time and almost 1000 miles so far. Dropped a bunch of weight, currently at 320lbs. Really wanted a road bike, and went to my local bike shop to try things out. Fell in love with a Specialized Roubaix Comp, they offered me a killer deal (list was $3400, they offered it to me for $2800). It’s a massive step up obviously, but I’m having serious buyers remorse mostly due to the fact I so greatly exceed the max weight of 250lbs. The shop I bought it from is quite large and reputable and the owner assured me I would have no problems. Having ridden it a few times, it feels incredible, but it’s making a weird clunking noise which I kind of think is just the rear derailleur. I’m going in tomorrow for a fitting and to have them look for the source of the noise
So I’m curious, can anyone provide some insight based on first hand experience into whether or not this bike will hold up? Or did I make a mistake? The only saving grace I see is that the season is winding down and by next spring I’m hoping to weigh 280ish. Also, I live in the middle of nowhere in Western NY and only ride long, straight, smooth, flat roads, so it’s not like I’m riding crappy roads with cracks and holes.
thanks!

edit: Also, any suggestions on a possible replacement rear wheel? I assume that’s where I’ll have an issue. I have no problem paying for quality...

Last edited by Vq30de; 08-19-18 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 11:50 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Vq30de
Having ridden it a few times, it feels incredible, but it’s making a weird clunking noise which I kind of think is just the rear derailleur. I’m going in tomorrow for a fitting and to have them look for the source of the noise
Then you made the right choice

Could be that the wheels just need retensioning, I just got a new wheelset and it needed some spokes tightened up after a few rides, plus the rear bearing adjusted.
Old 08-19-18, 12:15 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hello everyone, I’ve been reading this forum for quite a while now, and finally joined to make this post. So I’ve been riding the hell out of a $250 diamondback hybrid this summer - 30-40 miles at a time and almost 1000 miles so far. Dropped a bunch of weight, currently at 320lbs. Really wanted a road bike, and went to my local bike shop to try things out. Fell in love with a Specialized Roubaix Comp, they offered me a killer deal (list was $3400, they offered it to me for $2800). It’s a massive step up obviously, but I’m having serious buyers remorse mostly due to the fact I so greatly exceed the max weight of 250lbs. The shop I bought it from is quite large and reputable and the owner assured me I would have no problems. Having ridden it a few times, it feels incredible, but it’s making a weird clunking noise which I kind of think is just the rear derailleur. I’m going in tomorrow for a fitting and to have them look for the source of the noise
So I’m curious, can anyone provide some insight based on first hand experience into whether or not this bike will hold up? Or did I make a mistake? The only saving grace I see is that the season is winding down and by next spring I’m hoping to weigh 280ish. Also, I live in the middle of nowhere in Western NY and only ride long, straight, smooth, flat roads, so it’s not like I’m riding crappy roads with cracks and holes.
thanks!

edit: Also, any suggestions on a possible replacement rear wheel? I assume that’s where I’ll have an issue. I have no problem paying for quality...
Is it noise when you shift? Only in certain gears? Only when in the big chain ring and large gear, or small chain ring and small gear?

I ride a Diverge which is in between a Roubaix and a cyclocross. I started riding it at about 300 lbs and never had a problem. The Roubaix is a tank.
Old 08-19-18, 12:24 PM
Vq30de

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the responses!

noise is under load only, across all gears. Sounds like it’s trying to shift.
Old 08-19-18, 12:28 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My first CF bike had a bottom bracket that would make a "clunking" but only sound under load. LBS fixed me right up, but I did ultimately buy the tool, and was glad to have it when the sound came back a couple of times over the years.

Definitely bring it back to the dealer and have them look at it while it's new enough that they might work on it for free.
Old 08-19-18, 03:37 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts

If it is gears, then look up derailleur adjustment on YouTube and have a go at it. It is really easy and something that all riders should really become familiar with. You can’t destroy your bike by doing it. Otherwise get the shop mech to show you when you take the bike in next. Back when I got back into riding bikes my LBS mech showed me how to adjust the rear. I learned the front on my own
Old 08-19-18, 03:45 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Most likely the derailleur is slightly out of alignment. If that is so, it'll be fixed in seconds, ask them to show you for future reference.
Old 08-19-18, 03:47 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Keep going.
If you have wheel issues, make them warranty them, or build you a proper set with 36h hubs and high cross section rims that can take the weight.

BTW the weights are just "lawyer weights" so you would have a harder time suing them.

But if they sold you the bike and they won't honor the warranty, knowing how much you weight, that is breach of contract. Get your money back now, charge back if you must, go to your local news station with the story if you must. They often have a help line for consumers.

No business wants that kind of exposure, but they deserve if they won't make it right.
Old 08-19-18, 06:15 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If you have issues, it's likely to be with the wheels... pay attention to them and probably bring the bike in to get the wheels retensioned after a couple hundred miles (200). If you wreck the wheel and need to buy a new wheelset, it's not the end of the world, just look for hand built wheels with a higher spoke count. 36 ought to be just about bullet proof these days.
Old 08-20-18, 03:18 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
24 spoke wheels is asking for trouble. I'd say you have two paths:
* Ask the shop to have their best wheelsmith ensure the spokes are properly tensioned; ride 'em until spokes start breaking, then buy a replacement wheelset with 32-36 spokes in the rear, and 28-32 spokes in the front.
* Buy those replacement wheels now, while you can still sell the stock wheels as takeoffs.
Depends whether your approach to risk. Maybe the 24-spoke wheels will actually be ok, and strategy one will pay off.
Fortunately, the 'risk' doesn't involve danger. It's not like a wheel is going to suddenly assplode while you're going 35mph down a hill. Spokes pop only one at a time. A first one might be a fluke, but if a second one goes, then probably all the spokes have been repeatedly flexed too many times and have gotten brittle.
Old 08-20-18, 04:36 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickR400
Most likely the derailleur is slightly out of alignment. If that is so, it'll be fixed in seconds, ask them to show you for future reference.
This would be my guess. It happens sometimes that a new bike is sent out the door without things being completely dialed in in this regard. Actually, that was the case with the Diverge I bought a couple of months ago. Even though it's an easy fix i brought it back in because I was riding nearby anyway.

It literally will take them seconds to do the adjustment if this is what is going on.
Old 08-20-18, 05:54 PM
Vq30de

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really appreciate all of he input, it’s inpressive how active this forum is!

Thunking was pedals, so I bought good platforms (going clipless in the spring) and that took care of it. Creaking was the seatpost, so after they fitted it they cut it down and that took care of that. So no more funny noises and it’s more comfortable.

im pretty comfortable with basic maintenance, but pretty lazy (if I’m honest)

one interesting thing of note - I called my insurance company to see if it would be covered under my homeowners in the event of a loss (theft). They advised that I have the option to schedule it on my policy for $200/yr, and it’ll cover any loss, not just theft, with no deductible. I specifically asked about folding a wheel in half hitting a pot hole, and they said yes that would be covered. So even if I do (catastrophically) break a wheel it looks like I’ll be in good shape. Thought I’d pass this along in case anyone here wants to do the same

so I don’t quite feel as bad about my purchase. Wife and kids are going away this weekend so I’ll get some major miles on it!

Last edited by Vq30de; 08-20-18 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 06:06 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Just keep supporting your LBS. One can't buy a bike without honest advice. 24 spoke wheel the manufacturer limited to 250 lb (this limit includes the rider, bike and accessories!!!!) should be fine for a 320 lb person.
/sarcasm

As others mentioned, look for a quality 32 or even 36 spoke wheel that is well built with double-butted spokes. If possible don't use that LBS, don't reward them for lying to you to make a sale. Plenty of online shops building good wheels.
If you built it yourself and don't need bling, $130 should get you a good Shimano/DT Swiss wheel in material cost.
Old 08-20-18, 06:10 PM
Vq30de

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I have issues I’ll get an aileron disc wheel set from velocity. But I am doubting that’ll be necessary. I have like a couple months left of riding. By spring I’ll be close to the limit. The shop I bought it from is a top specialized dealer, is highly regarded in my area, and the owner spent a great deal of time with me. So I have much confidence. I was mostly concerned with breaking something more substantial like the frame. Buying new wheels isn’t a big deal

Last edited by Vq30de; 08-20-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 06:53 PM
Vq30de

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
24 spoke wheels is asking for trouble. I'd say you have two paths:
* Ask the shop to have their best wheelsmith ensure the spokes are properly tensioned; ride 'em until spokes start breaking, then buy a replacement wheelset with 32-36 spokes in the rear, and 28-32 spokes in the front.
* Buy those replacement wheels now, while you can still sell the stock wheels as takeoffs.
Depends whether your approach to risk. Maybe the 24-spoke wheels will actually be ok, and strategy one will pay off.
Fortunately, the 'risk' doesn't involve danger. It's not like a wheel is going to suddenly assplode while you're going 35mph down a hill. Spokes pop only one at a time. A first one might be a fluke, but if a second one goes, then probably all the spokes have been repeatedly flexed too many times and have gotten brittle.
great logic, I appreciate it. It’s helpful to know a failure isn’t likely to be catastrophic. I think that in my situation I’ll ride on the 24s and see what happens. If it doesn’t work out, then it’s a simple upgrade...
Old 08-20-18, 08:13 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts

great logic, I appreciate it. It’s helpful to know a failure isn’t likely to be catastrophic. I think that in my situation I’ll ride on the 24s and see what happens. If it doesn’t work out, then it’s a simple upgrade...

I recommend to make sure they are reasonably true and all spokes equally tensioned. Another problem with low-spoke count wheels is one broken spoke can get the entire wheel so out of true that you can't ride home. A 32 spoke wheel doesn't only last longer, a spoke failure also is less severe.
Old 08-20-18, 09:50 PM
Ikester

Bikes: Trek Marlin 2012, Giant Defy 1, Trek Domane 4.5, Giant Toughroad GX1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Holy cow, I wonder if these are actual Clyde’s replying here. I’m 280, ride a defy and a domane. I have, after riding the stock wheels on these bikes, upgraded to 32 spoke wheels, however- I had only 1 rear wheel spoke break on the stock wheels. Never any other issues. Upgraded after 600-1000 miles on each bike. Sometimes I wonder if the stock wheels actually needed to be upgraded. I put 2000 miles annually on my bikes, on average. Get new wheels if it makes you less anxious, but also know that they won’t blow out from under you. You are going to wear out your rear tires pretty quick too, by the way. It’s part of being a Clyde....
Mavic CXP 33 wheels with shimano hubs will last you for years. And the 24 up front probably doesn’t need an upgrade, if you don’t have the spare cash.

Last edited by Ikester; 08-20-18 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 10:08 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I really appreciate all of he input, it’s inpressive how active this forum is!

Thunking was pedals, so I bought good platforms (going clipless in the spring) and that took care of it. Creaking was the seatpost, so after they fitted it they cut it down and that took care of that. So no more funny noises and it’s more comfortable.

im pretty comfortable with basic maintenance, but pretty lazy (if I’m honest)

one interesting thing of note - I called my insurance company to see if it would be covered under my homeowners in the event of a loss (theft). They advised that I have the option to schedule it on my policy for $200/yr, and it’ll cover any loss, not just theft, with no deductible. I specifically asked about folding a wheel in half hitting a pot hole, and they said yes that would be covered. So even if I do (catastrophically) break a wheel it looks like I’ll be in good shape. Thought I’d pass this along in case anyone here wants to do the same

Almost makes you want to go out looking for potholes to ride over.
Old 08-21-18, 07:58 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Thunking was pedals, so I bought good platforms (going clipless in the spring) and that took care of it.
Don't go clipless just because 'they' said you should. If you like the good platforms, stick with the good platforms. You get to wear regular shoes.
Old 08-21-18, 11:16 AM
Cpinn3r

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
If I have issues I’ll get an aileron disc wheel set from velocity. But I am doubting that’ll be necessary. I have like a couple months left of riding. By spring I’ll be close to the limit.
Don;t stop riding, cause the weather changes. Keep riding even indoors, can pick up a cheap trainer and keep going

Just keep pedaling.
Old 08-21-18, 11:30 AM
Vq30de

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpinn3r
Don;t stop riding, cause the weather changes. Keep riding even indoors, can pick up a cheap trainer and keep going

Just keep pedaling.
Building a new house in the spring so I’ll have room for one then! In fact that’s what precipitated this purchase - I had to sell my summer car and this is my consolation prize lol
Old 08-21-18, 09:05 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
If I have issues I’ll get an aileron disc wheel set from velocity. But I am doubting that’ll be necessary. I have like a couple months left of riding. By spring I’ll be close to the limit. The shop I bought it from is a top specialized dealer, is highly regarded in my area, and the owner spent a great deal of time with me. So I have much confidence. I was mostly concerned with breaking something more substantial like the frame. Buying new wheels isn’t a big deal
ha! I have a rear, on White Industries hubs. Sadly, QR not TA and I think your bike is TA. My new bike is, so the rear at least is going surplus.

not sure if the White Ind T11 can be converted to TA. Is an older hub.
Old 08-21-18, 09:55 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
It's only a mistake if you don't post pics of said bike and if you don't ride said bike. Sounds like a nice rig and upgrade
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-22-18, 11:14 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts

Just sounds like the rear derailleur is out of adjustment then. Easy thing to fix, you can look up videos online to find out how to do it yourself or take it back to the shop and see if they'll adjust it for you.
Old 08-22-18, 06:09 PM
Jeremiesmith77

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
It's only a mistake if you don't post pics of said bike and if you don't ride said bike. Sounds like a nice rig and upgrade
I second this suggestion. Also, set yourself a reminder to come back with an update in a few months. Others could learn from your experience...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.