Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike fit and knees as you get older

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 07:57 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I have ridden 2 bikes and have had my saddle height set via a digital caliper at the same height for years. This season as it gets later i have noticed my knees have started bugging me. I know i have a leg length dependency but i have accounted for that. I checked both bikes and the saddle height is spot on to the fraction of a mm according to my caliper.....yet it still feels like the saddle should go up a bit. I thought you were supposed to shrink as you aged. Not sure what to thing but i might try going up 5mm and see how things work out. I just find it very odd considering i have been at this height with both bikes/saddles for many years.
Old 08-19-18, 08:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Did you wash your bike using hot water?

​​​​​​.
Have you changed shoes that might have a thicker sole? I wouldn't think shoes would change the leg stroke to that extreme but there is always a first i suppose?
Old 08-19-18, 08:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Your overall height decreases because your spine compresses. Leg length stays pretty much the same unless there's an injury.

I had no end of knee issues from riding with a too-low saddle for many months, having set it by formula. One day I just kept raising it and raising it, waiting for pain behind the knee.

Never came. Left it about 1/8" lower than where my hips would start to rock, which is over 1" higher than what the formula said it should be.

Bike fit is a fluid thing. I'm constantly fiddling with bar and hood angle, saddle angle and setback, seems like everything except cleat position. Haven't messed with those in forever.
Old 08-19-18, 08:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
I've noticed if my seat is too high I'll wake up some pain in the upper inner thigh area. The power until the pain happens is noticeably greater... Takes a few good long rides before the discomfort occurs.
Old 08-19-18, 08:13 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
As I have gotten older i have found a higher seatpost is preferable. It's easier on my knees.
I always have a straighter knee at the bottom of my stroke than the racer guys.
Old 08-19-18, 08:37 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just a thought but this may be an indication of loss flexibility and/or becoming a bit rounder at the midsection, rather than shorter.

The knee pain is an indication that your stroke is out of whack somewhere, possibly at the top of the stroke. With a loss of flexibility or more mass in the midsection, your knee can kickout at the top. Raising the saddle height opens the hip angle, which can reduce the possibility of having the knee kickout at the top of the stroke. Shorter crank length can also help.
Old 08-20-18, 07:15 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I've also raised my seat to what is beyond the norm. My arthritic knees appreciate it. Just below rocking level. Spinning also helps.
Old 08-20-18, 07:27 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Consider shorter crank arms ?
also, fore/aft saddle position, plus saddle tilt ?
Old 08-20-18, 08:23 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i have always wanted to try out some 165 crank arms as i have short legs but up until this year my saddle height has remained fine for 1000s of miles and quite a few years. I have lost weight so i dont think it has anything to do with that. Ill just have to mess with things until i get it right agian.
Old 08-20-18, 08:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have experienced the same thing. This year the seat has gone up 5mm after decades of the same seat height.10mm was too high and it bothered me behind the knee. Raised it to address patellar tendonitis. Hasn't gone away, but is much more manageable now.
Old 08-20-18, 08:56 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
As you get older, parts of your body will protest no matter what you do.
It is a fact of life and digital calipers measuring/adjusting a fraction of a mm will not avail you.
Old 08-20-18, 09:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Your bib chamois has squished flat and is not rebounding any more.
Old 08-21-18, 10:57 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
i have always wanted to try out some 165 crank arms as i have short legs but up until this year my saddle height has remained fine for 1000s of miles and quite a few years. I have lost weight so i dont think it has anything to do with that. Ill just have to mess with things until i get it right agian.
Assuming you were at the ideal leg extension currently, going from e.g., 175 to 165 requires that you raise the seat height by 10 ml (seat height is based on leg extension with the pedal at 6 o'clock). So, you might check out the bike with that in mind to make sure you can raise the bars as well or you might end up with a more aggressive riding position than you started with.
Old 08-22-18, 10:20 AM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
I have lost weight so i dont think it has anything to do with that.
Oh, lost weight part is actually a very important part! As I was loosing weight (lost 70 pounds last year), I was raising my seat higher and higher. Think about it - your natural "padding" thickness reduces as you loose weight, so you effectively start seating lower than before and need to adjust the saddle height accordingly.
Old 08-22-18, 01:20 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I went with shorter crank arms, and love it. I spin better now, as well. Best thing I did on my bike, and I'm not that old, not that young either. I swapped mine out at 51. Should have done it sooner.
Old 08-22-18, 02:32 PM
rideorglide

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might depend on what type of rider you are - power-sprinterly type or high cadence aerobic spinner?

I don't know

For me ... I don't think it worked.

I bought 165s for my bike as I thought they would be a plus. having shorter legs 29.5 inch inseam, (but a longer torso)

But I really do question whether they work for the type of rider I am — more of a power clyde, and not so much of a high-cadence spinner,
I wonder whether I am missing out on some leverage - if I could afford a do-over in my chosen brand and compatibility, I would go 172.5.
But to afford that I would be looking at a serious dollar outlay or a jump in weight from carbon back to steel-luminum. My inner weight and aesthetics weenie balks.
Old 08-23-18, 02:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Bicycle fit isn't a fixed thing. Lots of things can cause the need to change including but not limited to ...

Weight gain
Weight loss
Flexibility loss
Injury
Increased fitness
Decreased fitness
Taking up another sport and training different muscles
Old 08-23-18, 03:28 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Put the caliper back in the toolbox.

There are so many variables in a proper fit to a bicycle.

There is not any single solution to comfort and performance fit in most cases.

Also, things are not static in the body.

Not only age"shrinkage", but fitness level, individual degree of "limberness" and a host of others -

how big your hands are! Very subtle stuff can make a difference.

Comfort is the first rule and the adjustments to get there will take time, especially when you are at the

final fit stage, as it sounds like you are. If you are comfortable on your bicycle, fit makes the experience

better - read that more efficient.

I equate the body to any machine - if the parts do not mesh correctly, not only can there be noise(pain),

but premature wear and long term issues may develop.(Piston and crankshaft)

Have someone video you riding, from all angles.

Examine all the visuals and relate to what your body is telling you - pressure, strain, wiggles, etc.

Look at knees during spin.

Note any movement on the saddle - you should see none.

The best saddle is the one that supports the "Sitz bones" and not have uncomfortable pressure anywhere.

Squishy is good for around the block, but for a longer ride a firm platform will likely be best.

Look at the splay/pronation of your knees - that one tells a lot.

As they say of Eddy Merckx - half man- half bike.

When I fit people:

Feet

Butt

Hands

In that order, as each affects the adjustment of the one following.

Regards,

rusty
Old 08-23-18, 11:51 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Took up cycling in mid 40's when knees began giving me problems from running. Almost 40 years later - high saddle (almost straight leg on down stroke) and high cadence are the only way I can continue to ride. Had a pro fit about six years ago and knees still good for a hard ride using same saddle position from pro fit. When I started riding a mtn bike I had knee pain every ride - until I set saddle nearly the same height, tilt and horiz. position as road bike. That is what works for me.