Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

CRIUS folding bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

CRIUS folding bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 08:47 PM
guoze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CRIUS folding bike

Hi,

I am a newbie in folding bike, and considering to purchase one.
Usage would be for occasional weekends / weekdays night to ride around the city area. Perhaps for work too in future (about 15K one way).
I was considering Tern coz it is stylish and reasonably priced, until I came across this new brand (supposedly) called CRIUS.
I believe someone somewhere mentioned about CRIUS before, however I would like to seek in-depth understanding of this brand.
Comparing to Tern and the like, it is even better priced. Nonetheless, there is little known yet about its quality & performance. I've tried to visit their website CRIUS but it's all in Chinese characters.

Does anyone here have hands-on experience with CRIUS or can share with me if this brand is reliable for my usage?

-guoze-
Old 11-09-14, 10:03 PM
ziqpy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quick google showed china, and that brings up red flags for me.

Occasional use buy a dahon or tern, within your budget.
Old 11-09-14, 10:34 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
All the bikes on the CRIUS website look like copies of Dahon bikes.

I'd stick to Dahon or Tern in your situation.
Old 11-09-14, 10:38 PM
guoze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ziqpy

Occasional use buy a dahon or tern, within your budget.

Thanks ziqpy. It's rather bewildering that China brand is largely not recommended, when some major parts of branded folding bike (e.g. tube?) are made in China too.
Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

How about Java vs Tern/Dahon? Any pro/con?

-guoze-
Likes For guoze:
Old 11-09-14, 10:49 PM
ziqpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chinese give companies a list of metals to choose from. What companies like dahon and tern do it quality check. Chinese clones, do not and pick only the worse metals.

common knowledge.
Old 11-10-14, 12:58 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Pun intended?

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 11-10-14, 04:16 AM
fsir

Bikes: dahon speed p8, fsir 2.0 spin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, that's the color of their national flag so...
Old 11-10-14, 05:20 AM
guoze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok, since many here are against the idea of getting a China local brand bike, I guess I will drop the idea..

Hope to get comparison of Java vs Tern/Dahon, though.

cheers,
Old 11-10-14, 08:20 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guoze
ok, since many here are against the idea of getting a China local brand bike, I guess I will drop the idea..

cheers,
That would be a wise move. Non-Chinese companies that have their products manufactured in China have to follow strict guidelines as set out by the company. Case in point: Epiphone guitars are manufactured in China, but are under the direction and control of Epiphone Musical Instruments in the US, which comes under the umbrella of Gibson US. Now there are guitars made in China that are knock offs of the Gibson-Epiphone models, but I wouldn't touch that garbage with a ten foot pole. I would safely assume that is a similar case with bicycles. Now there are companies in China that make fake Gibson guitars and are sold here in the US as being the genuine product and many people here are being duped into buying these fake instruments thinking they are getting the genuine article. Mind you, these fakes are being sold on non sanctioned Gibson/Epiphone websites. I'm telling you this just in case there are companies that are trying to sell fake Tern or Dahon bikes as examples. Just as in guitars, as long as you purchase from a reputable dealer you will be OK. Just don't entertain purchasing your bike anywhere else. For me, I steer clear of companies on eBay trying to flog what they call genuine products.
Old 11-20-14, 08:55 PM
guoze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your lengthy explanation, Still Pedaling.
Now I am seriously considering to get Tern Link P9 (2014) as I love to speed once in a while.

By the way, just like you all here suggested, I used to have negative standpoint towards China brand. Well you know, clones, weak/lack of quality control, etc.
It wasn't until recently that I learn of this China brand in mobile phone industry called Xiaomi. Apparently, phones made by this brand are given high recommendation by most users, even ranked well in reviews e.g. CNET. It seems that few China brand are starting to do copy with a twist?
Sorry, it just came to me as I am considering to get new mobile too.

cheers,

Originally Posted by Still Pedaling
That would be a wise move. Non-Chinese companies that have their products manufactured in China have to follow strict guidelines as set out by the company. Case in point: Epiphone guitars are manufactured in China, but are under the direction and control of Epiphone Musical Instruments in the US, which comes under the umbrella of Gibson US. Now there are guitars made in China that are knock offs of the Gibson-Epiphone models, but I wouldn't touch that garbage with a ten foot pole. I would safely assume that is a similar case with bicycles. Now there are companies in China that make fake Gibson guitars and are sold here in the US as being the genuine product and many people here are being duped into buying these fake instruments thinking they are getting the genuine article. Mind you, these fakes are being sold on non sanctioned Gibson/Epiphone websites. I'm telling you this just in case there are companies that are trying to sell fake Tern or Dahon bikes as examples. Just as in guitars, as long as you purchase from a reputable dealer you will be OK. Just don't entertain purchasing your bike anywhere else. For me, I steer clear of companies on eBay trying to flog what they call genuine products.
Old 11-21-14, 07:29 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guoze
Thanks for your lengthy explanation, Still Pedaling.
Now I am seriously considering to get Tern Link P9 (2014) as I love to speed once in a while.

By the way, just like you all here suggested, I used to have negative standpoint towards China brand. Well you know, clones, weak/lack of quality control, etc.
It wasn't until recently that I learn of this China brand in mobile phone industry called Xiaomi. Apparently, phones made by this brand are given high recommendation by most users, even ranked well in reviews e.g. CNET. It seems that few China brand are starting to do copy with a twist?
Sorry, it just came to me as I am considering to get new mobile too.

cheers,
The cloning still goes on in making fake items with low to no QC, but, China's production market coupled with advanced technology is coming out with great innovative products. One just has to be aware of the bad side to their industry.
Old 11-21-14, 09:04 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
I'm not down on China in general. I know we in the music world were jolted when a Chinese manufactured piano bested instruments from Europe, Japan and the USA in a blind test, but after all, China, unlike Europe, Japan and the USA, can put human beings into space. There's junk that comes out of China, but they can also accomplish some pretty impressive stuff when they put their minds to it.

That said, I know nothing of Crius - their reputation, how long they've been in business, their after sale support in your market, etc. A particular Chinese local brand bike might be fine - I just don't know.

I'm telling you this just in case there are companies that are trying to sell fake Tern or Dahon bikes as examples.
To be clear, Crius seems to be building designs 'inspired' by Dahon. They join a looooong list of companies that do so. Separate and apart from that, it's not 'just in case'. Dahon's intelectual property is very definitely stolen and actual counterfeit Dahons are offered for sale. There are other companies, like FNHon and GeHon, that ride Dahon's reputation and branding with look-alike logos and names.

Check out this FNHon 'Helios'. It's even painted the same mango color Dahon has used for their speed bikes since the last millennium:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fnhon 'helios'.jpg (36.7 KB, 557 views)

Last edited by tcs; 11-21-14 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 09:26 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I'm not down on China in general. I know we in the music world were jolted when a Chinese manufactured piano bested instruments from Europe, Japan and the USA in a blind test, but after all, China, unlike Europe, Japan and the USA, can put human beings into space. There's junk that comes out of China, but they can also accomplish some pretty impressive stuff when they put their minds to it.

That said, I know nothing of Crius - their reputation, how long they've been in business, their after sale support in your market, etc. A particular Chinese local brand bike might be fine - I just don't know.

To be clear, Crius seems to be building designs 'inspired' by Dahon. They join a looooong list of companies that do so. Separate and apart from that, it's not 'just in case'. Dahon's intelectual property is very definitely stolen and actual counterfeit Dahons are offered for sale. There are other companies, like FNHon and GeHon, that ride Dahon's reputation and branding with look-alike logos and names.
Perhaps it was a typo error. I agree with everything you say but one little point when you mentioned. " . . . China, unlike Europe, Japan and the USA, can put human beings into space." Perhaps you weren't around on July 20th, 1969 when the US landed the first human beings on the moon. It was the Apollo 11 mission. On that mission (July 21st), Neil Armstrong was the first person to step down on the surface of the moon. One of the greatest achievements in human history. "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind", was the first thing he said right after he stepped onto the lunar surface. I sure hope they are teaching kids this stuff in school.

Cheers
Wayne

Last edited by Still Pedaling; 11-21-14 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 02:52 PM
tcs
Palmer

Perhaps it was a typo error.
English lesson: "Can" is present tense. "Could" is past tense.

Last edited by tcs; 11-21-14 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 03:12 PM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
English lesson: "Can" is present tense. "Could" is past tense.
English lesson: Very true, but when you say China "unlike" the USA can put human beings in space, indicates that the USA can't. Perhaps if you had said "like" the USA, simply because the USA did.

Last edited by Still Pedaling; 11-21-14 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 05:24 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not trying to OT this thread,but,the US can put people in space,we just stopped doing it due to budget cutbacks. It should also be noted that we don't need to anymore. Probes and robots can do pretty much every thing we need to do,without a risk to human life or the additional issues of sustaining an environment for living things. Way easier to send probes to Mars than humans.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 11-21-14, 09:15 PM
tcs
Palmer

Hey, you cats wanna put your credibility on the line by claiming the USA has a current launch system that's human-capable and the American manned space flight program isn't scrambling right now because the Russians have said they're gonna quite hauling Americans to the ISS (where dynarider appears to claim NASA astronauts don't currently go), go right ahead!
Old 11-23-14, 05:07 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Call me when there's a flag besides the Stars and Stripes on the moon.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 11-23-14, 08:16 PM
Violinfish

Bikes: Dahon HSL,NB994 16",Battle FSD 14"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I know,Crius is a sub-brand of Lite-Pro. Its pronounciation sounds like "Cry-us".
Old 10-06-16, 07:37 AM
Henry Ong

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New owner of 20"Crius Folderable bike

The comments here on Crius bike were mainly negative.

I purchased my Crius Folderable Bike in August 2016. I have cycled with it to many parts of our Island State, Singapore, and enjoyed every bit of it.

I have no regret buying this bike, and come to treasure it greatly. It is light , easy to fold, and carry around on our public transport system.

The price is much cheaper compared to all the other major brands in this category of bicycle.
Likes For Henry Ong:
Old 10-06-16, 07:53 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am bringing in some frames and even a handful complete bikes. I am doing this as no naked frames are available from either tern or Dahon .... and a couple 14 inch 5 speed bikes ,which also is not available from either of them.
The frames are very good quality, have been tested around here from a couple of very aggressive riders. Not for everybody to built up a whole bike, but some of my customers like the idea to have a custom bike built from the ground up ( disc brakes etc )

The 14 inch bikes are great as well, plus mostly equipped with high end Lite-Pro parts are a real good value for the money.
Old 10-06-16, 08:20 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Thor, does the handlebar stem telescope?
Old 10-06-16, 09:54 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdonline
Thor, does the handlebar stem telescope?
no I opted for the much stiffer one piece ..... Funny enough, I had several people ride them totally different size folks..
smaller folks liked the upride position, larger guys liked that it was sporty ....
But we can customize with longer or shorter T section handlebar and throw an aber hallo or Litepro extender on it, maybe even an Andros stem....

The 14 inch is more for shorter distances I would assume, hence I like to keep it simple.

thor
Old 10-06-16, 10:37 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
I'll say it again,...I wish the 14" could handle a 225lb rider.
Old 10-06-16, 11:45 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Violinfish
As I know,Crius is a sub-brand of Lite-Pro.
Good to know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.