Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Choices

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 04:35 PM
ALLSTOTT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choices

Hey Everyone,
So I will soon be getting stationed at Tucson and I'm trying to decide whether to stick with what I've been commuting on here in South Korea or go to a new commuting rig. Right now I've been using my 29er for everything; bikepackpacking, road rides, and of course hitting the trails. My commute will be approx 20 Mi round trip which would you go for?

CAADX 105 Disc - CAADX - CYCLOCROSS - ROAD - BIKES - 2015

Cross-Check | Bikes | Surly Bikes

https://www.purefixcycles.com/collec...-white-fixie-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0941.jpg (96.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-18-15, 05:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I really like the Fixie, the only thing I would change on it is the handle bars. I have bull horns on my FG and I find them very comfortable to ride, bull horns give you more hand positions and a lot more leverage...Leverage is important on a FG, it helps with climbing hills, accelerating, and stopping when resisting the pedals.

Or

My second choice would be to build a Crosscheck with a flip flop hub( fixed/free).
Old 01-18-15, 10:03 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I don't know how flat it is in Tuscon, but I bet it's pretty flat. If that's the case, you'll be better off with a more road-styled bike. The fixie would work fine, but personally I don't care for them. I own a Cross-Check, and love it, so obviously i'd recommend it. It'll do everything. I swapped out the knobby 700x32 tires that were on it for some slicker 28s because I wasn't planning on doing any off-roading. But it could if I wanted to. I don't actually commute on mine - but I could in an instant.
It also depends on what kind of path you're taking to work - is it all roads and paved paths, or will you be on some trails? The Cross-Check suits all of those, obviously. The Cannondale would be probably really nice to have, but for that price you could get either of the other 2 bikes and some pretty badass accessories to build your rig.
Old 01-18-15, 10:19 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Since it's your money I'd be spending I pick the Cannondale. The fixie just looks gimmicky to me.
Old 01-19-15, 12:05 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
You have a $330 fixed gear or a $1500 cross bike as options? Seems like a HUGE variation in desired bike and spending limit. I agree with wolfchild on the bullhorns on fixed gear bikes. I have them on both of mine, and I love them! If you want a single speed or fixed, I would pass on that Pure Fix as that is a lower end bike, and I don't think that you will be happy with it. There are far better options out there.
Old 01-19-15, 01:25 AM
ALLSTOTT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
You have a $330 fixed gear or a $1500 cross bike as options? Seems like a HUGE variation in desired bike and spending limit. I agree with wolfchild on the bullhorns on fixed gear bikes. I have them on both of mine, and I love them! If you want a single speed or fixed, I would pass on that Pure Fix as that is a lower end bike, and I don't think that you will be happy with it. There are far better options out there.
I don't know much about SS/FG companies so if you have any you would recommend I would appreciate it. I've actually never rode one but the price and simplicity is what makes it attractive.
Old 01-19-15, 08:53 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 878 Posts
Since it appears your 29'r has disc brakes-
I'd get a set of new wheels with SKINNY rims and skinny, slick tires.
A cassette change may also be useful to give more closely spaced gears.

I'd assume in Tucson, that you would experience rather severe temperature extremes.
That's one reason I'd avoid a fixie. You may be "fresh" in the morning and dragging butt in the afternoon heat and simply not feel/be up to trying to push your only gear.
Old 01-19-15, 09:27 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ALLSTOTT
I don't know much about SS/FG companies so if you have any you would recommend I would appreciate it. I've actually never rode one but the price and simplicity is what makes it attractive.
The price is attractive, however, with 20 mile round trip commutes daily, you will quickly find the shortcomings in that cheaper fixed gear bike. As Bill Kapuan said, will you be up to a fixed gear ride in that heat? I currently do an 8.5 mile ride on a fixed gear with almost no elevation change. Granted, in the summer I have to deal with humidity which you will not in Tucson. You will just have that dry heat.

Other fixed/single speed bikes to check out are from Wabi, the Kilo TT, some of the bikes from Leader and possibly State bikes. It is going to depend on the style you want as well. More of a classic road looking bike, or you could go with a more track geometry, like that Leader. Do you want fixed only, or the ability to flip it to single speed?
Old 01-19-15, 09:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Thorny Goathead seeds will Get you .. Tribulus terrestris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia..

Armoring up Your Tires will make your wheels heavy. Or get talented on mending Punctures Quickly..
Old 01-19-15, 12:43 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cdale. Didn't even really have to think about it. Going to be the lightest of the 4. You should def keep your 29er, too.
Old 01-19-15, 02:11 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Tucson is flat in the middle but its suburbs are encroaching on the surrounding hills. Go for gears.

I originally wrote: I wish I had the Cannondale with the gear range of the Surly. But I looked at the sites and the Cannondale is lower than I remember, with a 28 cassette; and the Surly is not much lower than that with a 32. I was thinking the CAADX had a 26 cassette and that the Surly had a triple crank and barcons, but they've changed components since I was shopping this category a few years ago.

Here's where to ride your 29er.
TUCSON TRAILS | Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists

Heat and goatheads! Man. My childhood.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-19-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-20-15, 06:22 AM
ALLSTOTT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input I think I'll be going with the cannondale. I actually started commuting back in 08 when I was stationed in Phoenix. So I know all about the heat, as for the thorns I actually never got a flat while commuting/riding road only mtbing.
Old 01-20-15, 09:31 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Cdale. Didn't even really have to think about it. Going to be the lightest of the 4. You should def keep your 29er, too.
+1 - And I OWN a cross check. I use it for commuting in poor weather and an around town errand bike. (set up with rack, fenders, IGH, upright bars, studded tires etc...)

For a 20 mile RT commute I'd go with the Cdale hands down. I ride my Santa Cruz CX race bike more than any other, It can handle just about anything, it's light, stiff, and fast, good on road, good off road.
Old 01-20-15, 11:39 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It depends what you plan on adding to it. The CrossCheck has a steel frame and canti brakes. The Cannondale has mechanical disc brakes and an alloy frame. It's marginally lighter but if you plan on adding a rack, fenders, bags and water bottles - the difference isn't worth talking about and both bikes are designed to take them.

Hydraulic disc brakes are self adjusting for wear. Mechanical disc brakes don't have the same power as hydraulic ones and require just as much attention as the canti's will.

Those two are both still nice bikes.