Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SE Washington State C&V folks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 09:24 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts

Any C&V folks from southeast Washington. Primarily Clarkston and (Lewiston, ID) as well as the Palouse. My wife and I are planning on moving that way this summer in preparation for retirement in a couple of years (I work from home). I grew up in the Palouse (north of the valley) and know the roads well. Not so much in the Lewistion-Clarkston valley. I know there's some great climbing that I'm looking forward to including Winchester grade and my favorite the Old Spiral highway - I hope to do that one weekly if possible.

I would love to get together with some C&V folks once I'm there for some rides to learn the area.

Nope - that's not my time. I've been known to go up a little quicker. After the last couple of years though that could easily become my new time.

Likes For scozim:
Old 01-18-24, 01:13 AM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
When I lived in Spokane, my wife would have to drive to Clarkston for work and I would tag along and bring my bike. Absolutely wonderful biking through the Palouse!
Old 01-18-24, 07:48 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Scozim hosted a marvelous (mostly gravel) ride in the Palouse a few years ago. Gorgeous roads and scenery, first class companionship!

Old 01-18-24, 08:42 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Originally Posted by rccardr
Scozim hosted a marvelous (mostly gravel) ride in the Palouse a few years ago. Gorgeous roads and scenery, first class companionship!

And stage 2 of the Tour de Palouse will happen. This year may be tough in planning a move but next year could work.

Old 01-18-24, 08:52 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
Is that guy from Maryland? I'm not sure. So hard to tell if a person is a vegan, went to Harvard or is from Maryland.
Old 01-18-24, 09:48 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
@Andy_K without a beard! Mon Dieu!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-18-24, 11:09 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Is that guy from Maryland? I'm not sure. So hard to tell if a person is a vegan, went to Harvard or is from Maryland.
That's no vegan, that's northbend, Andy_K, and gugie contemplating the meaning of life and wondering where the next brewpub is.

And no, that is most definitely not a Harvard emblem on Andy's jersey.
Old 01-18-24, 12:02 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
That's no vegan, that's northbend, Andy_K, and gugie contemplating the meaning of life and wondering where the next brewpub is.

And no, that is most definitely not a Harvard emblem on Andy's jersey.
About that time of the ride they were all contemplating how to kill me and hide all evidence. Turned out to be hotter than you know what on that ride.

Likes For scozim:
Old 01-18-24, 12:08 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
@Andy_K without a beard! Mon Dieu!
The idea that I ever have a beard is a common misunderstanding. I just don't like shaving so I go a while without doing it. I shave once every two or three years, whether I need it or not.
Old 01-18-24, 12:11 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I don't know what you're talking about. Is it our subtle use of the state flag?

Old 01-18-24, 12:31 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

Viva La Palouse!

Bikerider007

juvela, a yew dub veteran

-----
Old 01-18-24, 04:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
The idea that I ever have a beard is a common misunderstanding. I just don't like shaving so I go a while without doing it. I shave once every two or three years, whether I need it or not.
I’ve seen a guy a few times over the past 10 years with one of Andy’s bikes on the back of a car pull into Andy’s parking spot (officially my Publicist parking spot) that is the right size and shape as Andy, but beardless. I normally don’t ride with strangers, but the real Andy never showed up. He was a pleasant fellow, so there’s that.
Old 01-19-24, 12:55 PM
daywood 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
Any C&V folks from southeast Washington. Primarily Clarkston and (Lewiston, ID) as well as the Palouse. My wife and I are planning on moving that way this summer in preparation for retirement in a couple of years (I work from home). I grew up in the Palouse (north of the valley) and know the roads well. Not so much in the Lewistion-Clarkston valley. I know there's some great climbing that I'm looking forward to including Winchester grade and my favorite the Old Spiral highway - I hope to do that one weekly if possible.

I would love to get together with some C&V folks once I'm there for some rides to learn the area.

Nope - that's not my time. I've been known to go up a little quicker. After the last couple of years though that could easily become my new time.
My wife and I grew up in Clarkston but no longer live there. When we visit family there these days we tend to ride the multi-use paths on the levees. We’ve also ridden parts of the Trail of the Coeur D’Alenes. Beautiful. The Route of the Hiawatha is still on our bucket list. I think riders on roads are still somewhat of an anomaly to drivers in the Lewis-Clark Valley and environs, so be careful out there! Also, as you know from living on the Palouse, there’s about a 10-minute window in the spring and the fall between blistering hot and freezing cold. But I have always liked the easy access from there to all kinds of outdoor environments and activities in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. There is some beautiful country there.

Old 01-19-24, 02:36 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Originally Posted by daywood
My wife and I grew up in Clarkston but no longer live there. When we visit family there these days we tend to ride the multi-use paths on the levees. We’ve also ridden parts of the Trail of the Coeur D’Alenes. Beautiful. The Route of the Hiawatha is still on our bucket list. I think riders on roads are still somewhat of an anomaly to drivers in the Lewis-Clark Valley and environs, so be careful out there! Also, as you know from living on the Palouse, there’s about a 10-minute window in the spring and the fall between blistering hot and freezing cold. But I have always liked the easy access from there to all kinds of outdoor environments and activities in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. There is some beautiful country there.

Love the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes. The Hiawatha is a bucket list ride also.

Old 01-21-24, 08:00 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Spend every Summer in South Salem Oregon. Near enough to the Palouse, so I'm in for awhile until I age out. Don (also matriculated at "Yew Dub" prior to Oregon credentials)