Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bonded Frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bonded Frames

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 11:23 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,999 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Too small! 1990's Raleigh USA Team Technium - 753 mains and SR Litage fork. Drove too far for what was supposed to be a 58cm frame to pass it up.
I had that happen this weekend. Had a guy drive about 90 minutes to me to buy my Technium. When I opened the door and saw someone over 6 Ft tall I was like, uh oh....

I had the frame size in the ad title plus had the CTC size of the seat tube and top tube in the ad body. I still felt bad.
Old 01-22-24, 12:13 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
This Vitus 979 handled Day 2 of the 2023 Cino Montana ride with no problems. Bonded joints flex just enough to yield a comfortable ride. Don

Day Two 2023 Montana Ride
Old 01-22-24, 02:43 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
That's the galvanic reaction of the small-surface-area steel ring being electrically overcome by the much greater surface area of the aluminum lug.
Keeping the frame clean and dry is the only way to prevent it, since even galvanizing the steel ring would not prevent it's surface from oxidizing (what galvanizing is supposed to do, act like a "sacrificial anode").
Peugeot's PY10FC had a similar problem with their reinforcing rings at the lugs. Peugeot did not paint over the rings but left them with the same aluminum finish (cear anodized?) as their lugs. Corrosion under the rings developed on the bikes that were not well taken care of and would cause the rings to crack and eventually fall off the frames. It turned out to he the best gauge of the condition of the frame when considering to buy one. If the rings are still one the frame, that means the frame will most likely be in ok condition. If they are missing, it would not be advisable to buy it.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)