Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1931 Empire Superb

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1931 Empire Superb

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 11:05 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1931 Empire Superb

Oh delight! After much patient waiting the 1931 Empire Superb road racing bicycle I purchased a while ago has been delivered

(Thumbnail - please click)

(Auction Photo)

Oooooo it hasn't been looked after the poor old thing and it will need much patient rust removal and Oxalic acid baths, but I don't mind in the slightest. This is my very first pre-war competition bicycle and it's absolutely wonderful. Light? - oh yes it is, - Lovely lovely chrome molybdenum steel
The biggest thrill is that this is a New Zealand made competition bicycle and while I had to pay $NZ100.00 and slightly annoy a bicycle enthusiast friend whom I heartlessly outbid, it's worth every penny
That's a Wright's 'Olympic' saddle btw, not a Lycett 'Aero', but otherwise the spec seems to match the factory pamphlet pretty much exactly.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 10-18-07, 03:38 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Wonderful find! Are the wheels and rear caliper original? Do you plan to repaint?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-18-07, 04:58 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Wonderful find! Are the wheels and rear caliper original? Do you plan to repaint?
The wheels in the auction photo are a pair of 28 inch English roadster wheels which have essentially being keeping the frame off the floor of the shed in which this bike had been stored for the past goodness knows how many years. I do have the original rear wheel and the original front hub though and the roadster wheels are a nice bonus because I can use those on another project
The rear caliper is an interesting centrepull design and the non-plated parts do have traces of Empire blue paint on them so I'm picking it came with the bike. The only marking I can see on the brake caliper is the word 'Warranted'.
I will repaint this bike because the red paintjob on the frame and forks is pretty disgusting - and besides Empire bikes were nearly always painted a dark blue. The factory pamphlet certainly says the 'Superb' model should be blue - so that's what it shall be.

(detail pictures are not from my own bikes)

OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 10-18-07, 07:15 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Sianelle,

wonderful looking bike, looks like a great project.
Can you give us (me!) a bit of history on Empire?
I'm really curious about the lesser known marques. We all
know about Colnago, Pogliaghi, Raleigh, Hetchins etc. but its the
small marques that truely pique my interest.
(and a lesson in New Zealand bikes would be nice too)
thanks
marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-18-07, 07:55 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Very nice, very nice.

Any close-ups of the fork ends with the Cam Adjustment? I'd like to know what that is.
Old 10-18-07, 08:23 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
It looks almost like the underlying paint is blue.
Old 10-18-07, 08:37 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
what a sweet ride. congrats.
Old 10-18-07, 09:03 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Congrats Ann .. uh .. Sianelle! What a fantastic cycle. I can't wait to see it transformed.

Bob
Old 10-18-07, 09:09 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
That bike is sweet and the adjustable bar stem is sickly insane! note: the bars in the pamphlet photo are underneath the stem
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 10-18-07, 10:21 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Beautiful!

It amazes me to see how little has changed in the basic geometry of the safety bicycle over the past 75 years or so. Aside from the steeper head tube angle and lack of trail, it looks as though it could have been designed today. I can't wait to see it restored in "brilliant blue"...

Good on 'ya.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 10-18-07, 11:59 AM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Ohh, I should have brought it!

I forgot about that bike. I should have brought it.
But I have two vintage racing bikes to restore already - a possible Jones Special and a c1910 bike.

It will look good when you restore it. Does it still have the snail cams on the rear hub? My possible Jones also has the Major Taylor stem, but it has been repainted silver. It must have been popular on prewar NZ made bikes.

Edit: It will look good when it is restored.

Last edited by gnome; 10-18-07 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Forgot the rest of my post, doh.
Old 10-18-07, 04:12 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone Hello Bob.

I'm not any sort of real expert on the NZ bicycle industry, - in fact to tell the truth I know very little about it and it's only since I purchased an elderly (possibly) 'Farmers Trading Co' ladies roadster earlier this year that I've been trying to find out more about it. For years nobody has taken a great deal of interest in bicycle history here. The major transport museum in Auckland was donated a number of early bicycles some years ago and promptly swapped them all for a vintage car! While trying to find out further information about early bicycles I did make enquires with the local branch of the Vintage and Veteran car club and I received a decidedly underwhelming reaction to my enquiries. The sole authoritative text on NZ bicycling is 'RIDE: the story of cycling in New Zealand', published by the Kennett Brothers in 2004.

https://www.bikenz.org.nz/Article.aspx?ID=22173

I don't own a copy unfortunately, but the local library has been very helpful with tracking it down for me.
As far as I know there are no early bicycle clubs or associations here in NZ, - but hopefully Gnome can correct me on this.

The Major Taylor stem does look to have been very popular in prewar cycling competition. I certainly know I've seen more than a few old photos with bicycles wearing them. They do give a considerable range of adjustment and I'd be more than happy to use one on my later period 70s and 80s roadie bicycles.

My Empire is lacking its snail cams and has aquired ordinary drawbolt type adjusters BUT amongst my collection of prewar frame lugs I have these........

Unfortunately I only have the one original snailcam, but I'm reasonably certain that I can make more of them on my Myford lathe. I think it's a really good idea and I wouldn't mind converting one of my more modern spare roadie frames just to give it a good practical test. Oops - I should point out that the pair of pointy stay ends are not anything to do with the snail cam adjusters, - they just happend to be in the scanned picture.

Last edited by Sianelle; 10-18-07 at 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-18-07, 11:20 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Sianelle
As far as I know there are no early bicycle clubs or associations here in NZ, - but hopefully Gnome can correct me on this.
I don't think that there are any early bike clubs here in NZ; - there are some informal groups lurking around the country and possibly some information on the NZ cycle industry. What I do know, mainly from the book Ride mentioned by Sianelle is that we had a heavy protected local market and as subsidies and tariffs were slowly removed the locals couldn't compete with the cheap bikes made in Asia. The local bike industry is now a very few custom manufacturers and the bigger NZ brands (Avanti & Reiker) are now imported.

Originally Posted by Sianelle
My Empire is lacking its snail cams and has aquired ordinary drawbolt type adjusters BUT amongst my collection of prewar frame lugs I have these........

Unfortunately I only have the one original snailcam, but I'm reasonably certain that I can make more of them on my Myford lathe. I think it's a really good idea and I wouldn't mind converting one of my more modern spare roadie frames just to give it a good practical test. Oops - I should point out that the pair of pointy stay ends are not anything to do with the snail cam adjusters, - they just happend to be in the scanned picture.
The snail cams are a bit fiddly to adjust but are a nice idea. Do you happen to have a 40hole 28x 1 3/8 Westwood rim lurking in your collection of prewar parts?
Old 01-22-24, 04:49 AM
bikeman_uk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Empire Superb in the UK

Hello.

I am new to this forum today and I joined so I could send you a reply about your frame. I am in the UK and I have bought a frame thinking that i's a Superb. The frame number is 48113 on the bottom bracket. Unfortunately it seems that I cannot upload any images until I have made at lease 10 posts. The headset lug is the same as the one on an Empire SUperb.

Kind regards
Tony
Old 01-22-24, 08:11 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman_uk
Hello.

I am new to this forum today and I joined so I could send you a reply about your frame. I am in the UK and I have bought a frame thinking that i's a Superb. The frame number is 48113 on the bottom bracket. Unfortunately it seems that I cannot upload any images until I have made at lease 10 posts. The headset lug is the same as the one on an Empire SUperb.

Kind regards
Tony
Hi Tony, so no worries but this a 17yo zombie thread.

You may not get a response but welcome aboard.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-22-24, 12:24 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Yes, Welcome aboard and keep posting. Want to see those pics. Don