Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Universal 61 vs Mafac Racers (or other model)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Universal 61 vs Mafac Racers (or other model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 02:49 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Greg LeMond Rules ! ! He doesn't have to kiss and make up with anybody !

On the topic I can't believe the absurd lengths people go to in order to preserve ugly. We're not talking museum pieces here, these are riders. I got over Mafacs and Universals as soon as I could afford better. A Big $ vintage bike with junk brakes? Puhleeezzz ! And the people who have them are good for a laff when they're not around so as not to embarrass them. And they probably secretly ride lycra too.
Greg Lemond has very little to apologize for, but chasing Boyer down is on the short list. I've heard his explanation for why he did it (USCF didn't give him any support, he was there on his own dime, it was a collection of individuals, not a team), and there is something to it. But chasing down a guy who has the same team jersey on as you do is a bad look and kind of tacky. As for his vociferous anti-doping and anti-doper statements, he was always right about that and remains so. I wish he had not sounded so shrill, as it made it too easy for the cycling establishment to ignore him, but that does not change the fact that he was sounding the alarm way before most others. Good on him for that. And good on him for his career.

As for Universal 61s, I have them on one bike, but with aero levers (Campy 10sp brifters with the guts removed) and modern cables, so they are acceptable. Not great, but acceptable. I have Suntour side pulls on another bike, also with aero levers (Tektro) and modern cables. They are acceptable-plus/good-minus.. My other two have Tektro dual-pivots with Campy 10sp brifters and modern cables. ( I'd run Campy dual pivots, mostly out of vanity, but the clearances will not let me.) They are very good, noticeably better than the Universals or Suntours. Most of my miles are the bikes with the Tektros.
I have found that aero levers make for a significant improvement in braking performance over old-timey cable-out-the-top levers, especially when braking from the hoods, where is need to be to keep my neck from screaming at me. So while I will run the Universals and Suntours (and probably would run Mafacs) on my Eroica bikes, I will not compromise on the levers, as the old-fashioned kind force me to choose between agony and being unsafe. Besides, Campy levers c.1970s were/are hand hatchets. Universals are a little better. Mafacs are between the Campys and the Universals. I'll pass.

I used to have a set of Universal 51 sidepulls on one bike. Never again. Those things are terrible regardless of levers, cables, pads, magic incantations, or divine intervention. Serious pucker (and hand cramp) factor with them..
Old 02-19-24, 04:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,610 Times in 1,765 Posts
Just bought another set of those bad and ugly brakes.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-19-24, 06:45 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Someone is overdue for an intervention

And AFA Boyer is concerned, LeMond beat him. He was better. He won. He deserved to win.

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 02-19-24 at 06:50 PM.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-19-24, 08:08 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Mafacs ( and the various clone) calipers have a qr, none needed on the lever.
Most of the time. Run a 30mm tire and the pads close to the rim and the MAFAC lever with the “J” channel QR will really open up the caliper.

note elsewhere in this thread the super adjustability of the Racer brake can allow all sorts of not equal set up side to side.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-19-24, 08:13 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Someone is overdue for an intervention

And AFA Boyer is concerned, LeMond beat him. He was better. He won. He deserved to win.
Except Lemond didn't win. When he chased down Boyer at the 1982 Worlds, he towed Saronni along with him. Saronni then blasted off to take the win. Not only did he take away whatever chance Boyer had, he handed the win to someone instead of closing the deal himself. On top of that, Greg's comments afterwards were kind of, well, tactless:
LeMond was asked after the finish about chasing down his team mate and he responded, “We were in the last 500 metres and Boyer only had about a 20-metre lead, which there was no way he could keep. I didn’t think he could win and I didn’t want him to. He’s just not a friend. He’s never won a professional race and I didn’t think he was the kind of guy who should be World Champion.”
“I was wearing the U.S. jersey, sure, but there really wasn’t a U.S. team and I definitely wasn’t part of it. I paid for my own trip to England, everything. There was no support from the U.S. federation. The team I was racing for was Renault.”
This is from thebikecomesfirst.com.

Lemond was a top-tier talent who would have won significantly more than he did had he not gone hunting with his brother-in-law. He seems like a basically good guy. He was hosed at the 1985 TdF and almost hosed at the 1986 TdF. That 1989 TdF wins is rightly the stuff of legend. I was and remain a big fan; I'd love the chance to have dinner with him. But he has his warts. His move at the 1982 Worlds was not a cool thing to do and his comments afterwards were unacceptable. He is without question the best road racer the USA has ever produced and would be even if a certain Texan still had seven TdF wins among his palmares. But he could be cocky to the point of arrogance (not Hinault-arrogant, but arrogant nonetheless), His comments about Boyer, no matter how sincerely he believed them and no matter how much someone else might agree with them, are just not the sort of unnecessary personal insult that one says out loud.
Old 02-20-24, 07:57 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Yeah. Antique brain farting. My bad.

Incredibly easy to ignore sort of warts as warts go

JMO of course
Old 02-20-24, 09:22 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
those Racer brakes really benefit from installation of the Compass bronze bushings to replace those 40 year old red plastic bushings.

makes a difference

and let's hear it for roller straddles

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 02-21-24, 12:58 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Yeah. Antique brain farting. My bad.

Incredibly easy to ignore sort of warts as warts go

JMO of course
Hey, I can do antique brain farting with the best/worst of them. It's all good. And yeah, Greg's foibles are just that - foibles, and pretty minor ones at that. I suspect I feel about 98.73% as positive about him as you do.
Old 02-22-24, 08:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
Definitely get rid of the Universal levers, whichever calipers you end up using.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-23-24, 11:12 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I have a bike with Tektro 720 inverse levers mounted on a V/O Porteur bar. They are quite small, might be just right for your Sweetie and she may enjoy more upright riding position. V/O has inverse levers by Dia-Compe which are larger, plus the Tektro RX4 also larger than 720 but look to be smaller than Dia-Compe. V/O doesn't show the Tektro 720 inverse option, but inverse 720 levers are available on the Bay. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 02-23-24 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add words