Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Big Red has joined the collection

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 03:24 PM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 37 Posts

For some weeks now, a person in the Philadelphia area had a 1989 Schwinn 564 (63cm) complete bike for sale, for a very good price. Paramount Design Group bike, mfg somewhere in Asia. When I found myself there week before last, it was still up. An hour later it was mine. Everything on it (including the TIRES and saddle) except the bottom bracket were original. The bottom bracket seal was missing and the bearing cages were rusted. Also, the bottom bracket was cross threaded near the middle, which explains why there was an non sealed on on there with a shallow cup. My LBS fixed that. There was a 118mm bottom bracket spindle. Dummy that I am, I figured I'd get a sealed 118. Wouldn't fit, too wide. Then VeloBase advised me for my crankset, a 115 was in order. It was not, too wide. This one takes a 113. Kept the Shimano Sport LX group, and swapped in Microshift 2x7 brifters. A Suntour Quill seatpost, which I've not had before (I've purchased a spare on eBay, given their reputation). Tossed the torn San Marco Linea saddle, and am using a Fizik I had lying around, which by chance is white. Complimentary white cable housings, cages, and bar tape. Before and after photos.

Last edited by chiefkurtz; 01-23-24 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-23-24, 03:28 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,412 Posts
Lovely bike!

Old 01-24-24, 08:25 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Welcome to the Schwinn Aluminum PDG road bike club! You found a wonderful keeper. I purchased an '89 974 last June after looking for a long time for one in my size and a frame that was in great shape. I've been riding mine a great deal. Mine was missing the original saddle so I installed a Brooks Pro and eventually a Dura Ace tubular wheelset.

One quick correction: The frames were actually made at the new Schwinn plant in Mississippi and not sourced from an Asian builder.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-24-24, 11:29 AM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Welcome to the Schwinn Aluminum PDG road bike club! You found a wonderful keeper. I purchased an '89 974 last June after looking for a long time for one in my size and a frame that was in great shape. I've been riding mine a great deal. Mine was missing the original saddle so I installed a Brooks Pro and eventually a Dura Ace tubular wheelset.

One quick correction: The frames were actually made at the new Schwinn plant in Mississippi and not sourced from an Asian builder.
Thanks for the correction. Info online is either scant, or I was too bored to keep looking. I do like it a lot, but I like any bike that fits a tall guy like me.
Old 01-24-24, 12:09 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Excellent choice on the white trim!

"The 80s called. They want their bike back!"
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-24-24, 02:00 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Nice find. Tell the 80's you're keeping it! Don
Old 01-25-24, 07:04 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
This turned up on Marketplace in Bangor a few years back. I had it blasted and coated, graphics by the late, lamented Velocals:

I have since added a white Turbo and proper tires. Take good care of that seatpost!

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 01-25-24, 07:05 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
I re-visited your thread last evening and took a better look at your pictures. I've been curious about differences between the 974 and the other Schwinn Aluminum PDG series of road bikes. I knew the componentry is different, i.e. my 974 is equipped with Shimano 600 Tricolor gear. I also discovered after I purchased mine that I have an aluminum fork and the other models all have steel forks.

What I didn't realize was the difference in the weld finishing and other frame details. Take a look at my rear seat stay junction, the seat post insertion top and top tube junction, and rear dropouts. We can really see how the frame builders spent more time filing and smoothing the welds prior to painting.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 02-03-24 at 08:13 AM.
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-25-24, 10:04 AM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Take good care of that seatpost!

Top[/QUOTE]
Oh I will. I found a backup on eBay, and got it immediately.
Old 01-25-24, 10:08 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Finding one of those seat posts that isn't cracked is like finding a unicorn drizzled in pixie dust. I bought a used 564 a few years ago that I never could find a replacement seatpost for. The bike eventually went to a local bike co-op, likely to be scavenged for parts.
Old 01-26-24, 01:24 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
If you look online you can find a couple stories where someone angle cut a standard seatpost in the same fashion as a wedge and created an expander seatpost. I was unsuccessful in duplicating their efforts. And I think I saw an expensive seatpost show up for sale occasionally, similar to a Campy but someone else, if price was no object.