Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I purchased a crazy collection! New video. It about more than just bicycles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24, 09:05 AM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts

Hey guys,
This video is about more than just bicycles. It might be worth a look. However the bikes are amazing. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Thanks guys

John

Last edited by jjhabbs; 03-16-24 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-16-24, 10:43 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
Who ARE you??

I kid. Your videos and collection are always great to see. Thanks for sharing.
Likes For The_Joe:
Old 03-16-24, 11:17 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Looking forward to hearing about the Condor and its history! It's been discussed a bit in previous threads, and I'm hoping that we've gotten better data since then??

The Hetchins is a beauty too! Interesting to learn that Mr. Brooks had ordered it himself. The Hetchins.org website is probably the best source for info on this marque, and it does have a page discussing the Hetchins production data. My Hetchins was built in 1987 when Bob Jackson was the owner of the Hetchins name. Bob Jackson built them until sometime in 1993, when David Miller acquired the marque and began producing the bikes.
Details are here.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-16-24, 11:42 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
I'll have to put this on the telly later. Someone has to show me how to edit / lash seperate videos together.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-16-24, 12:01 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
The parts stash is insane! It's like Christmas every month with you John!
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-16-24, 10:07 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Looking forward to hearing about the Condor and its history! It's been discussed a bit in previous threads, and I'm hoping that we've gotten better data since then??

The Hetchins is a beauty too! Interesting to learn that Mr. Brooks had ordered it himself. The Hetchins.org website is probably the best source for info on this marque, and it does have a page discussing the Hetchins production data. My Hetchins was built in 1987 when Bob Jackson was the owner of the Hetchins name. Bob Jackson built them until sometime in 1993, when David Miller acquired the marque and began producing the bikes.
Details are here.

Steve in Peoria
That's crazy Steve,
According to that link I got 1 of only 3 made that last year???

Thats nuts

John
Old 03-17-24, 06:54 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
That's quite a collection, glad it's in good hands. Do you have enough space? Or is an addition or remodel coming? Don
Old 03-17-24, 07:28 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by jjhabbs
That's crazy Steve,
According to that link I got 1 of only 3 made that last year???

Thats nuts

John
I'm not sure how to interpret that last bit of data either. Since 1993 is the last year for which data is presented, and that's the year that Bob Jackson handed production over to David Miller, I'm guessing that Bob Jackson built 3 Hetchins, and David Miller just hasn't provided info on how many he has built.

Steve in Peoria
Old 03-17-24, 10:46 AM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm not sure how to interpret that last bit of data either. Since 1993 is the last year for which data is presented, and that's the year that Bob Jackson handed production over to David Miller, I'm guessing that Bob Jackson built 3 Hetchins, and David Miller just hasn't provided info on how many he has built.

Steve in Peoria
Yeah Steve,
I Have a lot to learn! I'll have to do some research and Emails!

John
Old 03-17-24, 10:50 AM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
That's quite a collection, glad it's in good hands. Do you have enough space? Or is an addition or remodel coming? Don
Hey Don,
I do have the room. However I want to sell the Green 2001 Audi TT that is in the garage. Plus the VW is going back to my Sister In-law's in April. All remodeling is cosmetic plus adding a couple cabinets. I will also bring some bikes home to the shop in the basement. If you haven't seen that check out my older videos. The collection is getting out of hand. Im at 65 bikes. crazy

Thanks
John
Old 03-17-24, 11:48 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Yeah Steve,
I Have a lot to learn! I'll have to do some research and Emails!

John
I should mention that my Bob Jackson Hetchins has a serial number in the format XXYYY, where XX is "87" and indicates that it was built in 1987. The "YYY" is just a 3 digit number.
I have no idea what numbering system David Miller used, but if your serial number is different from XXYYY, it could indicate that it is a Miller Hetchins.

edit: being the clever guy that I am, I checked the Hetchins site *after* writing the text above. d'oh!
anyway, it does have some very helpful info!

"Jackson continued using 86xxx & 87xxx numbers, where x stands for sequential production. 86xxx numbers appear to have been built in 1986; 87xxx started in 1987 and continued until 1993."

"David Miller separated Hetchins from Jackson in the period from about April to July 1993. He has used a 2-digit year prefix plus a 2-digit production suffix. David Miller's production suffix restarts for each year, but is not always sequential because some customers choose their own suffixes. For 2020, 20xx numbers would have overlapped with 1962 numbers, hence, the first frame ordered in 2020 bore the number 2020 00."

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 03-17-24 at 11:56 AM.