Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need Sachs Torpedo parts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need Sachs Torpedo parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 07:48 PM
bikemeister

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Need Sachs Torpedo parts

Took apart my 3-speed Torpedo today to redo the grease and flush out the old oil. And I managed to break the sliding block in half! ARRRGH! This has happened to me on another bike when I used the wrong shifter. That little peg of steel is so thin it just breaks too easily.

So, now the hub is in pieces until I secure another sliding block. I'm kinda frustrated, as this project has endured one setback after another. I'm about ready to chuck the whole deal, as I should probably devote the time to other projects. But if I can find the part, I'll give it one last try. Anybody have any leads?
Old 06-23-12, 08:20 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Google

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 06-23-12, 08:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
I don't want to discourage you, especially because it seems like you don't need any more. But I don't think you're likely to find internal parts easily. Years ago, when these hubs were still in production, we used to import a number of bikes used them. Even then there was no parts support. We brought in key spare parts from Italy (where the bikes were made). For the few times we needed an internal part, we relied on the trashed parts bin (OK hubs in trashed wheels).

The best shot for parts is still a trashed hub. Problem is there aren' that many of them out there, and it might be hard to score one. Most of the bikes these were on were medium to low end, so they were sold to folks who didn't ride much and are collecting dust in garages and basements, or making the rounds of yard sales.

Their owners most likely have no idea what a hub is, never mind knowing the specifics.

BTW- if you ever do get it fixed, and need a trigger or indicator spindle, let me know, I think I still have a box of them in some remote corner of the arehouse.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-24-12, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IDK if the SRAM takeover of Sachs , & shifting the jobs where the other
stuff is made , Asia,
has resulted in availability of interchangeable spare parts ..
with the prior hubs ..

Seems Sturmey Archer has some better spares sourcing..
they did a lot of backwards compatibilities .. at least in 3 speeds..
Old 06-24-12, 11:05 AM
bikemeister

Thanks for the replies. It's my own fault. During re-assembly you have to install the rod/chain to line up the sliding block and hold it in place while you finish putting things together. I have repaired my chain pull with a small cotter pin, and it was getting in the way of the cog bearings, so, I unscrewed it and forget to put it back in next step. The block probably pivoted, and got pinched, and broke in two.
I'm gonna hit the bike salvage next week. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used hub for $5?
I've just piddled around with this apocalypse project for over two years now, and still can't pull it together., Now this. Wondering if I shouldn't just move on to other things that are screaming for attention. It's just hard for me to give up on a mechanical thing. Maybe you guys can relate?
In hindsight I should have gone Sturmey. But woulda, shoulda, coulda is futile.
Old 06-24-12, 11:22 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemeister
Thanks for the replies. It's my own fault. During re-assembly you have to install the rod/chain to line up the sliding block and hold it in place while you finish putting things together. I have repaired my chain pull with a small cotter pin, and it was getting in the way of the cog bearings, so, I unscrewed it and forget to put it back in next step. The block probably pivoted, and got pinched, and broke in two.
I'm gonna hit the bike salvage next week. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used hub for $5?
I've just piddled around with this apocalypse project for over two years now, and still can't pull it together., Now this. Wondering if I shouldn't just move on to other things that are screaming for attention. It's just hard for me to give up on a mechanical thing. Maybe you guys can relate?
In hindsight I should have gone Sturmey. But woulda, shoulda, coulda is futile.

I wouldn't sweat it. In your shoes, I'd back-burner this project, and work on other stuff. But I wouldn't totally give up. Look around casually and put out the word that you're looking for an old hub, possibly in a trashed wheel. Murphy's Law dictates that you'll never find the hub while actively searching, but once you sort of give up, you'll be walking by a garage sale and find some POS bike with the hub sitting there begging to be taken away for $10.00.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-24-12, 06:16 PM
interested

Bikes: Kinesisbikes UK Racelight Tk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemeister
Took apart my 3-speed Torpedo today to redo the grease and flush out the old oil. And I managed to break the sliding block in half! ARRRGH! This has happened to me on another bike when I used the wrong shifter. That little peg of steel is so thin it just breaks too easily.

So, now the hub is in pieces until I secure another sliding block. I'm kinda frustrated, as this project has endured one setback after another. I'm about ready to chuck the whole deal, as I should probably devote the time to other projects. But if I can find the part, I'll give it one last try. Anybody have any leads?
This German site probably has spare parts for all major series of Fichtel & Sachs hubs ever made, and even some for the more obscure (Elan 12 speed IGH) or very old models (pre world war one)
https://www.scheunenfun.de/
He also have entire F&S hubs, F&S tools. There is also a lot of information on the history of F&S hubs, including information on how to date them, production numbers etc.

He has a condensed version of his site here in English:
https://www.torpedo-coasterbrake.com/

Basically you mail him information of
1. what model hub you have ( Eg. Torpedo Model 415 or Model 515 or Model H3111 or whatever). The year of the model (or decade) can sometime be important information. See here for how to identify the year: https://www.torpedo-coasterbrake.com/hub-date.htm

2. The "Order No." of the spare part as it can be found in the pdf file of the original F&S spare part list. Like this one:
https://www.torpedo-coasterbrake.com/...-speed-515.pdf
Eg. "Order No." "512 011 000" "Circlip"
3. How many of these you want.
4. From where in the world you are ordering from

He will then mail you a quote on the price of the spare parts and shipping costs.

Common parts for the common series are cheap as can be seen here:
https://www.scheunenfun.de/images/mod...ret/preise.gif

There is a minimum 10 euro order limit, so if you buy a 2 euro dustcap, you may as well order 2 and eg. some bearings.

--
Regards
Old 06-24-12, 08:31 PM
bikemeister

Thanks, interested. I think this is "Don Torpedo's" site. I am aware of him, and he was my second option if I go the repair route. Being he's in Europe I figured the shipping and delivery times would be large. But it looks like he has the part. Probably buy 5 of the darn things and keep spares!
His site says he is out of the office until July 2nd.