Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

New York City to Boston in one day

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 06:33 PM
nd2010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New York City to Boston in one day

Is it possible for me to attempt a ride from New York to Boston in one day, without stopping for an extended period?

My longest continuous ride was from Trenton, NJ to Montauk, NY. After taking out the miles between Newark, NJ and Queens (I "cheated" by taking the subway to avoid city traffic) its about 150 miles. And I was exhausted at the end. This route was mostly flat
Old 07-29-13, 07:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
that's a pretty long day, about 400 kilometers. The trick would be to find a route. People ride 400k in a single day all the time, but we typically work up to it. I have heard it gets hilly around Boston, I've never ridden in that area though.

I'm always exhausted after a long ride. I'm exhausted after riding 200k, 300k, 400k. So that doesn't work too well as a criteria for me. I was a little concerned last year in August because I was exhausted after riding 200k, but then later that month I rode 1200k without issues.
Old 07-29-13, 10:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
People ride 400k's all the time, but they're usually loops or out-and-backs. If you do it as a one-way, you have a possibility of having headwind the whole way. And on the 400k's, the stopping points are pre-defined, so you don't have to worry about where you're going to find food or water. And, in this area, they're on rural roads where you can go miles without stopping, not sure how that compares to the countryside up there.
Old 07-30-13, 09:57 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nd2010
Is it possible for me to attempt a ride from New York to Boston in one day, without stopping for an extended period?

My longest continuous ride was from Trenton, NJ to Montauk, NY. After taking out the miles between Newark, NJ and Queens (I "cheated" by taking the subway to avoid city traffic) its about 150 miles. And I was exhausted at the end. This route was mostly flat
For a straight line ride, it may be about 400km (or 250 miles), which can take anywhere between 18 and 24 hours. The northeastern corner of Connecticut and Central Mass is filled with several steep hills and challenging rolling terrain, so if you've been exhausted by a flat 150 miler, you'll probably need to work up to this level of challenge. Makes a great 2014 goal!

I did New York to Boston over three days about 10+ years ago, and I recall that getting out of New York can be a bit slow due to traffic, but you can cover a lot of ground in Southern CT relatively quickly. It's the middle section once you cross the Connecticut River and get into places like Windsor and Stafford Springs that you'll really start to get challenged.