Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Differences between 3T Funda Pro and Rigida Pro?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 03:45 PM
konman795

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, looking to get a new fork and from the research I've done so far, lots of people seem to like the 3T forks for price-performance ratio. I'm swapping out an aluminum fork on my track frame and am having a hard time seeing what the differences are between the two other than the small weight difference and rake options. Please forgive my noobness in advance. Tried to find comparisons on Google between the two but I had no luck. Can anyone help a beginner out?

FUNDA PRO - Forks - 3T Cycling Road
RIGIDA PRO - Forks - 3T Cycling Road
Old 07-06-14, 03:53 PM
konman795

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm just wondering if that really is all there is to them. Trying to understand if there is an advantage to the way it's designed or if anyone has had better experiences with one over the other before I drop a couple hundred for the fork D:
Old 07-06-14, 03:57 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
You want to pay attention to:

Steerer size & rake more than weight. Those are what matter.
The Funda, although more expensive out of the duo has more options for both.

Both 3T forks respectively are meant for road bikes with more rake. Not really a shock as 3T primary makes their living off road bikes.
Track forks have less rake. A standard modern track bike have rake that ranges from ~40mm to as low as ~<30mm.

You can get the definition for rake here: Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Ra-Re
Old 07-07-14, 10:06 AM
thermalattorney
Bike Nerd

Bikes: '04 Cannondale Track, Custom Steel Disc Road Di2, Rock Lobster CX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Leukybear is right. You need to make sure the fork fits. Right now it looks like the Rigida is only available with tapered steerers so you can cross that off your list.

I own a Funda Pro and it's a slick looking fork. At 384g it's heavier than an Easton EC90 SL/SLX or ENVE Road 2.0 so it really comes down to price. In my case I got mine on clearance for $170 which made it a no-brainer.

As for difference in rake, there simply aren't that many high-end carbon forks with <40mm rake. ENVE discontinued their track forks, leaving Leader's I806-TR V2 and Planet X's carbon track fork. Years ago I swapped out the stock 28mm rake fork on my '08 Felt TK2 for a 40mm Ouzo Pro and the handling wasn't ruined. What frame is this going on?
Old 07-07-14, 12:44 PM
konman795

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is going on a Leader 725. After doing some more research, I found a tapered Funda Pro on eBay for $200. I saw that Cane Creek has some headsets that can adapt to a 1.5 inch tapered fork. I think it may still be worth it to get the ~$50 headset and $200 fork. What do you guys think? Or should I just try to find a non-tapered fork at this point.
Old 07-07-14, 03:02 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested in in this thread. When I get back from Germany I'd like to build a leader and I too was looking at 3t forks.
Old 07-07-14, 04:48 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since a leader 725 is more of a street bike anyway, would the 700c, 43mm rake 3t funda pro be a great fork for the frame? It's what I've had my eye on but in all honesty I know nothing about rake of forks and which forks go with which frames.
Old 07-07-14, 05:48 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by murrellington
Since a leader 725 is more of a street bike anyway, would the 700c, 43mm rake 3t funda pro be a great fork for the frame? It's what I've had my eye on but in all honesty I know nothing about rake of forks and which forks go with which frames.
Actually, the Leader 725 has pretty aggressive track geo with a 74 degree head angle, which is why all the Leader forks designed to be used with it have only 28mm of offset (rake). A 43mm fork may not provide sufficient trail and make the handling a bit unstable.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-07-14, 11:32 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's good to know thanks a lot. The 3t looks sick but I guess I should stick with a leader then.
Old 07-08-14, 09:33 AM
konman795

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'll have to stick with the Leader fork too. Don't want to die on the streets. Thanks for the help guys.