Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

KICKR Climb benefits?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

KICKR Climb benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 04:07 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
KICKR Climb benefits?

Will be getting a smart trainer when they go on sale in a couple of weeks. Leaning towards the Wahoo KICKR (I realize they had issues at launch, those seem to be better now) and wondering whether there is any training benefit to the Climb?

Specifically, I am wondering whether changing the incline of the bike makes for more effective training for climbing IRL? I have not seen this addressed in any review I’ve read online. In my experience riding at X watts on the flats is not comparable to the same wattage on a climb, especially the steeper it gets. I assume this would have to do with recruitment of different muscle groups? It would make sense to me therefore that working out on the (flat) trainer would not directly translate to climbing on the road. What I can’t figure out is whether the Climb provides for more hill-specific training. I ride gravel on the east coast which tends to feature short and steep climbs, so am interested in any advantage I can get preparing for grades above 10%.
Old 10-29-19, 11:10 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I rode the Climb once and I didn't see the benefit myself, but it was a flawed ride. I was at Bike Expo NYC, the package pickup event for the 5 boro bike tour, and it was on display for trying. I got on the bike and was chatting with the sales guy but also riding and I wasn't paying attention when the incline went to 8%. I couldn't keep up with that on the trainer and just came to a dead stop. Trying to get going again was difficult because there is no give to the trainer resistance.