Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVI

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVI

Old 11-15-19, 10:17 AM
  #2651  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,278

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
Wut? As a lefty I have always run my front brake lever on the right. Drives people
crazy.
Who was it a couple years ago at TdF -- I think it was Tejay -- had to borrow a teammates bike during the middle of a stage and nearly died on a descent because he didn't realize the teammate had the front brake lever on the right.

That's what I worry about.

(Let's all ignore the fact that I'm not in the TdF, or in Europe, or any place with long descents, nor on a team, and rarely ride with other people, and have never actually been in a situation in which someone needed to ride my bike to finish a stage, or for any other reason.)

Totally valid!
ksryder is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 10:17 AM
  #2652  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 30,141

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10025 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
I only eat stroopwafels when they are given out on United flights. I think I can afford those calories. Now if I were still traveling on business, that might not be true.
Lately I have been eating "Nature's Bakery" fig bars for my mid-ride fuel, but I do like me some good stroopwafels. Will try to swing by Aldi's this weekend and try some.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 10:31 AM
  #2653  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,278

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 170 Posts
I'm still eating leftover halloween mini-snickers as ride fuel. This says less about the amount of candy we bought and more about the amount of riding I have not been doing.
ksryder is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 10:33 AM
  #2654  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 12,094

Bikes: 72 Schwinn World Voyageur, 78 Schwinn World(upright town bike), 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 88 Centurion Ironman Expert,92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5118 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
I only eat stroopwafels when they are given out on United flights. I think I can afford those calories. Now if I were still traveling on business, that might not be true.
Yes
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 10:34 AM
  #2655  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 46,056

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6627 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Nuclear option is get a recumbent.
Goes without saying.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 10:37 AM
  #2656  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 12,094

Bikes: 72 Schwinn World Voyageur, 78 Schwinn World(upright town bike), 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 88 Centurion Ironman Expert,92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5118 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 75 Posts
Bananas are about the only mid ride fuel I consume anymore. And on that note, if I get out now I may have a chance. There was light drizzle for the dog walk, from which I've just returned.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 10:38 AM
  #2657  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 12,094

Bikes: 72 Schwinn World Voyageur, 78 Schwinn World(upright town bike), 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 88 Centurion Ironman Expert,92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5118 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Goes without saying.
And yet it was said. Twice.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 11:22 AM
  #2658  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 26,378

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 321 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10112 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 352 Posts
Holy schnikidies, folks - that was, uh... fun.

I started my Sufferfest trial today. The major thing that differentiates them from others is that they test you all along your power curve, instead of tailoring everything based solely upon your FTP. They call it 4DP and, within one hour, you'll have all-out tests at 5 sec (twice), 5 min, 20 min and 60 sec. Ouchy. After completing the test, they'll tell you which aspect sucks less than the others and give you an idea of your rider type.

As predicted, they told me that I'm a climber.

Okay, jk. They say I'm a Pursuiter - "If you have five minutes to give it everything, no one else has a chance. You may lack the kick of the true sprinter or the steady, diesel-like power of the breakaway specialist, but you can put your head down and do serious damage on the track or shorter time trials. As a Pursuiter, you have Maximal Aerobic Power to spare. That 5-minute effort in Full Frontal? That’s your happy place. "

That actually sounds about right.

Even though I'm only one day in to my trial with Sufferfest, this is feeling much more up my alley vs Zwift.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 11-15-19, 11:33 AM
  #2659  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 4,040

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Holy schnikidies, folks - that was, uh... fun.

I started my Sufferfest trial today. The major thing that differentiates them from others is that they test you all along your power curve, instead of tailoring everything based solely upon your FTP. They call it 4DP and, within one hour, you'll have all-out tests at 5 sec (twice), 5 min, 20 min and 60 sec. Ouchy. After completing the test, they'll tell you which aspect sucks less than the others and give you an idea of your rider type.

As predicted, they told me that I'm a climber.

Okay, jk. They say I'm a Pursuiter - "If you have five minutes to give it everything, no one else has a chance. You may lack the kick of the true sprinter or the steady, diesel-like power of the breakaway specialist, but you can put your head down and do serious damage on the track or shorter time trials. As a Pursuiter, you have Maximal Aerobic Power to spare. That 5-minute effort in Full Frontal? That’s your happy place. "

That actually sounds about right.

Even though I'm only one day in to my trial with Sufferfest, this is feeling much more up my alley vs Zwift.
Nice! intervals.icu told me I was a Cat V time trialist. Now that's some serious shade!

I suppose I can comfort myself with the knowledge that it doesn't know how old I am.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 11-15-19 at 11:38 AM.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 11:37 AM
  #2660  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 26,289

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 285 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Nuclear option is get a recumbent.
I've not tried one but methinks I would freak out having such a low profile in traffic. Just to ride mups is a possibility.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 11:39 AM
  #2661  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 26,289

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 285 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Might not work for you, but I found rehab, and then gym work, directed at the deep neck muscles after my surgical adventure, very helpful. I have mechanically limited extension, but still manage about a 4" seat-bars drop on the road bike and could probably go down a 5mm spacer.

I may also have gotten better at lifting my eyebrows and rolling my eyeballs up.
Hmmm, neck exercises are worth a try.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 11:43 AM
  #2662  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 26,378

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 321 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10112 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Nice! intervals.icu told me I was a Cat V time trialist. Now that's some serious shade!

I suppose I can comfort myself with the knowledge that it doesn't know how old I am.
Lol. You have to enter your age and weight with Sufferfest, so no hiding.

Just looked at my Strava power curve for the ride. Yeah. Pretty much re-wrote everything shorter 45 minutes, so either it was a tough ride or I've been a big effin' slacker for the last 6 weeks.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 11-15-19, 11:44 AM
  #2663  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 4,040

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Hmmm, neck exercises are worth a try.
While my C-spine was going to hell and I had repeated attacks of neck stiffness and pain, they gave me lots of stretching exercises, which were of minimal help. It was only after they rebuilt the damn thing that they (other people) started with strengh training and I haven't had a stiff neck since. I have to wonder if some of that early on would have slowed the degenerative process.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 11-15-19 at 11:49 AM.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 11:45 AM
  #2664  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 26,289

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 285 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
Who was it a couple years ago at TdF -- I think it was Tejay -- had to borrow a teammates bike during the middle of a stage and nearly died on a descent because he didn't realize the teammate had the front brake lever on the right.

That's what I worry about.

(Let's all ignore the fact that I'm not in the TdF, or in Europe, or any place with long descents, nor on a team, and rarely ride with other people, and have never actually been in a situation in which someone needed to ride my bike to finish a stage, or for any other reason.)

Totally valid!
But your point is valid. I was just getting up to speed on a mup and was so awkward trying to shift with my right and steer with my left I almost rode down a steep ravine. It was pretty scary, I had to stop and say WTF a few times before my old memory kicked in.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 11:49 AM
  #2665  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 4,040

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Lol. You have to enter your age and weight with Sufferfest, so no hiding.

Just looked at my Strava power curve for the ride. Yeah. Pretty much re-wrote everything shorter 45 minutes, so either it was a tough ride or I've been a big effin' slacker for the last 6 weeks.
Should have said, it knows; it just doesn't care.

So, what was the test? Got a link to a chart?
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 11:50 AM
  #2666  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,278

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
But your point is valid. I was just getting up to speed on a mup and was so awkward trying to shift with my right and steer with my left I almost rode down a steep ravine. It was pretty scary, I had to stop and say WTF a few times before my old memory kicked in.
Yeah I might do that this winter while I'm hibernating and getting fat and weak instead of working out. At least on my gravel bike because with gravel THERE ARE NO RULES. [insert devils horns emoji in your imagination here]
ksryder is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 12:08 PM
  #2667  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,791

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
But your point is valid. I was just getting up to speed on a mup and was so awkward trying to shift with my right and steer with my left I almost rode down a steep ravine. It was pretty scary, I had to stop and say WTF a few times before my old memory kicked in.
Stop copying me.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 12:23 PM
  #2668  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 30,141

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10025 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
Yeah I might do that this winter while I'm hibernating and getting fat and weak instead of working out. At least on my gravel bike because with gravel THERE ARE NO RULES. [insert devils horns emoji in your imagination here]
I thought that was Outback Steakhouse. No rules, just right.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 12:25 PM
  #2669  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 26,378

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 321 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10112 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Should have said, it knows; it just doesn't care.

So, what was the test? Got a link to a chart?
4DP Full Frontal -



Magenta is the sprints, yellow is the 5 min test. Big blue block is the 20 min FTP - since it follows the super fun 5 min test, they don't knock you 5% like a typical 20 min test. Then the orange is a 60 sec test which also gives them an idea of how you recover from efforts and how big of a matchbook you have in your pocket.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 11-15-19, 12:27 PM
  #2670  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,315
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Maybe next year.
Go Cubs.

Maybe get one of those adjustable stems. Flip it. Up. Fredly but maybe you get four days next year.
sbxx1985 is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 12:33 PM
  #2671  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,315
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
But your point is valid. I was just getting up to speed on a mup and was so awkward trying to shift with my right and steer with my left I almost rode down a steep ravine. It was pretty scary, I had to stop and say WTF a few times before my old memory kicked in.
You could also splurge and get modern shifting and a new stem, leaving both hands on the bars. Maybe even a new bike with comfort geometry for tall old men.
sbxx1985 is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 12:36 PM
  #2672  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,315
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Nice! intervals.icu told me I was a Cat V time trialist. Now that's some serious shade!

I suppose I can comfort myself with the knowledge that it doesn't know how old I am.
Everyone is a Cat 5. That's where it starts.
sbxx1985 is offline  
Old 11-15-19, 12:37 PM
  #2673  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 26,378

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 321 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10112 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985 View Post
You could also splurge and get modern shifting and a new stem, leaving both hands on the bars.
What's with all this crazy talk?!
WhyFi is online now  
Old 11-15-19, 12:43 PM
  #2674  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 16,707

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Holy schnikidies, folks - that was, uh... fun.

I started my Sufferfest trial today. The major thing that differentiates them from others is that they test you all along your power curve, instead of tailoring everything based solely upon your FTP. They call it 4DP and, within one hour, you'll have all-out tests at 5 sec (twice), 5 min, 20 min and 60 sec. Ouchy. After completing the test, they'll tell you which aspect sucks less than the others and give you an idea of your rider type.

As predicted, they told me that I'm a climber.

Okay, jk. They say I'm a Pursuiter - "If you have five minutes to give it everything, no one else has a chance. You may lack the kick of the true sprinter or the steady, diesel-like power of the breakaway specialist, but you can put your head down and do serious damage on the track or shorter time trials. As a Pursuiter, you have Maximal Aerobic Power to spare. That 5-minute effort in Full Frontal? That’s your happy place. "

That actually sounds about right.

Even though I'm only one day in to my trial with Sufferfest, this is feeling much more up my alley vs Zwift.
This is the type of stuff that hangs in the shop that the power test was developed. Cogan went batty on him, saying it was crap, but it seems to work. Neal does a lot for Sufferfest, though I'm not sure how much of it is actually "his", as it were.



He's Rohan Dennis' coach. Word on the street is he's pretty speedy too.

__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 11-15-19, 12:51 PM
  #2675  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 30,141

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10025 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 278 Posts
Full Frontal??

Family forum!

Reported.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.