Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Crash strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 10:49 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Some of us have studied physics. You are wrong in your assumptions.

Just stop. You're not helping your case here.

and your first instinct is wrong. Instinct also tells you that you should put your hands out to try to stop the fall and/or protect your head. That works well for our monkey brains and walking speed but our monkey brains fool us when we get faster than walking speed.

I'm not speaking to instinct. When you're starting a roll it's better to initiate with your hand nearer the ground than handlebar height. That comes from being taught by true experts who are much more skilled than you or me, a large number of repetitions, and practical experience. If you're turning over with your hands waist high, that's how you land on your back. That's OK if you know how, but it's not how you want to start a roll.

Look up Kote gaeshi and the hand placement for a break-fall throw as opposed to allowing the attacker to roll out.

Additionally, you aren't going to "roll" all that far. If you let go of the bike, chances are that the bike is going to travel further than you and it will hit you, risking further injury. Holding onto the bike provides at least a little crumple zone so that the body doesn't take the full brunt of the impact. If nothing else, hanging onto the bars keeps you from putting your hands out.

I'm not sure how to approach this, since it's based on a lot of incorrect assumptions. Presumably because as you admit, you have no knowledge or formal experience in break-falls and tumbling.

First, let's nail it down that if we're talking about a roll it's primarily an over the front incident. There isn't any "crumple zone" - the bike isn't going to hit underneath you, or crumple or anything like that.

Second, it's a literal roll, not just bouncing on the ground turning over and over. It doesn't matter how far you roll, except that it's far enough to spread out the change in momentum.

When you do roll, you're going farther than the bike will slide. It's better to have separation from the bike than to get tangled up with it. But more importantly, you can't actually perform a roll while holding onto a bike.
Old 11-19-19, 10:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 1,833 Posts
Enough talk. Let's see some video of testing. Start with a person stepping out of a speeding car .... won't be much to argue about after that, probably.
wphamilton

How about you give us a vector diagram for momentum. I can run the vector diagram for momentum in my head and the vector for the momentum downwards is infinitesimally small compared to the size of the forward momentum...especially in your 100 mph scenario. You are the one making the claim, show us how it works.
Now work out change in momentum, each vector.
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Okay. Firsdt of all ... sorry, but the idea that speed is irrelvant is Nonsense. Your speed increases the force with which you hit (F=MA.) If you are falling standing, or falling while moving forward at 20 mph, you will Not hit with the same force. Sorry, it's physics.

Anyone who doubts this, have a friend drive you down the highway; when the car hits 65 mph, gently step out of the car. You will only be falling six inches so you come back and tell us about it. Thanks.

As for reaction time---it is partly training, partly reflex.

I Always fight to stay up because I Don't Like Crashing. Can't pinpoint why ... maybe the damage to the bike, maybe the damage to the rider ... some reason.

If I have time.

Some crashes have been so fast, I was hitting pavement before I could move ... maybe a slight twist, but nothing to mitigate the force. other times, I have used a variety of techniques, with more or less success. If I practiced more, I would do it more naturally, but still, some wrecks happen way too fast.

But not all of them. People can Claim that if I could fall with control, I could ride with control and stop the wreck. Those people simply do not know,. Others claim that there is never time to do anything but flop around. Those people simply do not know.

I have been riding on the road, in traffic, for fifty years. I have a bunch of miles off-road. I have crashed a fair bit.

Thing is ... no one needs to validate me. I live my life, so when someone comes along and tells me what I have done is impossible ... okay. Whatever you need to believe.

I will check myself, when someone I respect contests a point. Sometimes my experiences were real but my interpretations were incorrect. obviously I am not infallible or I wouldn't be writing in a thread about crashing.

Agreed because no two crashes are exactly the same. I look at this as I'm playing the odds, which I believe are a lot better if I hold onto the handlebars. Letting go too soon results in giving up in getting control back, and a very high probability that I will injure my hands and/or arms when I hit the ground. There may be crashes where letting go could be the right strategy, I suppose, but I wouldn't bet on my ability to sort them in real time from the ones where I have demonstrated to myself that I do better hanging on.

I think we should all take our own recollections of what we did during crashes with a grain of salt. Everything I've ever learned about human memory suggests that we're likely filling in blanks with guesses and inferences without even knowing it.

I've only gone over the handlebars once in 50 years of riding and that was at the bottom of a hill in San Francisco, I don't think it's very common on flat roads. The vast majority of single-bike accidents I've seen or experienced have involved the bike flipping out from under people for various reasons.
Old 11-19-19, 10:59 AM
wphamilton

Enough talk. Let's see some video of testing. Start with a person stepping out of a speeding car .... won't be much to argue about after that, probably.
I mentioned earlier that I've done this, personally. Motorcycle, not a car, roughly 65 mph.
Old 11-19-19, 10:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're wrong about physics, too, @wphamilton. I suggest you listen again to what the others are saying. They've convinced me, and you haven't.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-19-19, 11:00 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton

(F=MA.) If you are falling standing, or falling while moving forward at 20 mph, you will Not hit with the same force.

Hint: these are not scalar quantities.

No, you won't. The force you experience is going to be related to the initial speed and the final speed and how much time it takes to change. Falling from a moving bicycle and the force involve is influenced more by the forward momentum and the changes in speed than by the vertical change in momentum. Essentially, you are an elastic body hitting another much, much, much larger elastic body. One will bounce a lot and the other won't. Thus all the force goes into the smaller body.

That's why hitting the ground at 100 mph is going to leave a serious dent.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-19-19, 11:03 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Now work out change in momentum, each vector.
I have. The forward momentum goes to zero and the vertical momentum goes to zero. The change in vertical momentum is very small because the velocity is small. The change in the horizontal momentum is huge (and thus the force is huge) because the change in velocity is very large.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-19-19, 11:07 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm pretty sure you're wrong about physics, too, @wphamilton. I suggest you listen again to what the others are saying. They've convinced me, and you haven't.
I'm not interested really interested in "convincing" people about a physics problem, especially when they're arguing with me. I'll give you the facts, take it or not.

But if you want an easy way to visualize the problem, think about an iced-over lake. There's a thin film of water, super-slick. You're somehow going 200 mph, on an skate jet or something (made up device). You fall off, from 2 feet high. How hard do you hit the ice?

edit: disregard atmospheric considerations. 200 is just an example to make it clear.

Last edited by wphamilton; 11-19-19 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-19-19, 11:10 AM
wphamilton

I have. The forward momentum goes to zero and the vertical momentum goes to zero. The change in vertical momentum is very small because the velocity is small. The change in the horizontal momentum is huge (and thus the force is huge) because the change in velocity is very large.
There's your mistake. The horizontal momentum does not go to zero until you stop rolling or sliding. Figure out how long that takes, to derive the horizontal force of impact (ie,from friction or hitting something). The vertical force of impact, as you discovered, is exactly the same as you'd have with zero forward velocity.
Old 11-19-19, 11:24 AM
cyccommute 

Just stop. You're not helping your case here.
Says you. Why don't you show the rest of us how my "case" is wrong?

I'm not speaking to instinct. When you're starting a roll it's better to initiate with your hand nearer the ground than handlebar height. That comes from being taught by true experts who are much more skilled than you or me, a large number of repetitions, and practical experience. If you're turning over with your hands waist high, that's how you land on your back. That's OK if you know how, but it's not how you want to start a roll.
The "true experts" aren't doing rolls at 20 mph. They know better than to try it. As for having your hand nearer the ground, are you going to say that you should actually try to put your hand on the ground during the roll? I've been looking at a lot of Judo videos and none of them put a hand on the ground to initiate a roll. The shoulder is the first body part to hit the ground in all the videos I've seen.

Look up Kote gaeshi and the hand placement for a break-fall throw as opposed to allowing the attacker to roll out.
Yep. Looked it up.

The guy getting thrown never touches the ground with his hand. Where his hand is when the throw is initiated has not relationship to how he hits the ground.

I'm not sure how to approach this, since it's based on a lot of incorrect assumptions. Presumably because as you admit, you have no knowledge or formal experience in break-falls and tumbling.
Nope. No "formal" training. Just a crap ton load of practical experience and a lifetime of not experiencing broken bones while crashing. I have also watched a lot of crash videos and there is very little travel of the riders' bodies following the crash. Riders who crash seldom roll more than a few feet even when there is a downward slope in a crash. Even if you tucked and rolled, you aren't likely to roll more than once over.

First, let's nail it down that if we're talking about a roll it's primarily an over the front incident. There isn't any "crumple zone" - the bike isn't going to hit underneath you, or crumple or anything like that.
Let's talk about more common crashes which are usually falls to the side. Over the bar crashes are rare. Even over the bar crashes seldom end with the rider going straight over the bars. They usually fall to the said as the bike and rider pivot around the front steering axis.

When you do roll, you're going farther than the bike will slide. It's better to have separation from the bike than to get tangled up with it. But more importantly, you can't actually perform a roll while holding onto a bike.
Go look at some of the videos of people crashing with their bikes. If they let go of the bike, the bike becomes an unguided missile that can go anywhere. As for performing the roll while holding onto the bike, you can do it. Again, a roll from a fall is only going to be a fraction of a circle. You won't roll over several times.

Old 11-19-19, 11:32 AM
cyccommute 

I'm not interested really interested in "convincing" people about a physics problem, especially when they're arguing with me. I'll give you the facts, take it or not.

But if you want an easy way to visualize the problem, think about an iced-over lake. There's a thin film of water, super-slick. You're somehow going 200 mph, on an skate jet or something (made up device). You fall off, from 2 feet high. How hard do you hit the ice?

edit: disregard atmospheric considerations. 200 is just an example to make it clear.
Your "facts" are all wrong. If you fall off something going 200 mph from 2 feet high, you hit the ice at 200 mph plus a very small amount of speed added from the vertical vector. You don't hit the ice at the speed you'd expect from falling from 2 feet. It's going to hurt like hitting the ice at 200 mph.

There's your mistake. The horizontal momentum does not go to zero until you stop rolling or sliding. Figure out how long that takes, to derive the horizontal force of impact (ie,from friction or hitting something). The vertical force of impact, as you discovered, is exactly the same as you'd have with zero forward velocity.
There is no "mistake". If you slide or roll it make little difference. The amount of time needed will be a little longer than if you hit the ground with all the momentum in one direction but it will be small enough that it won't make much difference. Hitting the ground at 20 or 100 or 200 mph with a glancing blow isn't going to be all that different from hitting the ground at those speed directly. The end result will be similar.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-19-19, 11:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
@wphamilton, I'm saying your experience of a happy ending after a 65-mph crash may have created a belief for you that is unfounded. You got very lucky, and I think it has led to a misunderstanding.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-19-19, 11:54 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 933 Posts
Step out of the car, please.

Likes For base2:
Old 11-19-19, 12:07 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by noglider
@wphamilton, I'm saying your experience of a happy ending after a 65-mph crash may have created a belief for you that is unfounded. You got very lucky, and I think it has led to a misunderstanding.
My "belief" comes from my degree in Physics.
Old 11-19-19, 12:11 PM
wphamilton

There is no "mistake". If you slide or roll it make little difference. The amount of time needed will be a little longer than if you hit the ground with all the momentum in one direction but it will be small enough that it won't make much difference. Hitting the ground at 20 or 100 or 200 mph with a glancing blow isn't going to be all that different from hitting the ground at those speed directly. The end result will be similar.
Since you won't follow the direction I gave you in figuring it out (which you asked for), I'll just say that my having actually done it proves that you are incorrect here.

And the bolded part is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 11-19-19, 12:39 PM
wphamilton

As for having your hand nearer the ground, are you going to say that you should actually try to put your hand on the ground during the roll? I've been looking at a lot of Judo videos and none of them put a hand on the ground to initiate a roll. The shoulder is the first body part to hit the ground in all the videos I've seen.

Actually you generally do put your hand on the ground. Moreover, a large part of the significance of the hand placement is where it moves your shoulder. Ideally, the palm or back of the hand, the bent arm, the shoulder and the opposite hip are approximating a curve in the same plane.

If, after Kote gaesh I keep your arm high, and pull your balance forward and then arcing down, you will tend to flip in the air and hit flat. If I take it low in the same motion, your flip can be a gentle roll. The difference is where your balance is when you begin torquing over. Relating to the bike, if you keep holding your handlebars over the top, your shoulders will be too high for an easy roll.

I can do a shoulder roll while holding my arm in against my side. It's considered too advanced for beginners and discouraged in practice because it's easy to get the body position wrong.

Yep. Looked it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll1GCzl4Bxg

The guy getting thrown never touches the ground with his hand.

He can't, because the other Black Belt is holding his wrist. But you fixated on the wrong point. I'm telling you about how hand position at the start affects the roll or fall. I don't care if his hands are touching the ground or not.

Notice in the first demos - slow ones - how low the hands are and how easy the roll looks. The later ones are faster, but still low hands allowing the roll (although he adds part of a break-fall technique at times). None of them are high-hand turns that compel a break-fall instead of a roll. You need to keep looking for videos, or else accept my word for it. I'm only blue belt not black belt, but this is very basic for Akido.
Old 11-19-19, 12:49 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by kayak4water
I've had two minor crashes in the last five weeks.
Has anyone practiced flying from their bike?
The best strategy to minimize injuries?
I suppose the ideal (if it can be called that) would be to roll, assuming a speed reasonably slow enough that rolling wouldn't likely damage much.

I've only dumped a handful of times, but IIRC each and every time it was an instantaneous thing. No time for planning or even altering how I landed.

Worst one I had was the front wheel going sideways and sending me straight down onto concrete. No chance to change a thing, in terms of direction, what I landed on, whether to roll or anything. Slid. Got bad abrasions. At ~25mph I can't see how I could have done things differently.
Old 11-19-19, 12:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 1,833 Posts
I mentioned earlier that I've done this, personally. Motorcycle, not a car, roughly 65 mph.
So it won't be a problem to do it again, on video.

Look, you say you won't argue physics with someone who hasn't studied it ... I won't argue physics with someone who doesn't understand it. Anyone, I don't care if his diploma says "Master of Physics," who claims speed doesn't affect force of impact is an idiot. if speed didn't affect impact, there would be no need for safety systems, helmets, none of that ... because a 0 mph impact---that is, No impact---would deliver the same force as an infinitely fast impact. But we all know that the force of impact increases with speed----We All Know That. Or---we Should.

Again, do the test on video. Step out of a car travelling 65 mph. and just walk away unruffled.

Anyone who has watched sportbike racing has seen riders come off at hellacious speeds ... and walk away after sliding. Sometimes, though ... they die. You survived once and somehow decided that landing at any speed is the same. I suggest you be a Real scientist, and repeat the experiment a few times to verify the data.

Not much more to say here. Video, or you got nothing.
Old 11-19-19, 01:04 PM
wphamilton

Look, you say you won't argue physics with someone who hasn't studied it ... I won't argue physics with someone who doesn't understand it. Anyone, I don't care if his diploma says "Master of Physics," who claims speed doesn't affect force of impact is an idiot.

No one has said that. And this will be my last comment to you Mr. Maelochs.
Old 11-19-19, 01:19 PM
wphamilton

I didn't notice that this was a continuation of your question, even if phrased belligerently, so I'll answer.

You absolutely need to find or estimate the time it takes to come to a stop, because the force you feel is the momentum change divided by the time it takes. Literally all of your horizontal momentum is accounted for in this phase (remember your vectors). Once you have done that, then you've accounted for all of the momentum changes and you'll know that vertical momentum is changed in a short time during the initial impact, and horizontal momentum is changed in the period where you are slowing along the ground. Exclusively in that phase.

Your mistake was in assuming that all of the momentum "goes to zero" in the fleeting moments of initial impact.

Regarding your answer to noglider, I'm afraid you got that wrong as well. You will find yourself sliding at 200 mph across the ice. If you believe that part of that impact is from the 200 mph, then where do you think that momentum went??? You're still the same mass, still the same velocity, therefore still have the same momentum.
Old 11-19-19, 01:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

So to sum up, the best strategy for avoiding injury in a crash is to land on a sheet of ice. Got it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-19-19, 01:27 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Boxed in during a crit, riders in front of you touch wheels and go down. You have nowhere to go except into or over them. Your chances of crashing yourself approach 100% so you do what you can to protect yourself.
Your point is well taken. My comments were focused on recreational cycling. But, I would agree that those who race and may have gone down more than once or twice can train themselves to react instinctively. All you have to do is see a crash in Moto GP to know that the racers have prepared to take appropriate measures. I have some friends who have been good enough to be invited to Olympic trials with the US. They tell me I'm a solid rider but I know I'm not like them or even near "real" cyclists.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 11-19-19, 01:31 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So to sum up, the best strategy for avoiding injury in a crash is to land on a sheet of ice. Got it.

-mr. bill
Old 11-19-19, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill

-mr. bill
At this point, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take up judo or physics to deal with the hypothetical situation that could possibly arise under just the right circumstances to allow me to perfectly time a shift in my hand position during landing, but I'm going with neither.

I'm surprised a gymnast, a third base coach and a professional stone-skipper haven't weighed in.

Right now, I'd like to call in a plumber because this thread is circling the drain.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.