Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roval clx, worth the money over Cl? And Reynolds Aero question...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-27-19, 02:59 PM
Lrdchaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

I’ve been looking for a deeper wheel for my 2018 TCR disc and I’ve narrowed it down to either Roval or Reynolds. My question on the Roval wheelset is, for a rider that doesn’t race but wants a solid all around set is there a huge benefit on the clx over the cl?

Also, has anyone run the newer Reynolds blacklabel 46 aero wheels? If so, how do they compare to the Roval’s?
Old 11-27-19, 05:39 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
No. Definitely not worth it.

Wheels are one of those places where you can spend a little money to get the low hanging fruit, and then spend a helluva lot more money for extremely minimal additional gains.

People tend to very easily forget that tubes/tires make a much bigger difference in performance than wheels.

A good pair of tubes/tires and low profile al wheels will be faster than a $3k pair of deep aero wheels with awful tires.

Physics is more important than marketing when it comes to real-world performance.
Old 11-27-19, 07:49 PM
Lrdchaos

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No. Definitely not worth it.

Wheels are one of those places where you can spend a little money to get the low hanging fruit, and then spend a helluva lot more money for extremely minimal additional gains.

People tend to very easily forget that tubes/tires make a much bigger difference in performance than wheels.

A good pair of tubes/tires and low profile al wheels will be faster than a $3k pair of deep aero wheels with awful tires.

Physics is more important than marketing when it comes to real-world performance.
I hear ya. I’m trying to decide if I even need new wheels, well I know I don’t need but I want. I currently run Giant slr 1 30mm carbon wheels with Schwalbe pro ones setup tubeless. They run and ride great, just looking for a little change.
Old 11-27-19, 08:36 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I'll start off by saying that I have a set of the CLX 50's are think that they are phenomenal. As in, I can't imagine a wheel can better than this, phenomenal. But, as to weather or not they are worth the additional cost compared to the CL...I think rubiksoval said it the best; it's a lot of money for minimal gains. I got a really good deal on the CLX's, so that's why I went with them.

Now, when comparing them and the Reynolds to your current SLR 1's, I think that it comes down to your riding style. If you do a fair amount of climbing, then you're probably be better off saving your money and sticking with the SLR's. The lighter weight is a big plus.
If you like to smash it on the flats, then go deeper. The extra weight won't matter much.

The SLR's are a solid wheel, so I don't think you'll gain anything in the stiffness/responsiveness departments by switching.
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 11-30-19, 09:28 PM
Lrdchaos

Well I couldn’t resist...stopped by my specialized store today and they had 25% off specialized products. So I picked up a set a cl50 wheels to try out. Probably a waste of cash, but I figured I work to enjoy my hobbies!
Old 12-01-19, 02:15 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
Well I couldn’t resist...stopped by my specialized store today and they had 25% off specialized products. So I picked up a set a cl50 wheels to try out. Probably a waste of cash, but I figured I work to enjoy my hobbies!
CL50s are probably the best value Spesh wheels. Only a 100gm heavier than the CLX50s, but they use the same rim as the CLX50s and are a lot cheaper. Good choice!