Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best $500 Upgrade to BMC

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best $500 Upgrade to BMC

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-19, 10:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
How does the Varia work in a busy city environment with tons of traffic?
It shows you the gaps in traffic behind you do you have a better idea when to move left to get around an obstacle, without having to look back as often.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-02-19, 01:18 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Those Blackset look interesting. I had not heard of them before. The others I will probably stay away from. The more I have read about carbon clinchers and rim brakes, the more I just think it's a recipe for badness. Even if there were an aluminum brake track, that heat still will be imparted to the surrounding carbon fiber/resin. I'll get carbon wheels with my disc bike. But thank you for suggesting them.
Old 12-02-19, 01:20 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by dscoduc
While not the lightest, these wheels are a great upgrade to what I had.

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/ns-wheelset-4393
I had an FSA crankset on a Wilier that I liked a lot. Why do they say these are for offroad and not road?
Old 12-02-19, 08:18 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wirides
I'd like to know what wheels can be had fir $500 that would make a difference?
get 2 rims (HED Belgium Plus) .... use your existing hubs (or search ebay for good used 2nd hand hubs) and have a wheelbuilder sort it ....
Likes For dim:
Old 12-02-19, 08:36 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I had an FSA crankset on a Wilier that I liked a lot. Why do they say these are for offroad and not road?
I'm guessing it doesn't have an 11 speed freehub body.
Old 12-02-19, 08:37 AM
wirides

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Maybe, but I'm not convinced the rims alone (using the hubs he already has) would make an perceptible difference and that's a lot of messing around. I'm also in the market for some wheel upgrades which is why I'm interested for something reasonably priced that will be worth the investment. Most everything this crazy expensive.
Old 12-02-19, 10:26 AM
bpcyclist

Intrigued by the idea of using some of my Mavics to build my own wheels (with help, obviously). Hadn't even considered it. Gonna look into that some more.

I very much like the idea of the ShockStop and the Varia. I used a mirror for a couple of years, but it kept getting knocked off and ultimately became a headache. Now, I freely admit to constantly looking behind me. Maybe I can make the Varia work in the city somehow.

Looking at Cero and Hunt in the UK. Not super psyched about either, the more I read. Looks like there are actually a bunch of "budget" alum. wheels in Europe, just not so many here. Still doing research here, but I did come across John Neugent in San Luis Obispo (neugentcycling.com), who appears to be making some excellent wheels that are high value for the dollar/GBP/Euro, etc. Going to email him and see what he suggests. He has low visibility because he appears to do, like, no marketing. Already sounds like my type of guy.
Old 12-02-19, 10:37 AM
dscoduc

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I believe they are listed as offroad to appeal to the Cyclocross and Gravel bikes... Plus, they are a little wider rims than usual road tires in order to support the wider tire widths...

I especially like that these hubs can be converted between QR and thru-axle.
Likes For dscoduc:
Old 12-02-19, 12:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Intrigued by the idea of using some of my Mavics to build my own wheels (with help, obviously). Hadn't even considered it. Gonna look into that some more.

I very much like the idea of the ShockStop and the Varia. I used a mirror for a couple of years, but it kept getting knocked off and ultimately became a headache. Now, I freely admit to constantly looking behind me. Maybe I can make the Varia work in the city somehow.

Looking at Cero and Hunt in the UK. Not super psyched about either, the more I read. Looks like there are actually a bunch of "budget" alum. wheels in Europe, just not so many here. Still doing research here, but I did come across John Neugent in San Luis Obispo (neugentcycling.com), who appears to be making some excellent wheels that are high value for the dollar/GBP/Euro, etc. Going to email him and see what he suggests. He has low visibility because he appears to do, like, no marketing. Already sounds like my type of guy.
I know I already said this, I'm going to repeat myself. Plus I'm in front of a computer now and it's easier to type.

I found the Varia radar to be really useful in a city. I think Portland and Seattle are generally pretty similar as cities go. It's not like being in Manhattan.

Pretty much everybody chooses to ride on low traffic streets where they're available. In a car you want to be on the arterials with high speed limits, where all the cars are concentrated, but that does nothing for you on a bike unless you need it to get around a park or to cross a bridge or something. But you'll be on a residential street if there's a good one available, right? So already it's not going off constantly, but still a lot more than when you take your bike out to the country for a scenic ride.

I try to ride as far to the right as it makes sense to. Sometimes you'll have something like a long section of no parking, and one car off on the curb. Or some nasty pavement, or glass from a broken window. And I'll want to get into the traffic lane to go around it. Without the Varia it's more looking behind you to time that, with, you have a pretty good idea when you're going to merge because your head unit doesn't just say there's a car behind you, it shows you how many and their relative positions, including gaps. And it's spooky how accurate the thing is. So you know when to merge, you still need to look back to confirm, but you can spend a lot more of your time looking forward. I think that's especially important in the city because you never know when a kid is going to run out from behind a parked car or tree or something. Or an elderly person.

It's pretty easy to glance down at the head unit for a fraction of a second and take the info in. Mirrors never worked well for me, this is definitely better. Plus, I always saw mirrors as a risk, if you go down hard and face first it's going to be broken glass in front of your eye.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-02-19, 01:42 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Tires. GP5000's with nice tubes (latex or lightweight butyl). Next, Kool Stop Salmon brake pads. $20.] New bar tape of your choice. SRAM SlickWire brake cables. Shimano Dura Ace shifter cables. Get a Varia radar with leftover money.
Old 12-02-19, 07:55 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Those Blackset look interesting. I had not heard of them before. The others I will probably stay away from. The more I have read about carbon clinchers and rim brakes, the more I just think it's a recipe for badness. Even if there were an aluminum brake track, that heat still will be imparted to the surrounding carbon fiber/resin. I'll get carbon wheels with my disc bike. But thank you for suggesting them.
I bought this set; https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/PU...Wheel-Set.html about 4 years ago. I didn't realize BWW still carried them. They spin up quick, a fun wheel to ride aggressively.
Old 12-02-19, 08:03 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
I suggested this before, the Redshift Shockstop stem, so I had to buy it for myself. If you order directly from Redshift it is 20% off, so $119 instead of $149. I'm in no rush to get mine since I'm unlikely to ride outside for awhile. I was really impressed with how not fatigued I was when I rode that Roubaix. If the Redshift is only half as comfortable I'll be very happy.
Likes For zacster:
Old 12-02-19, 08:29 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by 02Giant
I bought this set; https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/PU...Wheel-Set.html about 4 years ago. I didn't realize BWW still carried them. They spin up quick, a fun wheel to ride aggressively.
Thanks for the tip--I think I had heard of Pure, but don't remember where or when. Those are really light, though. I'll definitely check them out.
Old 12-03-19, 10:21 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Is it legal to say here that I've got a Redshift ShockStop stem (100mm) in lightly used condition that I'm selling? (PM me, if you're interested.)

And the Varia tail light CAN be difficult to mount if your BMC has the D-shaped seatpost. I like the Varia a lot. But it prefers round seatposts and, if you use a seat pack, you'll need to make sure you have enough post left to mount the Varia under it. (Oddly, my OPEN doesn't have room for both and my SLR01 has the D-shaped post.)

But a set of wheels that saves 500g (1.1 pounds) may be a decent investment. Contrary to what an earlier poster said, 1.1 pounds is NOT 0.5% of the weight of a BMC SLR02. (I don't think BMC has ever sold a bike that weighed 220 pounds.) It's actually 5% and, because it is rotating mass (see also, gyroscope effect), the lighter wheels will make the bike feel more nimble -- because it is.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 12-03-19, 12:20 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Is it legal to say here that I've got a Redshift ShockStop stem (100mm) in lightly used condition that I'm selling? (PM me, if you're interested.).
Lol - that was quick. That bad, eh?
Old 12-03-19, 12:29 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Lol - that was quick. That bad, eh?
No, it’s actually really good on rough gravel and rock. It was perfect for the Open Range 200k this year. But I’m not planning to do any of that next year and I’m refocusing the OPEN for paved/dirt road use. I think that stem is overkill on the road — and a little portly.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 12-03-19, 01:29 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
No, it’s actually really good on rough gravel and rock. It was perfect for the Open Range 200k this year. But I’m not planning to do any of that next year and I’m refocusing the OPEN for paved/dirt road use. I think that stem is overkill on the road — and a little portly.
I just bought mine to use specifically on road. The Roubaix ride I took was entirely on road and that just smoothed out everything, even the wooden board bridge I crossed on the trail from Sausalito. I also have some ulnar nerve issues and I'm hoping this will help.
Old 12-05-19, 12:13 AM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Curious as to what you end up getting. Santa just brought me my gift early - 2019 BMC Teammachine w/105.... Looking for some upgrades as well.
Old 12-05-19, 12:20 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by aboss3
Curious as to what you end up getting. Santa just brought me my gift early - 2019 BMC Teammachine w/105.... Looking for some upgrades as well.
Nice ride. What color did you get? Mine's sort of charcoal.
Old 12-05-19, 12:26 AM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice ride. What color did you get? Mine's sort of charcoal.

Likes For aboss3:
Old 12-05-19, 03:41 AM
bpcyclist

2018 Version

Likes For bpcyclist: