Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Peloton Girl saga continues...

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-19, 01:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts

...with an Aviation Gin ad.

Exercise bike not included. #AviationGin
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-07-19, 02:13 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2t7lknrK28

Now for a cheap beer ( Keystone Light ) drinking redneck watching college football. You know something dirty with grit
Old 12-07-19, 02:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 12-07-19, 03:52 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The speed at which Aviation Gin got that spot shot and uploaded is nothing short of amazing. And precisely what we're come to expect from Deadpool... err, I mean Ryan Reynolds. I mean, less than a week ago he put a commercial for his gin inside a commercial for his new Netflix movie inside a commercial for a Samsung OLED television. Fantastic.
Old 12-07-19, 04:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've been following that non-story all week. Best soap opera ever.

The timing of the Aviation Gin ad makes me wonder whether Peloton and Ryan Reynolds are in cahoots. It's brilliant.

Personally I found the whole SJW angst to be baffling. I don't know a single woman in my circle of bike friends who got into cycling, Zwift or Peloton to lose weight or please a mate. They all do it for the feelgood buzz we get from exercise, and for the community support. For some of them it's a relief from PTSD from military experiences, TBI, failed marriages, work and family stress. Nobody cares about how they look.

Hell, some of my favorite cycling friends, men and women, are very overweight. They all have enough struggles without worrying about that crap.

One of my cycling friends had a bad injury last year when a dog knocked her off her bike. Not long afterward I was hit by a car and she was among the first to the ER and the last to leave -- she drove me home. The experience shook her confidence badly. She just wasn't her usual jolly and sociable self for almost a full year. She wouldn't even ride her bike around the block. But she got into Zwift, found a compatible virtual community and gradually pulled out of it. Now she's back to riding outdoors with real life friends almost daily.

When I saw the Peloton ads and the actress's expressions, I thought "Helicopter mommy... perfect home... social media influencer... knitted eyebrows and expressions of insecurities... this woman needs this for that rush of endorphins and brain buzz just to cope with life."

Same as me.

The Social Justice Warriors got it badly wrong.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-07-19, 05:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Social justice warriors were last year's boogeyman.
Old 12-09-19, 12:58 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
How do ya'll deal with the buckets of sweat and lack of cooling wind?

I used to ride rollers while watching MASH... and the heat I generated was enough to keep the house warm.

I could also argue that rollers improve your balance and cadence... but I suspect that is a vastly different thread.
Old 12-09-19, 01:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The speed at which Aviation Gin got that spot shot and uploaded is nothing short of amazing. And precisely what we're come to expect from Deadpool... err, I mean Ryan Reynolds. I mean, less than a week ago he put a commercial for his gin inside a commercial for his new Netflix movie inside a commercial for a Samsung OLED television. Fantastic.
I had to look that one up, and I'm so glad I did.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-09-19, 03:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
QLED + 6 Underground + Aviation ad directed by a woman -- girl power! (or actually, we need a crack team of sjw investigative reporters to verify that the ACTUAL director was a woman, not just the actress playing the director)
Old 12-09-19, 06:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by genec

I used to ride rollers while watching MASH... and the heat I generated was enough to keep the house warm.

I could also argue that rollers improve your balance and cadence... but I suspect that is a vastly different thread.
On the indoor trainer I use a tall oscillating fan set to steady. And a towel. Preferably soaked with antidepressants and labeled DON'T PANIC.

I don't sweat much, or enough. Lifelong problem. When I was an amateur boxer I couldn't rely on sweating off a pound to make weight for a tournament. I had to come in at weight without dehydrating. But I was a tall stringbean, naturally skinny, so it was pretty easy for me. Many other boxers needed to hit the sauna or wear plastic workout suits to sweat down to their weight class.

Hydrating with plain water doesn't work for me. Often on the first warm early spring ride or outdoor workout I'll get cramps if I'm not careful. Seemed to mess with my handling of blood sugar too -- lots of bouts with hypoglycemia years ago. Back in the early to mid 1970s before I'd heard of Gatorade (sports drinks weren't heavily advertised then), I found recipes in my grandmother's old cookbooks for stuff called Haymaker's Punch and thirst quenchers similar to Roman posca. Turns out for millenia humans have had the same problem -- hydrating for hard outdoor work in the heat. So many cultures developed thirst quenchers. Usually they contain a small amount of sugar which helps absorb water to avoid bloating. Small amounts of vitamins and electrolytes from stuff added for flavor, and believed to be healthful -- pickling brine, vinegar, honey, herbs and roots, sometimes fermented so there's an active yeast culture.

Then I started using electrolytes, every workout, even on the indoor trainer or calisthenics. Electrolytes seem to encourage my body to perspire more. And my sweat feels kinda soapy. No cramps, and I feel better on hot rides. And I add potassium and magnesium lactate to my pre-ride/workout energy drinks. Works for me.

I've seen some older bikes that obviously had served time on a trainer, or were used with aero bars for time trials/triathlons. Telltale rust spots on the head tube, frame tubing/lug areas, etc. Some folks must sweat a lot more profusely than I do. My bikes will never have that problem. I just don't drip with sweat.
Old 12-09-19, 06:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
600cfm centrifugal blower in an unheated workshop is what I use, and it's not nearly enough-- I still sweat buckets.

In my quick, back-of-the-napkin math, a rider with an average frontal area moving on level ground @ 20mph is passing through ~6,000cfm of air.

Outside of a wind tunnel, I don't think any of us have any hope of matching that.
Old 12-09-19, 06:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Not only the speed with which the Aviation Gin ad was put together, but also how damned clever the concept was and how much the actors and director grokked the zeitgeist. That commercial will work mainly in the moment. A decade from now if anyone sees the Aviation Gin ad it won't make as much sense, or viewers will read something completely different into it, apart from the Peloton kerfluffle.

But the main actress, Monica Ruiz, has an incredibly expressive face without saying a word. I think that's what -- pardon the cliche -- triggered the SJWs. In the Peloton ad her expressions conveyed a complex mix of emotions -- anxiety, fear, determination. I suspect some folks subconsciously related so personally to her entire affect that they were emotionally manipulated in ways the advertiser problem didn't intend.

Apparently she's done a few TV shows too but this whole mess should be great for her career. Although I thought the same thing about Cyrina Fiallo, an incredibly versatile and expressive actress who's mostly known for TV ads. But she's such a chameleon that many folks don't realize they've seen her many times before. I suppose she's doing well making ads but I really thought she'd catch on in movies and TV shows as well.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-09-19, 07:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I tried an indoor trainer for a few weeks, maybe ten years ago. It was awful. I took it outside and it was still awful, just not quite as much. It gave me a lot of sympathy for mice and hamsters running on wheels.

People should do more cross training. I mean, unless you make your living racing bikes, in which case you need the specificity, but if not, other sports and activities that work your cardiovascular system will keep you fit, and make you appreciate the bike more when you return to it. Variety is the spice of life.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-09-19, 07:19 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2t7lknrK28

A couple hours ago I posted to our Regional Discussion Forum Metro Boston thread:
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Other than the first shot is PGH, every(?) other shot in the trailer is Boston. What's it got to do with bicycles? Well, the world on a camera dolly does look a whole lot like the world on a bicycle. Plus there's ONE person riding a bicycle.

But it's got Ryan Reynolds (from American Aviation Gin above).

Anyhow, interesting to see Boston from a "video game" perspective. Could explain alot about people in cars around here. Also love the idea of the "NPC" taking control of their own destiny.

So, next time I have one of those "moments" on a bicycle, I'll just have to remember. It could be worse. It could be Metro Free City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2m-08cOAbc

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I didn't watch the trailer, but speaking of Boston, bicycles, and American Aviation Gin, per our recent discussion about the "Peleton Girl" in Boston:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...ercial-actressAviation Gin,
Previously,
We can rule out she is not actually in Boston, but maybe somewhere nearby? Let's see if we can guess where in Metro Boston they are supposed to be:

Story board below...

-mr. bill
Nice analysis @mr_bill. My guess is Weston
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
i guess Wellesley. …
Well since we’ve veered into generational, Ryan Reynolds (Gen X) hired millennials to pitch his stuff to post-millennials.

BTW, definitely a Weston crowd, the bar is The Liberty Hotel-ish.

Meanwhile, guys around the country are still scratching their heads saying I don’t get what the fuss is about…-mr. bill
[from the now-closed thread] Indeed, I’m surprised that such a seemingly un-PC ad would be launched in our People’s Republic though there is a Peleton store in the Prudential Center in tony Back Bay
Only in the Hub

I thought Weston because outside the window looked more exurban, like Weston, than suburban, like Wellesley, at least to me as a city slicker in Kenmore Square.
Old 12-09-19, 07:35 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I like both of her commercials. Haters gonna hate but I'm a fan.
Likes For Nessism: