Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Eyeglasses/helmet mirror... is it just me?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Eyeglasses/helmet mirror... is it just me?

Old 09-04-19, 08:24 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Rising
I wasted my money on a Take A Look mirror last year. For me (probably due to my vision) it's pretty much useless. It seems to work well for some people, but not for me.
Same for me! I got it for a specific hills ride that was all on road riding and had lots of traffic. I spent more time trying to make it work than using it for its intended purpose. I just decided to turn my head instead.

I would try the bar end version next time though. They seem like a better design IMO.
Old 09-05-19, 05:01 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
"curved handlebars?" As in drop bars, mustache bars, or longhorn steer bars... don't know what you mean by "curved bars."

But I do suspect that a suitable mirror is available... if you desire to use one, you will find it.
Drop bars
Old 09-05-19, 04:41 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
Drop bars
Drop bars are easy... you aren't looking hard enough.
Old 09-05-19, 04:45 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Same for me! I got it for a specific hills ride that was all on road riding and had lots of traffic. I spent more time trying to make it work than using it for its intended purpose. I just decided to turn my head instead.

I would try the bar end version next time though. They seem like a better design IMO.
If there were no differences of option there would be no horse races. Use what works for you. Getting used to a helmet mirror takes some time, and vision problems can factor into it. Since I used one for so long it was just a matter of getting the new one adjusted right and I was happy. I'm far sighted, can't read this screen without glasses but distance vision is fair without - don't know if that makes it easier to use. The main thing I like about helmet/glasses mount mirrors is that by just turning my head slightly I can see back on curved roads or check out all the traffic lanes. Unless the bar mirror is curved that is not an option.

But my wife never did like the helmet mirror and I wound up putting one of the old style Schwinn bar mirrors on her bike.
Old 09-05-19, 05:09 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I bought a bar plug style mirror but I just decided that where I ride I could do without.

Still got it, probably never use it, guess it's time to Craigslist it or something.

Last edited by mynewnchome; 09-05-19 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 06:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
I bought a bar plug style mirror but I just decided that where I ride I could do without.

Still got it, probably never use it, guess it's time to Craigslist it or something.

I tied mirors like that twice and both times I found that me arm blocked the view of the mirror. Now I use a Take-a-look mirror on my sunglasses or a helmet mounted mirror because with either of those I do NOT have to take my eyes of the road or off the traffic ahead of me. Other people? Well TMMV.

Cheers
Old 09-06-19, 07:27 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Drop bars are easy... you aren't looking hard enough.
Not as easy, as they might seem. The handlebar mirror shown in previous posts of this thread. While not ostentatious, the viewing area is small. My father gave me a bigger mirror like that. While having a bigger viewing area. That same bigger viewing area. Became a bigger distraction. Not only for the reason quoted below. But having to focus on a moving object. Is just like, trying to read something, in a moving vehicle.
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I tied mirors like that twice and both times I found that my arm blocked the view of the mirror.
Old 09-06-19, 09:33 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
For commuting I've used this mirror with drop bars perhaps for over 12 years. I don't notice it riding. I remove it for long weekend rides with others.
Old 09-12-19, 01:27 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
Mirror is glass and replaceable but haven't broken one in 4 years of use and the bikes have taken a couple of mirror side dumps.
You must be doing something really right that I was doing really wrong!

Every mirror I've tried mounting there has gotten broken from the bike falling over fairly quickly. Also, vibration was always a big issue, no matter how securely I mounted the mirror.

I now ride with a mirror mounted to my helmet and that avoids both issues.
Old 09-12-19, 01:33 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

In 12yr I've only broken one bar mount mirror. They vibrate a tiny bit, but I can see traffic or a vehicle behind me very far back more than adequately.
Old 09-12-19, 03:06 PM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
You must be doing something really right that I was doing really wrong!

Every mirror I've tried mounting there has gotten broken from the bike falling over fairly quickly. Also, vibration was always a big issue, no matter how securely I mounted the mirror.

I now ride with a mirror mounted to my helmet and that avoids both issues.
All the reviews I read said the same thing about flimsy so I went with one made for motorcycles. Solid with no vibration. It cost more than the crap too but does the job well. I added a bar end mount to get a flush fold over with the added benefit of some shock prevention on a drop. The mirror folds with the drop and the impact force is on the bar end and not the mirror. (more $). I never could get a helmet mirror working quick enough to be useful for myself.

Mirror
CRG - Constructors Racing Group

Bar end mount
CRG - Constructors Racing Group

Last edited by ChrisWagner; 09-12-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-12-19, 03:14 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I accidentally took a pic of my commuter with bar end mirror a few days ago.

(Note the torn up bar wrap, I had a minor crash when riding with my son a couple months ago. Mirror shifted out of the way and was fine.)
Old 09-17-19, 01:49 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I use a helmet-mounted mirror. It's tiny, but shows me what I need to see. I just need to know if there is a car behind me when I come to an intersection. I ride mostly on MUPs and don't need it at all there except to see if my husband is still within sight or if I should slow down and let him catch up.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 09-17-19, 03:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I use a helmet-mounted mirror. It's tiny, but shows me what I need to see. I just need to know if there is a car behind me when I come to an intersection.

I ride mostly on MUPs and don't need it at all there except to see if my husband is still within sight or if I should slow down and let him catch up.
I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones...

This past weekend I rode with a companion on a low-riding recumbent three-wheel trike. I just deflected my right-hand mirror slightly downwards so I didn’t have to crane my neck upwards to see him. The left-hand mirror was still in place to monitor rearward traffic.
Old 09-17-19, 06:54 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I use a helmet-mounted mirror. It's tiny, but shows me what I need to see. I just need to know if there is a car behind me when I come to an intersection. I ride mostly on MUPs and don't need it at all there except to see if my husband is still within sight or if I should slow down and let him catch up.
Old 09-18-19, 05:09 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by noisebeam
In 12yr I've only broken one bar mount mirror. They vibrate a tiny bit, but I can see traffic or a vehicle behind me very far back more than adequately.
Oh, I've broken a few... but still prefer them. Just can't get that mirror near my eyes to work right.

Most of the bar end mirrors I break are due to going through narrow "car gates" or something similar, and doing so at speed, yet slightly misjudging the offset needed to save the mirror.

I really like my new velcro mirror.
Old 09-18-19, 07:39 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Just started using a "Velcro Bar End Mirror" with a red blinkie light attached in addition to my helmet and under seat lights. Seems drivers are giving me a bit more passing distance with the left boundary of the bike being more apparent. BTW, before lighting up the mirror I tried it out and just couldn't make the mirror work as well as my eyeglass mount mirror
Old 09-22-19, 07:13 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
What I like about an eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror is that I can turn my head a bit to scan a large area behind me or see what's behind me when I'm riding in a curve on the road. With a handlebar mounted mirror in a curve on a road I often have a great view of what's in a field but NOT what's behind me. Also with the eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror I can look into the mirror and still see ahead of me. With a handlebar mirrors I have to briefly take my eyes off the road in front of me to glance down at the mirror. Bar end mirrors were the worst for me because my arm blocked my view of them.

The view ahead when looking into an eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror might be out of focus but you can still see what's in front of you.

Cheers
Old 09-23-19, 09:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Seems drivers are giving me a bit more passing distance with the left boundary of the bike being more apparent. BTW, before lighting up the mirror I tried it out and just couldn't make the mirror work as well as my eyeglass mount mirror
encouraging isn't it? I found the same to be true for me when I added a 2nd rear facing strobe on my left drop bar. last year I added a mirror I found at a consignment shop. got a pic? here's mine

Old 09-23-19, 10:30 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
encouraging isn't it? I found the same to be true for me when I added a 2nd rear facing strobe on my left drop bar. last year I added a mirror I found at a consignment shop. got a pic? here's mine

That's the ticket !!!

The bar end mirror didn't work for me since riding on my aerobars prevents viewing so I attached the light to the mirror. Money well spent just in a different way.
Old 09-23-19, 01:20 PM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I accidentally took a pic of my commuter with bar end mirror a few days ago.

(Note the torn up bar wrap, I had a minor crash when riding with my son a couple months ago. Mirror shifted out of the way and was fine.)
How is that mounted? That looks exactly like something I need (I am far sighted and don't think the helmet/glasses mirror will work well).
Old 10-26-19, 06:33 AM
genec
genec

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE.

Well if anybody is still following this thread, and my rant about eyeglass/hemet mirrors and how they don't work for me... here's news...

The dang thing works great in the office as a "who's behind me" mirror at my computer.

I work with my back to the door, due to the office arrangement. Not the best arrangement, to be sure... and on occasion someone pops in and surprises the heck out of me... in a rude way.

Well, I popped that bike mirror up against my computer and braced it with a touch of tape, and I have no problem focusing on it and looking behind me. Of course it is about 20-22 inches away. No wonder I could never focus on it, while attached to my helmet.

I AM using a very nice "velcro on" bar end mirror on my bike. It works great... bit expensive, but heck... I'm worth it.

Anyway, thought you folks would like to know... it was definitely an issue of focal length. And, the mirror has not gone to waste.
Likes For genec:
Old 10-26-19, 06:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE.

Well if anybody is still following this thread, and my rant about eyeglass/hemet mirrors and how they don't work for me... here's news...

The dang thing works great in the office as a "who's behind me" mirror at my computer.

I work with my back to the door, due to the office arrangement. Not the best arrangement, to be sure... and on occasion someone pops in and surprises the heck out of me... in a rude way.

Well, I popped that bike mirror up against my computer and braced it with a touch of tape, and I have no problem focusing on it and looking behind me. Of course it is about 20-22 inches away. No wonder I could never focus on it, while attached to my helmet.

I AM using a very nice "velcro on" bar end mirror on my bike. It works great... bit expensive, but heck... I'm worth it.

Anyway, thought you folks would like to know... it was definitely an issue of focal length. And, the mirror has not gone to waste.
What other bike accesories can be repurposed for the office? I immediatly thought of a bell (actually an AirZound airhorn), but I think a "personal pool noodle" to preserve personal space may be most useful.
Old 10-26-19, 07:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE.

I too work in a similar office environment and have (whimsically) considered and suggested that use to others. I have even posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When we go ballroom dancing on a crowded floor, my wife will sometimes say "Watch behind you."

I once put on my eyeglass-mounted Take-a-Look mirror, but she was not amused.
On a more serious note, I recently had thought that I lost one of my Take-a-Look mirrors (I wear right and left; link).
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Right. Besides, anyone who wears two helmet mirrors, (one on each side) is a not only a safety fanatic but obviously proud to ignore the fashion rules. Both A-OK in my book!
I checked out the website looking for local vendors. I had always bought them “off the rack," so I was surprised to learn that you could order them in different stem lengths. Choose Mirror Size, Original or Compact. Then Choose Stem Length.

The other choice is the compact, or wider original size mirror. When I bought my most recent one, the shop only had the compact size. I was skeptical about it, but with the proper adjustment, as with the original size, it works fine.

Probably more stylish for those persuaded by fashion.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-26-19 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-26-19, 07:53 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by Jungleland
How is that mounted? That looks exactly like something I need (I am far sighted and don't think the helmet/glasses mirror will work well).
There is a provided velcro strap that goes around the mount and hood.
Likes For noisebeam:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.